Number and Order of Markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Number and Order of Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Curious as to how many markets is too many. For example, if someone were to bid NY, LA, Austin, and Dallas, would that be too much? Don't know if Dallas/Austin firms would be turned off by the fact that I'm also bidding NY and LA

Should you clump markets together in terms of priority? Say, all the NY firms bids 1-10, the Austin firms bids 10-20, and so on?

or, should you just bid on firms individually in order of desire/selectivity i.e. 1) Weil NY; 2) Latham LA; 3) VE Austin; 4) VE Dallas, etc

I'm interested in a NY, LA, Austin and Dallas (with ties to the latter two). Coming from UT w/ top 10%ish grades.

badaboom61

Re: Number and Order of Markets

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious as to how many markets is too many. For example, if someone were to bid NY, LA, Austin, and Dallas, would that be too much? Don't know if Dallas/Austin firms would be turned off by the fact that I'm also bidding NY and LA

Should you clump markets together in terms of priority? Say, all the NY firms bids 1-10, the Austin firms bids 10-20, and so on?

or, should you just bid on firms individually in order of desire/selectivity i.e. 1) Weil NY; 2) Latham LA; 3) VE Austin; 4) VE Dallas, etc

I'm interested in a NY, LA, Austin and Dallas (with ties to the latter two). Coming from UT w/ top 10%ish grades.

I'm interested as well, particularly on how to handle bidding several seemingly unrelated markets.

Our OCI told us not to clump markets in terms of priority, but to spread them out so you get plenty of interviews in every market. Granted, you'd want to be strategic about it. From UT, there's probably not a lot of people burning to go to California, so you could bid those a bit lower. Lots of people want to go to Austin and NY though, so you might want to put those a bit higher.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Why does it matter what firms think. It's not like you have to tell them every single place you bid on or interviewing with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm

ran12 wrote:Why does it matter what firms think. It's not like you have to tell them every single place you bid on or interviewing with.

I dont know...I thought maybe they would ask what other markets I'm bidding on and I wouldn't want to lie. Thought I heard some people report that they were asked htat question

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 am

Just say you are focusing on that particular market. Nobody will remember what you said at an interview when you are an SA or even at the callback

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Curious as to how many markets is too many. For example, if someone were to bid NY, LA, Austin, and Dallas, would that be too much? Don't know if Dallas/Austin firms would be turned off by the fact that I'm also bidding NY and LA

If you're interested in Austin, I'd suggest bidding them high. Top 10% is probably sufficient to get preselected, but it's a lot less certain, so you'd rather cover your bases and get it through lottery. As for the other cities, your stats should get you preselected, so rank in the order you'd want. Once you get 25 interviews, the rest get voided.

Have you signed up for the NY Job Fair? If you're serious about NYC, I highly suggest you do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Interesting, still trying to figure out how our OCI system works. I will plan on bidding Austin high b/c it's probably my first choice (lived here a while and can't imagine living many other places). Will be doing NY fair, so hopefully don't have to waste too many bids on NY at our actual OCI. After Austin, I'll probably bid mainly Dallas just b/c I want to be sure to get something here. Then use remaining bids on LA/SF

Do you know which are the most selective of the Austin firms or which take the largest classes? How tough is it to get Pirkey Barker or Scott Douglass McConnico?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I didn't bid Austin, but I'm sure you can find out about class sizes on nalp. I know someone with ~t25% who got an offer from Pirkey Barber, but other than that, I don't know much about their hiring methods.

Return to “Legal Employment”