irate GW alum with thoughts/questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

irate GW alum with thoughts/questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 am

GW has a clown Dean who is doing everything he can to make the school look bad.

1) Can GW students (rising 2Ls) comment on what you're doing as 1L summers?

2) Heading into OCI, have they told you guys anything in terms of what % of the class they expect to get NLJ 250?

3) Is GW still IP Secure? Back when I attended, class standing simply did not matter if you had an EE/ME/CS/Bio background. What class standing is needed now with those backgrounds for any kind of paying IP job?

manofjustice

Re: irate GW alum with thoughts/questions

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:12 pm

IP Secure? I don't know about that. But GW is 10-dollar an hour, no longer than 365 days, school-funded secure.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:19 pm

why are you upset? He made an idiot of himself

but what are the employment statistics like?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm

jarofsoup wrote:why are you upset? He made an idiot of himself

but what are the employment statistics like?

The employment statistics are part of the problem. They are juiced by this long term full time bar required but school-funded shenanigans described elsewhere.

OP may also be referring to the email one of the extremely well-paid Deans of GW sent to participants in the program involved with the above-mentioned jobs, informing them of a 33% pay cut to $10 an hour.

I think if an alum is irate, the bottom line is the school needs to listen. A school is nothing but its alums...though schools have gotten this idea that that's not true. The school is its great, overpaid deans and its great, overpaid professors and all the scholarship that they do and the school's USNWR rankings and how great its buildings are, etc. etc.

Here is an alum who just wants to get back to basics, if I may characterize you, OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GW has a clown Dean who is doing everything he can to make the school look bad.

1) Can GW students (rising 2Ls) comment on what you're doing as 1L summers?

2) Heading into OCI, have they told you guys anything in terms of what % of the class they expect to get NLJ 250?

3) Is GW still IP Secure? Back when I attended, class standing simply did not matter if you had an EE/ME/CS/Bio background. What class standing is needed now with those backgrounds for any kind of paying IP job?

1. Summer Associate at a small IP firm in Virgina. Paid, but not exorbitantly, about 15k for the summer. Also doing a research position at a non-profit that can be done from home / on weekends -- pays 2500 for the summer. Both found through symplicity and CDO postings.

2. While they didn't say anything NLJ or Vault firms directly, they told us that for students without designations (i.e. not in the top 35%) that they should really expand there search outside of FRP/OCI: direct writes, mass mail, and "network". I'm not sure how seriously people take it, but they've certainly told it to us how not to expect OCI to be productive for all students. These warnings are in the FRP documentation in black and white, I can email it to you if you're interested.

3. I had multiple offers from IP firms for 1L summer employment -- two offers before I even had fall grades. I'm feeling pretty IPsecure. I didn't discuss summer employment in too much detail with that many of my peers, but those I did all expressed little difficulty finding something legal related to do this summer. Some paid, some unpaid, but I didn't speak with anyone who would admit to having nothing to do.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the dean either, but calm down. It's bad everywhere, I don't think GW is under performing for its station in the rankings. They've reduced the incoming class size each of the last 3 years, and they'll probably do so again this year. Besides give you a refund, what more would you have them do?

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Rising 3L here. Since the school refuses to give helpful data or predictions, I don't know why they expect. I know last year many TM (35%) scholars who got zero OCI interviews, much less an NLJ-250 SA. I don't know anyone unranked who got firm interviews. (I'm sure there's anecdotes otherwise, but this has been my experience.)

No advice on IP-secure. My patent friends pretty much happen to be law review-material anyway, so I can't really separate the grades from the background there.

Return to “Legal Employment”