WHERE TO BID!!!!??? CONSOLIDATED

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Huluba

WHERE TO BID!!!!??? CONSOLIDATED

Postby Huluba » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am

Since there are so many threads asking where to bid, figured anyone with questions about their bidlist can post here for all to see.

Dr. Review

Re: WHERE TO BID!!!!??? CONSOLIDATED

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 am

Honestly, for most threads, you could sticky a response that says "NYC firms with large summer classes" and be done with it.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 am

Probably true for T14 but what about below, say T50 median.....

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 am

This is relevant to my interests, tagged.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 am

Huluba wrote:Probably true for T14 but what about below, say T50 median.....

Do you have too few bids to put one in for each employer that interests you?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 am

Since your OCI is probably 100% preselect, bid on all the firms, and don't be surprised when you don't get any interviews.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Since your OCI is probably 100% preselect, bid on all the firms, and don't be surprised when you don't get any interviews.

Done. Thanks

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Huluba wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Done. Thanks

Since you can't rely on OCI, make a list of firms to mail ASAP.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Huluba wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Done. Thanks

Since you can't rely on OCI, make a list of firms to mail ASAP.

Should this list contain big firms, mid-size firms, or small firms? If I won't be able to rely on OCI then why would mass mailing big firms help? Do I have any hope of getting payed to work next summer?

Edit: Mail now or is it too early?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would some of you more seasoned vets do if were top of your class at a lower T14 (beside clerk)? Wachtell, W&C, litigation boutique? What's the dream scenario for most folks?

-Walter White

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Mail as much shit as you can bro come mid July.

How the hell am I supposed to know what your chances are. I don't know your school or anything about you. Furthermore, if I told you your chances were shit, would it change your behavior? Would you drop out? No. So it's a worthless inquiry.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would some of you more seasoned vets do if were top of your class at a lower T14 (beside clerk)? Wachtell, W&C, litigation boutique? What's the dream scenario for most folks?

-Walter White

Be employed at graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

i am going to do OCI/Mass Mail - butttt for peace of mind i have to ask, i was resisting until now. im at a TI ~mid 40s school. im top 40%, butttt this is only because this semester i got my first bad grade, C+. so now my grades are (A,A,B+,B+,B+,B,C+). i screwed up, it happened, if i get an interview i'll sake it was an anomaly. will firms give this any sort of different treatment? or will they not even look at the transcript, but just see the gpa and toss it. i'm still going to apply because its stupid not to, but im just curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Top 20% at T20 school. Want Biglaw.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% at T20 school. Want Biglaw.

Well I know nothing about you, so all I can suggest is that you participate in OCI.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% at T20 school. Want Biglaw.

Well I know nothing about you, so all I can suggest is that you participate in OCI.

typical TLS echo chamber response

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would some of you more seasoned vets do if were top of your class at a lower T14 (beside clerk)? Wachtell, W&C, litigation boutique? What's the dream scenario for most folks?

-Walter White

More realistically - top of the class at a lower T14 ends up at GDC DC, Cov DC, Wilmer DC, maybe Kellogg or Robbins Russell, etc.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Bedsole wrote:Honestly, for most threads, you could sticky a response that says "NYC firms with large summer classes" and be done with it.

Though that obviously ignores the people who are eschewing NYC. Otherwise, yeah, NYC doesn't seem to have too much more to it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:52 pm

This thread is stupid.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:This thread is stupid.

+1,000.

Stop asking stupid questions. I am bottom half at a T50 and landed a 1L summer gig. If you want a job, then you apply to it and hustle like shoog knight and don't stop until you land that job. This is ALL you need to know......

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 am

sparty99 wrote:

+1,000.

Stop asking stupid questions. I am bottom half at a T50 and landed a 1L summer gig. If you want a job, then you apply to it and hustle like shoog knight and don't stop until you land that job. This is ALL you need to know......

Definitely an outlier... in nearly every single case, bottom half at a T50 doesn't stand a chance getting BigLaw. Because selections for 1L SAs are made with only one semester of grades, they aren't at all comparable to OCI selections. Congrats on the 1L SA, hopefully it turns into an invitation to return next year...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

+1,000.

Definitely an outlier... in nearly every single case, bottom half at a T50 doesn't stand a chance getting BigLaw. Because selections for 1L SAs are made with only one semester of grades, they aren't at all comparable to OCI selections. Congrats on the 1L SA, hopefully it turns into an invitation to return next year...

His point was don't ask "do I have a chance??" questions. Which I agree with. Just apply, and if you don't get something, you don't get something.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

+1,000.

His point was don't ask "do I have a chance??" questions. Which I agree with. Just apply, and if you don't get something, you don't get something.

Not to belabor the point, but I think asking "do I have a chance?" is perfectly reasonable. If someone doesn't have a shot at a V10 then they need to know this before they waste a bid on Latham (lulz). When people reach too far, they not only waste one of their bids but they take an interview slot from other potentially more viable candidates.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:18 am

Except that as of late, what I have REALLY been seeing around here is "do I have a chance at OCI," which is a different (moronic) inquiry then asking about specific firms' hiring practices.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 am

Agreed. Too many people are posting lists of firms without saying if they want even corp or lit. Without personal details, lists are useless.

Return to “Legal Employment”