Revised Cornell Bidlist

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Revised Cornell Bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 am

3.7 K-JD, no journal most likely, no work experience. Aiming for NYC transaction focused firms but would be open to any work other than litigation. Number 1 priority is getting a job that pays market because I have insane loans I need to pay off.

Keep in mind 3.7 at Cornell is at best top 20%, more likely somewhere between top 20%-25%.

Notable reaches are Debevoise, STB, Wilmerhale, Cleary, DPW, Paul Weiss, and Kirkland & Ellis. Wanted your opinions on how to rank these firms. Thinking about taking Paul Weiss out. I really want STB, Cleary, Debevoise, or DPW most.

Thanks.

Day 1:
1. Latham
2. Milbank
3. Cleary
4. White & Case
5. Davis Polk
6. Fried Frank
7. Cadwalader
8. WilmerHale
9. Ropes & Gray NY
10. Proskauer
11. Schulte Roth
12. Gibson Dunn
13. MoFo NY
14. O’Melveny
15. Seward & Kissel

Day 2:
1. Jones Day NYC
2. Simpson Thatcher
3. Cahill Gordon
4. Sidley Austin NYC
5. Debevoise
6. Paul Hastings
7. Paul Weiss
8. Clifford Chance
9. Willkie Farr
10. Akin Gump
11. Ropes & Gray NYC
12. Arnold & Porter
13. Dechert
14. Weil
15. Goodwin Proctor

Day 3:
1. Shearman & Sterling
2. Kirkland & Ellis
3. Linklaters
4. Freshfields
5. Sutherland
6. Kaye Scholer
7. Pillsbury
8. Reed Smith
9. Baker Hostetler

Arbiter213

Re: Revised Cornell Bidlist

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Good, conservative bidlist, you will definitely do well with. Only question remains, why do you think no journal with a 3.7? Did you completely blow off the writing competition?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Good, conservative bidlist, you will definitely do well with. Only question remains, why do you think no journal with a 3.7? Did you completely blow off the writing competition?

Don't want to give out too much info but most likely only chance to get on a journal is through working on.

What do you think my chances are Debevoise, STB, DPW, and Cleary are? Deb and STB both have GPA averages around .04 higher than mine.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Good, conservative bidlist, you will definitely do well with. Only question remains, why do you think no journal with a 3.7? Did you completely blow off the writing competition?

Don't want to give out too much info but most likely only chance to get on a journal is through working on.

What do you think my chances are Debevoise, STB, DPW, and Cleary are? Deb and STB both have GPA averages around .04 higher than mine.

It's hard to say. I think your positioning them is probably about right with a conservative strategy. I can't speak to the chances of callback, especially without knowing journal vs. no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's hard to say. I think your positioning them is probably about right with a conservative strategy. I can't speak to the chances of callback, especially without knowing journal vs. no.

What if I get onto JLPP or ILJ? Working on to JLPP might be possible but I'm not a minority (white and plain as hell) and don't have anything interesting to say so my PS will suck...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What if I get onto JLPP or ILJ? Working on to JLPP might be possible but I'm not a minority (white and plain as hell) and don't have anything interesting to say so my PS will suck...

The other journals are de rigueur, not a bonus. So no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:09 am

Ok thanks. Although this thread just turned out to be Arbiter giving me advice. Apparently no one else from Cornell cares enough to post :(

Return to “Legal Employment”