. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

donniedarko

New

Re: Less selective DC firms

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

good thread Jessuf, I don't have any answers but had the same question...

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:24 pm

with the exception of akin gump, does any of these firms have a summer class size of above, say, 5?

that's a bit of an exaggeration, but realize that you are competing for VERY few SA spots here. the bottom line is that the cards are stacked against you as a GULC transfer (in re: getting a biglaw job), so I would recommend focusing on large NY firms that arent that selective and HUSTLING. if you're not concerned about getting an SA, this is a fine list of firms to strike out with.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Jessuf wrote:
koalatriste wrote:with the exception of akin gump, does any of these firms have a summer class size of above, say, 5?

that's a bit of an exaggeration, but realize that you are competing for VERY few SA spots here. the bottom line is that the cards are stacked against you as a GULC transfer (in re: getting a biglaw job), so I would recommend focusing on large NY firms that arent that selective and HUSTLING. if you're not concerned about getting an SA, this is a fine list of firms to strike out with.
Good point. Most are around 7.

For GULC students who are interested, the biggest class sizes in this range are:
Akin Gump - 17
Jones Day - 18
Sutherland Asbill - 13
Venable - 13

So for the most part, pretty small class sizes.

I made this thread because I really want DC for personal reasons. I will of course bid on mostly NYC firms, but I would like to know where I'd have the best shot of getting a CB at in DC to maximize my chances of staying in the area. Being a transfer makes figuring out bids pretty much impossible because I don't know how my top 1% translates into a GULC ranking.
Jessuf wrote:I would ideally like to have a few DC firms that I could rank highly on my bid list, then mostly rely on mass mail for the other firms and hope I will get something.
i think you answered your own query. see above. i'd probably avoid JD, as i'm sure they are at the higher end of the 3.0-3.5 range.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:49 pm

koalatriste wrote:
i think you answered your own query. see above. i'd probably avoid JD, as i'm sure they are at the higher end of the 3.0-3.5 range.
I was top 10% + LR and didn't get a CB there last year. That doesn't mean that you have no chance at getting a job there, but I wouldn't think of JD as one of the unselective firms in DC. I wouldn't waste a high bid on them.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
I was top 10% + LR and didn't get a CB there last year. That doesn't mean that you have no chance at getting a job there, but I wouldn't think of JD as one of the unselective firms in DC. I wouldn't waste a high bid on them.
indeed, keep in mind that when you factor in URM status/impressive work experience/connections/everything else random other than GPA that matters in getting a job, firms are generally more selective than they appear. additionally, firms can just be really, really picky with these small class sizes (especially in DC).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Ok, thanks for this!
I would, however, use one of your high bids on Akin. It's not that they're unselective, but they are popular so you will need to bid them high to get an interview. And you probably have a shot at a job there if you interview well, but with transfers it's always a crapshoot.

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm

What else would you recommend a GULC transfer use a high bid on? (Assuming wanting to stay in DC and realizing its a crap shoot)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 pm

donniedarko wrote:What else would you recommend a GULC transfer use a high bid on? (Assuming wanting to stay in DC and realizing its a crap shoot)
whichever of those firms (not jones day) that has the highest class sizes. Also, look at the stats OCS links you to. You can kind of tell how popular each firm is from those. Maybe some of them have less name recognition (Sutherland) and aren't as popular and you can steal an interview with them with an outside the top 10 bid.

Seriously though, if you want a job, you need to shoot for NY as well. I know multiple people who are headed to V10s in NY who actually wanted a job down here but struck out.

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 pm

wow.. tnx

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Not sure if this is a valid question, but to your knowledge, do certain NY firms seem more GULC friendly than others?

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Sorry Jessuf, I sort of hijacked your thread :-P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
koalatriste wrote:with the exception of akin gump, does any of these firms have a summer class size of above, say, 5?

Good point. Most are around 7.

For GULC students who are interested, the biggest class sizes in this range are:
Akin Gump - 17
Jones Day - 18
Sutherland Asbill - 13
Venable - 13

So for the most part, pretty small class sizes.

I made this thread because I really want DC for personal reasons. I will of course bid on mostly NYC firms, but I would like to know where I'd have the best shot of getting a CB at in DC to maximize my chances of staying in the area. Being a transfer makes figuring out bids pretty much impossible because I don't know how my top 1% translates into a GULC ranking.
Jessuf wrote:I would ideally like to have a few DC firms that I could rank highly on my bid list, then mostly rely on mass mail for the other firms and hope I will get something.
Don't self-select away from Jones Day if you think you would be a good fit. Because of their unique culture (general partnership, one-firm-worldwide, confidential compensation, etc.) they tend to be more concerned with fit than GPA. Last summer, we had a few from GULC and at least one from the PT program. Another in our class was a TTTT transfer to MVPB. Not sure their GPAs though. I was around median from MVPB.

No guarantees, of course, but the only thing you know for sure is if you don't bid, you won't get an interview. (Also, they have a new hiring partner this year, so not sure if that will change things up. )

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 pm

JD interviews lots of people who don't get them with the lottery. So if they like your resume and you've got them in your top 20, they'll get in contact with you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:JD interviews lots of people who don't get them with the lottery. So if they like your resume and you've got them in your top 20, they'll get in contact with you.
So firms will be able to see where I ranked them even if I don't get an interview through the lottery?
All firms in your top 20 get your resume. As far as I know they won't know exactly where in the top 20 you ranked them.

Also, spam your resume to every firm you don't get in the lottery. Good way to pick up extra interviews.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 pm

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 pm

That would be amazing. I'll pm u my email

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Is there public data on the number of 2012 or 2013 SA's for these firms?

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:59 pm

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Is there public data on the number of 2012 or 2013 SA's for these firms?
The NALP Directory has this info. (Probably no expected 2013 SA numbers yet.)

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”