What to put on resume to describe SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:16 am

I am a 2L SA at big firm in NYC, I am working on my resume for OCI/clerkships. I worked in all transaction practices plus bankruptcy.
What should I put on my resume to describe my SA position?
Right now I have "Drafted and edited documents, conducted due diligence, observed contract negotiations, and edited literature"

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby forza » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L SA at big firm in NYC, I am working on my resume for OCI/clerkships. I worked in all transaction practices plus bankruptcy.
What should I put on my resume to describe my SA position?
Right now I have "Drafted and edited documents, conducted due diligence, observed contract negotiations, and edited literature"


You need to make it more substantial than that. Describe what the documents were, and what they were for. Describe the due diligence. What kind of literature were you editing, and how?

You should have at least four or five lines under the description for your SA position, as that's likely the most substantial legal experience you'll be listing on your resume.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby johndhi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 pm

forza wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You should have at least four or five lines under the description for your SA position, as that's likely the most substantial legal experience you'll be listing on your resume.


Interesting, I went in another direction with mine. I figured judges have seen the SA position descriptions countless times so they don't need to see another one. Plus, I'd only been at my SA position like 4 weeks by the time I wrote the description. So it's two lines and the rest of my legal experience (Gov't, paralegal prior to law school, etc.) is longer. SA isn't going to make you stand out, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 pm

forza wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L SA at big firm in NYC, I am working on my resume for OCI/clerkships. I worked in all transaction practices plus bankruptcy.
What should I put on my resume to describe my SA position?
Right now I have "Drafted and edited documents, conducted due diligence, observed contract negotiations, and edited literature"


You need to make it more substantial than that. Describe what the documents were, and what they were for. Describe the due diligence. What kind of literature were you editing, and how?

You should have at least four or five lines under the description for your SA position, as that's likely the most substantial legal experience you'll be listing on your resume.


You certainly don't need to do this for judges. In my experience, all you need for judges is: name of the firm, city, and "Summer Associate." The judges and their clerks know what SA's do. Also, if you are still in the application process at the end of the summer, make sure you indicate that you received an offer (e.g., at parentheses after "Summer Associate" put (offer extended)).

For applications to firms, I would try to highlight the experiences that best match with what you are looking for in a new firm. If you found you really like bankruptcy, then I would highlight that on the description if you're trying to jump to Weil or Kirkland for the bankruptcy practices.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:46 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby forza » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:50 pm

...
Last edited by forza on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:22 pm

I have an interview for 2/9/DC clerkship next week.

A prof assured me that judges and clerks know what 1Ls and 2Ls do on the job. So, my SA and externship/internship lines all simply state position, frim/org and location/dates. I detailed only my non-legal experience, and I boiled all that down (multiple jobs, 5+ years) to two lines each.

If you have something truly special, though, then I'd add it. Mostly, though, dont.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby ran12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:02 pm

I think most legal employers know what SAs do. Resumes are supposed to outline accomplishments and no SA is going to have a legit accomplishment over the 2-3 month period so why waste space.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm doing 2 lines, and avoiding the stock "drafted pleadings" or whatever. My clerkship advisor suggested that pretty much everyone knows the standard things SA's do, and so you should limit yourself to a couple specific things that will lead to interview questions. One of mine is "drafted brief supporting summary judgment in matter of first impression" which should, hopefully, set up some softball interview questions about the brief and the topic, etc. Then I can talk about it and try and do well on that question.

Basically, he said you should use it as an opportunity to set yourself up to look good, not just to convey information that everyone knows anyway. Two specific lines about concrete things you did is worth way more than 4-5 forced, generic lines.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: What to put on resume to describe SA?

Postby monkey85 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Basically, he said you should use it as an opportunity to set yourself up to look good, not just to convey information that everyone knows anyway. Two specific lines about concrete things you did is worth way more than 4-5 forced, generic lines.


Agree w kalvano: make your description more specific (whether you make it 1 or 5 lines).

OP, right now your description is really generic:
Anonymous User wrote:"Drafted and edited documents, conducted due diligence, observed contract negotiations, and edited literature"


What documents (purchase agreement, sale agreement, auction/bid agreement? What did you do to them (cross-check the defined terms, edit a certain provision)? What was your portion of the due diligence, did a memo come out of it? What literature, did it turn into a "client alert"?

Give yourself some more credit - at least, if you worked this summer and deserve it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.