How does my New York bid list look?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How does my New York bid list look?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 am

Stats: 3.67ish/top 20% (top third is 3.5ish) at Vandy/UT/UCLA. Secondary journal as 1L, no moot court, have not heard back from law review but guessing ding.

Allen & Overy
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
King & Spalding LLP
Latham & Watkins
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, LLP

Anonymous User

Re: How does my New York bid list look?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:51 am

My guess is that you are at UT. If so, judging from recent years, I would say Cleary, DPW, Fried Frank, Paul Weiss, Skadden, Weil, and Cahill are all likely stretches. I think you are competitive for the rest. A lot of the firms have relatively small NY offices, so it depends on how many they are hiring.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:55 am

I imagine Fulbright would be much easier in Houston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:My guess is that you are at UT. If so, judging from recent years, I would say Cleary, DPW, Fried Frank, Paul Weiss, Skadden, Weil, and Cahill are all likely stretches. I think you are competitive for the rest. A lot of the firms have relatively small NY offices, so it depends on how many they are hiring.

You'd recommend mass mailing on top of this then? Some of these (e.g. Baker Botts) are not even New York firms, so their offices would be smaller. If so, which firms should I mass mail? I'll be in NYC at the beginning of August. Hopefully, I can get them to schedule interviews at that time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:11 am

Akin Gump, Baker Botts, Fulbright, K+S are all relatively small, and I would be somewhat wary of them.

Honestly, something will probably materialize out of that group for you, but mass mailing never hurts. Firms like Gibson Dunn and Proskauer are two firms I think could be in your range. Remember that there will also be some NYC firms at OCI.

Edit: I would spend some time on NALP looking at larger firms that may have hired from UT in the past.

njgal

Postby njgal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stats: 3.67ish/top 20% (top third is 3.5ish) at Vandy/UT/UCLA. Secondary journal as 1L, no moot court, have not heard back from law review but guessing ding.

Allen & Overy
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
King & Spalding LLP
Latham & Watkins
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, LLP

I would imagine based off this list that you are bidding for the UT NY job fair, in which case the rank does not matter because the fair is 100% pre-select (even though they require you to put a bid number. This is just like the spring OCI process if you did that as a 1L). So just apply for them all and then go from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 am

This is for the NY Job Fair from UT. OP--I am also doing this and was wondering what your thoughts were on bidding on F+J/BB New York offices when their other offices will be at regular OCI. Do you think the Dallas/Houston offices will bring up the fact that you (and I) bid on the NY offices and then question our sincerity in wanting to be in Dallas/Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:08 pm

bump for anyone that can answer the above ?. Bidding closes in an hour

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump for anyone that can answer the above ?. Bidding closes in an hour

It's all preselect...just bid on all. If you're worried about possible conflicts between the TX offices of BB/FJ, then don't bid on them here. The NY offices of these firms are small and don't hold a candle to any of the TX offices.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Seward and Kissel hired a Vandy guy a couple of years ago I know. And I believe will be at OCI. Bid there, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:bump for anyone that can answer the above ?. Bidding closes in an hour

It's all preselect...just bid on all. If you're worried about possible conflicts between the TX offices of BB/FJ, then don't bid on them here. The NY offices of these firms are small and don't hold a candle to any of the TX offices.

Thanks. Yeah i think i may leave off FJ/BB for the NY Job Fair. I dont want to go into an interview for their Dallas/Houston offices at OCI and have them be like "sooo you want to work in Dallas? Why did you bid on our NY office?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Thanks. Yeah i think i may leave off FJ/BB for the NY Job Fair. I dont want to go into an interview for their Dallas/Houston offices at OCI and have them be like "sooo you want to work in Dallas? Why did you bid on our NY office?"

as a disclaimer, i did interview with F&J at the job fair and during OCI for one of the TX offices. The topic of the NY interview never came up, and I still got the callback for the TX office. Obviously this varies firm-to-firm, and maybe at BB it might be a bigger deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

as a disclaimer, i did interview with F&J at the job fair and during OCI for one of the TX offices. The topic of the NY interview never came up, and I still got the callback for the TX office. Obviously this varies firm-to-firm, and maybe at BB it might be a bigger deal.

I'm from Texas. I doubt anyone would question my desire to live in Texas, even though I have no such desire. Besides, there are something like 200 other firms that come to the UT OCI. I bid on everything at the NY job fair.

Return to “Legal Employment”