Morrison Foerster SF GPA Cutoff

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Morrison Foerster SF GPA Cutoff

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:45 pm

What's the GPA rank cutoff for lower T14? I'm @ Northwestern with CA ties.

I saw on another thread that mofo is not very grade selective, but I just wanted to clarify. (My school's historic callback data - though based only on 30% reporting - says that you need to be top 15% in order to be seriously considered.)

Any leads?

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: Morrison Foerster SF GPA Cutoff

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Whatever it might be, I'm guessing that it's pretty high for IP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 pm

the only real requirement to become an alpha as fukkkk MoFo SF litigator is the ability to unequivocally CRUSH the SF bar scene all up in the marina and pac heights, and the desire to STYLE on dem orrick bros.

but seriously, I don't think the firm is super grade selective so much as it is personality and ties selective. from my t6 I felt like anyone with median grades or better had a shot so long as they had a good personality, brought something to the table, and had sufficient ties to SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:47 am

thanks

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:41 pm

From what I know (and that's a lot), they are very grade selective.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Meh, somewhat helpful: http://www.mofo.com/docs/pdf/0710Vault.pdf Scroll down to 'getting hired' on page two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm

johndhi wrote:From what I know (and that's a lot), they are very grade selective.

Huh. I'm at B, and I know three people who got callbacks with grades that were just a little above median. Two of them got offers.

When dealing with Berkeley students, MoFo doesn't appear to be all that grade selective. Maybe MoFo dips further into the class at B than at other law schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
johndhi wrote:From what I know (and that's a lot), they are very grade selective.

Huh. I'm at B, and I know three people who got callbacks with grades that were just a little above median. Two of them got offers.

When dealing with Berkeley students, MoFo doesn't appear to be all that grade selective. Maybe MoFo dips further into the class at B than at other law schools.

I think this is definitely true. There is a B --> MoFo pipeline, of sorts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm

former mofo SF summer associate here. I got the impression everyone had at least decent grades. there were also a surprising number of transfer students in my class, who must have had very good 1L grades. lots of berkeley students as well, both in the summer class and the firm as a whole. if you throw in berkeley undergrads I'd estimate you'd cover like 20%+ of the entire office.

I do think that the firm considers ties and personality more then tip top grades....I remember one partner joking about how it was strange that the firm "cares about grades now," so I think the focus on grades is relatively new.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Does anyone have any insight into how competitive the MoFo LA office is relative to the SF office?

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Why isn't San Fran like DC and New York, as is don't care about ties? San Fran is just as attractive a city/destination city as those, much more so than DC in my opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 pm

I have spend hours trying to discover this. Can anyone tell me where the rumor about the MoFo litigators in SF started... I hear it everywhere, but I want to know the origin and the credibility before I make my decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 pm

You're not very anonymous when you e-mail the entire school about this.

Just chill out for a second. Bids are already in, your GPA is set in stone, all you can do now is nail the interview if you've got one or hustle to get one if you missed out.

The *rumor* is just a joke, you can ignore it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 pm

mofo sucks for ip lit. trust me. it is super-overrated.
there are like a half dozen better practice groups for ip lit in the bay area

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 am

I just wanna share an anecdote. For God's sake keep me anon, but I think this kind of stuff is super important to get out.

I had a *terrible* callback at MoFo last year. Four or five attorneys. But one guy really ruined it for me, and the other showed up 15 mins late.

Interviewer number two or three typed an email during my interview (?!). I'd been on eight or nine callbacks prior, and this was the rudest thing I'd ever experienced. Then, he went on a "Fuck, shit" rant about whatever he was reading on the email, and totally wasn't listening to whatever I was saying. At one point, he held his finger up as if to say "wait" and I just *SAT* there blinking, during an interview, for about 8 minutes.

Toward the end, he called the next interviewer on the schedule to ask if he/she was in. No response. Another "fuck, shit, fuck" rant. Then, he led me down the hallway to the next person, dropped me off in an empty room, and walked away.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, or should know my place or whatever, but compared to all other firms I'd interviewed with, this was the rudest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have spend hours trying to discover this. Can anyone tell me where the rumor about the MoFo litigators in SF started... I hear it everywhere, but I want to know the origin and the credibility before I make my decision.

Lol. I assume you mean the alpha as FUCK/crushing the SF bar scene/styling on dem orrick bros meme. Think it started on xoxohth. No idea how accurate it is.

Anonymous User wrote:mofo sucks for ip lit. trust me. it is super-overrated.
there are like a half dozen better practice groups for ip lit in the bay area

Two biggest IP cases this year: Oracle v. Google and Apple v. Samsung. Mofo was/is lead counsel in both cases. Lots of great IP shops out there but Mofo is clearly in the top tier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Got a callback at MoFo SF last year with ~top third grades from NU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Does median at CLS have a shot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does median at CLS have a shot?

fwiw median at CLS here, got MoFo NY callback- not super helpful, I know

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm

MoFo SF dips below median at Stanford (and down to median at Boalt), so with ties to the Bay Area and a good interview, I think median at CLS isn't out of the question.

Return to “Legal Employment”