someone explain the clerkship application process/timeline?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

someone explain the clerkship application process/timeline?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 am

I am a rising 3L interested in a federal clerkship. I have reached out to recommenders and i think my letters will be ready in july, and i am working on my resume, cover letter, writing sample, etc.
I thought applications go out in september - why am I seeing that people have interviews lined up already?

Please explain to me when and how clerkship applications are mailed/sent online

ps - my ocs sucks

forza

Re: someone explain the clerkship application process/timeline?

Postby forza » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 3L interested in a federal clerkship. I have reached out to recommenders and i think my letters will be ready in july, and i am working on my resume, cover letter, writing sample, etc.
I thought applications go out in september - why am I seeing that people have interviews lined up already?

ps - my ocs sucks

Certain judges hire "off-Plan," i.e., they've been looking at applications for months. Often this means that they've hired clerks who have been out working for 1-2 years and don't take kids directly out of law school. Sometimes it means that 2Ls were proactive and sent applications out way early without letters of recommendation (instead just listing references).

Judge Pryor on the 11th Cir., for instance, has filled all his clerk positions through the year 2014. Kinda sucks, but that's the name of the game when the Plan isn't mandatory.

ETA: sending clerkship applications is pretty simple. Big manila envelope, send stuff to judge's chambers. Or get on OSCAR and fill out the online application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 am

what about judges that hire 'on-plan'?
How do I find out if a given judge is on or off plan?
OSCAR is confusing, so is symplicity

When should I have my stuff ready to go?

forza

Postby forza » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:01 am

Last edited by forza on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:26 am

forza wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 3L interested in a federal clerkship. I have reached out to recommenders and i think my letters will be ready in july, and i am working on my resume, cover letter, writing sample, etc.

ps - my ocs sucks

Certain judges hire "off-Plan," i.e., they've been looking at applications for months. Often this means that they've hired clerks who have been out working for 1-2 years and don't take kids directly out of law school. Sometimes it means that 2Ls were proactive and sent applications out way early without letters of recommendation (instead just listing references).

Judge Pryor on the 11th Cir., for instance, has filled all his clerk positions through the year 2014. Kinda sucks, but that's the name of the game when the Plan isn't mandatory.

ETA: sending clerkship applications is pretty simple. Big manila envelope, send stuff to judge's chambers. Or get on OSCAR and fill out the online application.

RE Pryor, do you mean to say he is full for 2013 and 2014? I hadn't heard that...

Return to “Legal Employment”