What does it take to get a CB at Munger/Keker?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What does it take to get a CB at Munger/Keker?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 am

Background: Pretty sure I'm at the top of my class at a mid-T14 (no ranking, but I'm sure I'm within the top 5% - might not be #1 though). I do have substantive WE that's pretty interesting (good stories for interviews) but not necessarily unique. More interested in becoming the best lawyer I can be than in a specific practice area, since I'd like to transition to government at some point and I think I can focus more on issue area then, especially if I demonstrate interest during LS. Right now I think I'd ultimately like to end up in a more policy/program-focused position, although that could certainly change. I'm liking my lit-focused 1L summer job. Not particularly interested in IP.

Questions:

1) What does it take to get a CB and move from CB to offer at Munger/Keker/W&C/other highly selective lit boutique shops if you can pass the grades screen? I've heard Munger has a rigorous interview process - does that entail something different than is typical? I've obviously been on job interviews before and I've been told that I interview well, but I suspect these could be a different beast. Munger or Keker would probably be my top choices since I have CA ties, but I would go to DC for at least a few years, especially if there are attractive gov exit options from the particular firm. (Not really thinking about Gibson DC, since my resume clearly reads liberal, but would love suggestions for other top DC lit/regulatory shops that swing more my way. I'm thinking maybe I should bid on Gibson LA though.)

2) Is top lit shop --> DOJ/other gov (agency, state AG, etc.) a credited pathway? Entry level gov is so tough right now, and I think the training offered in private practice is probably superior anyway. Definitely will be shooting for clerkship first, but I feel that's also a complete gamble in this environment.

TIA for any feedback.

ph14

Re: What does it take to get a CB at Munger/Keker?

Postby ph14 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:54 am

Interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Background: Pretty sure I'm at the top of my class at a mid-T14 (no ranking, but I'm sure I'm within the top 5% - might not be #1 though).

It would really help for you to specify your school here. If you're at B, you have a great shot at Keker. If you're at one of MVP, Keker might not interview you even if you're #1 in your class. (In general, Keker only selects summers from HYSB.)

Munger is a different story. I imagine that top 5% from MVP would be very competitive there. Again, though, it's going to help at least a little if you're from B.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Background: Pretty sure I'm at the top of my class at a mid-T14 (no ranking, but I'm sure I'm within the top 5% - might not be #1 though). I do have substantive WE that's pretty interesting (good stories for interviews) but not necessarily unique. More interested in becoming the best lawyer I can be than in a specific practice area, since I'd like to transition to government at some point and I think I can focus more on issue area then, especially if I demonstrate interest during LS. Right now I think I'd ultimately like to end up in a more policy/program-focused position, although that could certainly change. I'm liking my lit-focused 1L summer job. Not particularly interested in IP.

Questions:

1) What does it take to get a CB and move from CB to offer at Munger/Keker/W&C/other highly selective lit boutique shops if you can pass the grades screen? I've heard Munger has a rigorous interview process - does that entail something different than is typical? I've obviously been on job interviews before and I've been told that I interview well, but I suspect these could be a different beast. Munger or Keker would probably be my top choices since I have CA ties, but I would go to DC for at least a few years, especially if there are attractive gov exit options from the particular firm. (Not really thinking about Gibson DC, since my resume clearly reads liberal, but would love suggestions for other top DC lit/regulatory shops that swing more my way. I'm thinking maybe I should bid on Gibson LA though.)

2) Is top lit shop --> DOJ/other gov (agency, state AG, etc.) a credited pathway? Entry level gov is so tough right now, and I think the training offered in private practice is probably superior anyway. Definitely will be shooting for clerkship first, but I feel that's also a complete gamble in this environment.

TIA for any feedback.

I've interviewed/summered at Munger. I wouldn't say the interview is anymore rigorous than any other firm. Its has alot of the same standard questions. The only way its a little different than most NY firms, for example, is that they might ask you more substantive questions about your favorite 1L classes, memo, etc. What you have to keep in mind is Munger is one of the few firms where every lawyer at the firm (including the most junior associate) votes on whether to hire an applicant. That means you'll have to wow everyone you interview with so they all vouch for you in front of the entire firm.

