2012 DuPont Minority Job Fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2012 DuPont Minority Job Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:50 am

Anyone else get their invitations? Delaware, 4 interviews. Median at DCNG.

Anonymous User

Re: 2012 DuPont Minority Job Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 am

Nine interviews in Delaware. Top third at GWU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am

Two in LA. One of which is in a small NW market I'm definitely not interested in.
Given what I've seen people say on this board, I'm thinking its not worth going to.
Above median at T14
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bio822

Postby bio822 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 am

so has anyone ever gotten a call back from one of these firms? i got selected for interviews with firms based in states i've never been to in my life...kind of puzzling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am

The DuPont job fair is the biggest joke. Most of the firms that interview don't even hire summers and participate as part of their legal contract with DuPont. Do it only if you're already in the city, since it might make for some good interview practice prior to OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 am

What should I do if I was selected by a firm that's also coming to my OCI? They are one of my top choices and I think I have a good shot with them. Should I take the DuPont interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 am

The email that they sent tells me that there were only six employers participating in LA.
I feel marginally relieved, but this just confirms how small the "fair" is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nine interviews in Delaware. Top third at GWU.

Which markets?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:What should I do if I was selected by a firm that's also coming to my OCI? They are one of my top choices and I think I have a good shot with them. Should I take the DuPont interview?

Interview at OCI. The interviewer at DuPont likely won't even be on the recruiting committee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which markets?

D.C. (x2)
New York City (x2)
Wilmington (x2)
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Charleston

Hadn't heard of the Buffalo and Charleston firms, everyone else is a recognizable name.
It's a two hour drive so I'll of course attend and accept them all. To me it seems like at worst you get practice for OCI and at best you get a damn job. Seems like a pretty good use of a 7 hours on a Saturday to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:14 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What should I do if I was selected by a firm that's also coming to my OCI? They are one of my top choices and I think I have a good shot with them. Should I take the DuPont interview?

Interview at OCI. The interviewer at DuPont likely won't even be on the recruiting committee.

So should I decline the interview at DuPont? We have to accept or decline within the next few days. Or should I take the DuPont interview and still bid on the firm as I would have originally?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

So should I decline the interview at DuPont? We have to accept or decline within the next few days. Or should I take the DuPont interview and still bid on the firm as I would have originally?

How competitive are you for that firm for OCI? If you bid on the firm and accept the DuPont, the firm might ding you during OCI (for having already interviewed at DuPont).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:38 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

How competitive are you for that firm for OCI? If you bid on the firm and accept the DuPont, the firm might ding you during OCI (for having already interviewed at DuPont).

So your advice is to... only interview with firms you're not really interested in? That's a bit counter intuitive. If the firm doesn't take DuPont seriously, why would they ding anyone because of it? Let alone a qualified minority candidate -- it's not like there's a huge surplus of us.

To the anon with the question, do you think you're so overwhelming qualified that you'll even get a screener at OCI? You could end up turning down an interview here and not ever getting one down the road. I'd advise you check your schools OCI stats to see how many of those who bid even received interviews with the firm before deciding to turn down a guaranteed opportunity to get in the room with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So should I decline the interview at DuPont? We have to accept or decline within the next few days. Or should I take the DuPont interview and still bid on the firm as I would have originally?

I'm at their median callback GPA for OCI last year. To the other anon, my school is lottery and I was planning to bid this firm highly, so I think I have a good shot of getting in front of them at OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

So your advice is to... only interview with firms you're not really interested in? That's a bit counter intuitive. If the firm doesn't take DuPont seriously, why would they ding anyone because of it? Let alone a qualified minority candidate -- it's not like there's a huge surplus of us.

Different anon. Very competitive URM last year, did nearly 40 screeners between DuPont, URm Fair and OCI.

There was a lot of overlap of firms at the 3 screening locations. Not one single firm allowed me to do 2 screeners. One firm gave me a second screener, realized its mistake and canceled my second screener.

IMHO, recruiters grant screeners and keep track of who they interview.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So your advice is to... only interview with firms you're not really interested in? That's a bit counter intuitive. If the firm doesn't take DuPont seriously, why would they ding anyone because of it? Let alone a qualified minority candidate -- it's not like there's a huge surplus of us.

To the anon with the question, do you think you're so overwhelming qualified that you'll even get a screener at OCI? You could end up turning down an interview here and not ever getting one down the road. I'd advise you check your schools OCI stats to see how many of those who bid even received interviews with the firm before deciding to turn down a guaranteed opportunity to get in the room with them.

last year, few if any of the interviewers got callbacks, much less offers, from the "job fair." while the firms do not take dupont seriously, they also do not like interviewing the same candidate multiple times.

since OP or whatever anon I earlier quoted has a 100% lottery system, he/she should accept at Dupont and bid too. If he/she gets it through OCI, then cancel the DuPont interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different anon. Very competitive URM last year, did nearly 40 screeners between DuPont, URm Fair and OCI.

There was a lot of overlap of firms at the 3 screening locations. Not one single firm allowed me to do 2 screeners. One firm gave me a second screener, realized its mistake and canceled my second screener.

Mind saying how competitive? Stats / School range?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Different anon. Very competitive URM last year, did nearly 40 screeners between DuPont, URm Fair and OCI.

Mind saying how competitive? Stats / School range?

School: 26-50
Top 10% + LR, 5 years solid WE pre-LS.

Five offers out of my first seven CB's, canceled about ten more that were scheduled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 am

so if I never got an e-mail for this, then I can assume that I didn't get any bids then huh?
I registered back in mid-April

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so if I never got an e-mail for this, then I can assume that I didn't get any bids then huh?
I registered back in mid-April

E-mail the scheduler/coordinator of the program. I didn't get an e-mail at first but after I e-mailed them, they forwarded me my interviews. If you're going to the Houston one, I can send it to you. Also, let me know if they do end up sending you interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: 26-50
Top 10% + LR, 5 years solid WE pre-LS.

Five offers out of my first seven CB's, canceled about ten more that were scheduled.

Awesome. I'm essentially you're clone if you're an AA male.
Hope to have the same success!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am

Post callback results here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:53 pm

I did Houston and it was definately a waste. Most interviewers seemed disinterested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah same here. Did Delaware and feeling like I wasted screeners with firms that could have been interested if I had seen them at OCI instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Received 1 CB out of 3 pre-selected screeners. It didn't seem like firms weren't interested. In my experience, it was the opposite.

Return to “Legal Employment”