Applying more than once to the same firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying more than once to the same firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:01 am

If a firm is going to be at multiple job fairs that you'll be attending or at a job fair and then at OCI, is it ok to apply to the firm more than once or should you just choose to apply to the firm at OCI and not the job fair, for instance?

lukertin

Re: Applying more than once to the same firm

Postby lukertin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:02 am

Apply every time, let the firm decide when they want to interview you.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:19 am

You will probably annoy people more than anything but if the firm passes the first time it isn't like you are worse off if they pass a second time. So go for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:12 am

AreJay711 wrote:You will probably annoy people more than anything but if the firm passes the first time it isn't like you are worse off if they pass a second time. So go for it.

What if it's the other way around? What if the firm wanted you the first time, but you passed them up. If you apply again, will they deny you because you denied them? Or will they have the mentality of "once accepted, always accepted."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:39 am

Based on my experience last year, you are unlikely to get multiple screening interview offers.

My school is located in a city that hosts a major regional diversity fair. I was a competitive applicant (top 10% + LR). About 30 firms overlapped at both my OCI and the diversity fair. I ended up with screening interviews with 29 of the 30 firms. Only one firm even offered me two screening interviews. 24 hours after our OCI interview list came out, the firm seemed to realize what it did and called my OCS to cancel the OCI screening interview because they were going to interview me at the fair.

I think the recruiters keep track of applicants across fairs and OCI to prevent multiple screening interviews. I wouldn't chance rejecting a screening interview at a fair while hoping to catch the firm at OCI.

Obviously, my school is preselect, I'm not sure how this would work in a lottery system.

Tip: If there is a lot of overlap between your OCI firms and a fair you are attending and if you are a competitive candidate in a preselect system, take the five or so firms you really, really want and apply for those firms only at OCI. Firms are more serious about OCI than they are about fairs. You'll be more likely to land a CB from the OCI screening interview than the fair interview.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am

I know that firms, in their SA rejection letter, welcomed the candidate to see them at OCI.

Return to “Legal Employment”