If you can get through all that, its one of the best firms in the country for young associates. Also, the partnership is extremely open about everything from finances to how many hours everyone at the firm is working. Its sort of incredible how open they are. Plus the partner to associate ratio is so low (when I was there, there were more partners than associates) that partnership prospects are actually a realistic option for anyone who wants to stay there long term and does good work.

In my opinion there is not a better firm on the West Coast. And in terms of biglaw, the only other firm in the country that even comes close is Williams and Connolly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 am

Specifying school would help. The above poster is right that if "t14" means "Boalt," you're in a better position for Keker than if you're at Duke or Cornell. That said, Keker has started to interview at more schools than just HYSB.

Top 5% at any T14 will put you in a good place for Munger. Keker is harder, especially because their summer classes are so small, so it seems like top grades are necessary but far from sufficient. Personality probably matters a lot in a firm of that size. For example, I hear that one or two years ago they did OCI at one top school (think HYS), gave several callbacks, but ultimately no offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5% at any T14 will put you in a good place for Munger.

Munger interviews only at HYSCCNMB & UCLA/USC. It will be difficult (but not impossible) to get a job if you aren't at one of these schools.

And I echo a previous poster: Munger is a terrific and unique firm. You should also consider Kellogg, Susman, Irell (which does more than just patent lit), Boies, and Quinn—though the latter two are quite leveraged and seem like sweatshops. As for large firms with strong DC appellate groups, consider Jenner, Mayer, Sidley, Kirkland, Jones Day, and Gibson. These firms don't really care about their associates' politics.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm assuming top 20% or so at CCN and LGBT would have almost no shot at MTO right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming top 20% or so at CCN and LGBT would have almost no shot at MTO right?

The odds are certainly against you, but I know of a few CCN summers in recent years who were outside the top 10%—though they likely were in the top 15-20%. LGBT status might provide a minor boost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Anyone know if MTO gives any boost to engineering backgrounds interested in IP lit? Chances for such a student at HYS in the top 20%? Thanks!

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Munger is coming to UT's OCI. This thread seems to indicate that they only take t-14 students. Would it be a waste of a bid? I'm top 1 or 2%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:41 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Munger is coming to UT's OCI. This thread seems to indicate that they only take t-14 students. Would it be a waste of a bid? I'm top 1 or 2%.

Interesting. I'm sure they're planning to have one or two students from UT—otherwise they wouldn't be at your OCI. You certainly wouldn't be wasting a bid. Make sure you're ready for the interview. They don't care to much about ties to LA (though ties help), but they will ask substantive questions about your resume, legal experience, writing sample, and so on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if MTO gives any boost to engineering backgrounds interested in IP lit? Chances for such a student at HYS in the top 20%? Thanks!

I don't think there's a significant boost, but I might be wrong. Top 20% at HYS is within the realm of possibility. Law review would help. Most of the HYS summers and lawyers are on law review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:48 pm

What about top 15-20% at B? (Obviously a complete guess, given our grading system.) MTO and Keker out of the question?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about top 15-20% at B? (Obviously a complete guess, given our grading system.) MTO and Keker out of the question?

It's a long shot without law review—and the same is true at any non-HYS, and somewhat true at HYS. An interesting background would help. But there's no harm in trying.

EDIT: That's for MTO LA (MTO SF doesn't have a summer program). As for Keker, they generally take one person from Berkeley, and I would guess that person is typically top 5%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 pm

OP here - thanks for the feedback.

I know I'm fortunate to be in a good spot, but this whole OCI process is a little crazy. If I'm interested in lit and want to actually enjoy (as much as possible) my work environment, what would be some less risky CA firms to bid on? Maybe OMM and GDC?

Also, would B actually be a bump for MTO? Or just Keker?

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 pm

One other point about Munger: At CLS at least, they took prospective CBs to a group dinner after EIP but before handing out CB invites. I'm not sure how much of a role that played in the CB decision, but it's something to keep in mind.

Return to “Legal Employment”