TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 am

Anonymous because people from my school on here know me and I don't want to give up my rank.

I go to a TTT in the Midwest and finished the year ranked 9th out of approximately 140 students in the class. I know conventional wisdom says that TTT means you are stuck in your region, but I at least want to try and target one specific west coast market, San Francisco.

Long story short, my girlfriend accepted a six-month PR internship out there and started this past January. She's now unexpectedly been offered a full-time position and is leaning towards accepting it. Her dad's entire side of the family is from out there as well. I've visited her multiple times and loved it out there, I can definitely see living out there.

So here are my questions:

1) Is this a strong enough tie to even be considered?
2) Is my rank enough to overcome not going to a school in the region?
3) If yes to both of those (and even if no), how should I be targeting San Francisco firms?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 am

What are your chances? Doesn't matter. If I told you your chances were shitpureshit, would you not apply, especially since probably none of the firms will be at OCI (you're not wasting bids)?

See if there are alums from your UG and lawl school at these firms. Ask them about their practice areas and what they do. Express interest in the specific practice groups of the firms and the area generally. Just having a gf there is a pretty weak tie. I'm guessing none of these firms are gonna be at your OCI, so mail them around mid July. Don't expect much. SF is competitive and a lot of work there is IP related and you didn't mention you had the background. Enjoy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 am

rad lulz wrote:What are your chances? Doesn't matter. If I told you your chances were shitpureshit, would you not apply, especially since probably none of the firms will be at OCI (you're not wasting bids)?

See if there are alums from your UG and lawl school at these firms. Ask them about their practice areas and what they do. Express interest in the specific practice groups of the firms and the area generally. Just having a gf there is a pretty weak tie. I'm guessing none of these firms are gonna be at your OCI, so mail them around mid July. Don't expect much. SF is competitive and a lot of work there is IP related and you didn't mention you had the background. Enjoy.

Ya, no IP background.

What if there are firms in both the city I go to school in and San Francisco? Should I contact my "home" office and let them know I'm interested in SF, or should I contact SF directly?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 am

OP here with a question to the above poster...

Did you mass mail or did you specially reach out to firms (i.e. tailor emails/cover letters/etc. specifically to the firm)?

Or am I too naive to realize that it doesn't matter one bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:04 am

some mass some tailored

omg clay aiken !
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 am

.
Last edited by omg clay aiken ! on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:some mass some tailored

Also, for future posters, I definitely wouldn't just be targeting the V100...the lower-ranked big firms/mid firms there are okay for me.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:13 am

OP: Outlook not good. Do what you gotta do man, but a TTT in the Midwest ain't gonna have a whole lot of pull in the local market, let alone on the coasts. Search for alumni and start networking like a boss. Your school and even your grades will not hold much sway. You're gonna have to do it with networking and hustling.

Also, to the random anon clerk, when you say "9th circuit clerk," you mean a clerk for a court in the 9th circuit, not 9th COA, yes?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

omg clay aiken !
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:20 am

.
Last edited by omg clay aiken ! on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:26 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 am

Do you have a job lined up now? Or you just couldn't get one in SF?

That is pretty nuts. I've heard SF is a tough market, but that's really brutal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 am

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 am

Rough man, sorry to hear it. I'm sure it'll work out though. Shocked 9th COA didn't have more luck, but I'm sure you'll do well with your job. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:46 am

i know of lots of district court clerks on competitive districts having a very tough time finding jobs... idk whats going on

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What are your chances? Doesn't matter. If I told you your chances were shitpureshit, would you not apply, especially since probably none of the firms will be at OCI (you're not wasting bids)?

See if there are alums from your UG and lawl school at these firms. Ask them about their practice areas and what they do. Express interest in the specific practice groups of the firms and the area generally. Just having a gf there is a pretty weak tie. I'm guessing none of these firms are gonna be at your OCI, so mail them around mid July. Don't expect much. SF is competitive and a lot of work there is IP related and you didn't mention you had the background. Enjoy.

Ya, no IP background.

What if there are firms in both the city I go to school in and San Francisco? Should I contact my "home" office and let them know I'm interested in SF, or should I contact SF directly?

Honestly, if you want biglaw, apply to your home office and your home office only. Chances in SF are just that shitty.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some mass some tailored

Also, for future posters, I definitely wouldn't just be targeting the V100...the lower-ranked big firms/mid firms there are okay for me.

Your assumption that these firms are noticeably less competitive is unwarranted.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: TTT, Targeting Out of Market Firm

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some mass some tailored

Also, for future posters, I definitely wouldn't just be targeting the V100...the lower-ranked big firms/mid firms there are okay for me.

Your assumption that these firms are noticeably less competitive is unwarranted.

Dude, my firm only got like 2000+ applications for the 20-something spots firmwide. Easy peasy.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.