UChicago Firm Statistics for 2L Summer for C/O 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ahnhub

Silver

Re: UChicago Firm Statistics for 2L Summer for C/O 2013

Post by ahnhub » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Most recent NALP data we have:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/best-law ... -job-2012/

Even giving NYU the benefit of the doubt with DAT PI and dem clerkships the dif still looks like ~20% placement to me bro
What, are you putting me on? That's for c/o 2011. The info in this thread is for summer jobs for c/o 2013.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Most recent NALP data we have:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/best-law ... -job-2012/

Even giving NYU the benefit of the doubt with DAT PI and dem clerkships the dif still looks like ~20% placement to me bro
*face palm*

And what's the point of mentioning NYU here... we don't need yet another discussion on this.

Chicago's stats look really good, was expecting something around here (considering the earlier leak of CLS data). Nice to see things picking up (albeit gradually)

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:03 pm

The numbers look good, but I'm a little trepidatious about this upcoming year. If 85% of Chicago is doing a summer firm job and the vast majority of those are good outcomes, that's actually better than general sentiment would lead you to believe (their pre-recession 2L class weas right around 90%). But some of the V10 hired like crazy this past year, so 1) I'm not sure places like Skadden, which hired like 150 SA's this past year, can really get much bigger and 2) I'm afraid some of the hiring may have been to make up for cutting too much. At any rate, I hope there's some more recovery at some non-V10/V20 firms.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Not trying to rehash an argument just sayin that NALP info is the most recent data I have seen from NYU. To my knowledge they didn't release anything closeto as comprehensive as the U of C data ITT and the CLS data posted elsewhere. Any from what we have it seems that Chicago is outpacing NYU by ~20%. But maybe I'm way off here. Either way I'd like to see a bit more transparency.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 pm

ahnhub wrote:The numbers look good, but I'm a little trepidatious about this upcoming year. If 85% of Chicago is doing a summer firm job and the vast majority of those are good outcomes, that's actually better than general sentiment would lead you to believe (their pre-recession 2L class weas right around 90%). But some of the V10 hired like crazy this past year, so 1) I'm not sure places like Skadden, which hired like 150 SA's this past year, can really get much bigger and 2) I'm afraid some of the hiring may have been to make up for cutting too much. At any rate, I hope there's some more recovery at some non-V10/V20 firms.
Their pre-recession figure was 90%. This data looks like 77%. What makes you say it's close to pre-recession levels?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
ahnhub wrote:The numbers look good, but I'm a little trepidatious about this upcoming year. If 85% of Chicago is doing a summer firm job and the vast majority of those are good outcomes, that's actually better than general sentiment would lead you to believe (their pre-recession 2L class weas right around 90%). But some of the V10 hired like crazy this past year, so 1) I'm not sure places like Skadden, which hired like 150 SA's this past year, can really get much bigger and 2) I'm afraid some of the hiring may have been to make up for cutting too much. At any rate, I hope there's some more recovery at some non-V10/V20 firms.
Their pre-recession figure was 90%. This data looks like 77%. What makes you say it's close to pre-recession levels?
So the anon poster is saying that 85% of the entire school is working at a law firm for 2L summer (77% NLJ 250, 8% non). 89% of the school worked at a law firm 2L summer for c/o 2010. I know the mix could very well be different--almost all of those 90% could have been true SA positions where almost all of them got market-paying offers at the end, while it may be different for this class--but the raw numbers are closer to c/o 2010 than 2011. I wasn't really saying it's close to pre-recession, but it could be argued c/o 2013 is as close to pre-recession as they are to the crash, if those numbers hold up. I mean, since only 54% of c/o 2011 got 100+ firm or a fed clerkship, they couldn't have had much more than 55-60% doing a true Biglaw SA second summer, right?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm definitely encouraged by the numbers. With 77% in a market paying SA, as many as 4-5% in what sounds like good boutique positions and a certain non-zero% who inevitably don't pursue OCI we are talking a fairly low chance at striking out should one attend UChi. Yeah some people clearly end up boned, but if those numbers hold up the odds are as good as one could expect ITE.

Thanks to the UChi folks for sharing and Ray for the color commentary.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:14 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Not trying to rehash an argument just sayin that NALP info is the most recent data I have seen from NYU. To my knowledge they didn't release anything closeto as comprehensive as the U of C data ITT and the CLS data posted elsewhere. Any from what we have it seems that Chicago is outpacing NYU by ~20%. But maybe I'm way off here. Either way I'd like to see a bit more transparency.
They are not outpacing them by 20% if you compare class of 2011 at UC with class of 2011 at NYU. You can't compare stats at one school from the worst year in recent memory (c/o 2011 at NYU) with stats at another school in a rebound year (c/o 2013 at UC). Whatever difference you observe is not a trustworthy measure of the difference in the school's placement abilities. Compare c/o 2011 with c/o 2011 and c/o 2013 with c/o 2013

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:20 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Not trying to rehash an argument just sayin that NALP info is the most recent data I have seen from NYU. To my knowledge they didn't release anything closeto as comprehensive as the U of C data ITT and the CLS data posted elsewhere. Any from what we have it seems that Chicago is outpacing NYU by ~20%. But maybe I'm way off here. Either way I'd like to see a bit more transparency.
Many moons ago I'm pretty sure NYU used to be more forthcoming (at least to its students about specific placement info) but then someone posted it to XOXO and some law firm complained because they were getting worse students than it thought it should. Law students don't stop obsessing over rankings and various measures of prestige when they get a big law job. Essentially, if Firm A thinks that its as desirable/prestigious as Firm B and then learns that Firm B got students with a much higher average GPA/fewer turned down their offers Firm A's feelings get hurt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Many moons ago I'm pretty sure NYU used to be more forthcoming (at least to its students about specific placement info) but then someone posted it to XOXO and some law firm complained because they were getting worse students than it thought it should. Law students don't stop obsessing over rankings and various measures of prestige when they get a big law job. Essentially, if Firm A thinks that its as desirable/prestigious as Firm B and then learns that Firm B got students with a much higher average GPA/fewer turned down their offers Firm A's feelings get hurt.

That law firm was Skadden. They actually called OCS and cut their interview slots in half after the information leaked.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Guy links to page that illustrates a clear 5% difference between schools, claims a 20% difference, wonders whether he is "way off here."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That law firm was Skadden. They actually called OCS and cut their interview slots in half after the information linked.
link?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 pm

But how would giving a breakdown of percent and raw numbers of students in various bands of employment (v10, v20, v100) -- much like the Chicago data ITT -- cause any feelings to get hurt? I get the justification for not releasing individual firm GPA medians/cutoffs but shouldnt prospective students have the right to know how NYU is stacking up placement wise against its peers before taking out up to 270k COA (after unsubsidized interest)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 am

I'm generally an NYU supporter/troll, but I do agree it's disappointing and incorrect for them not to have released the numbers. It leads me to just have to assume that the numbers are relatively poor, but it also leads to wild and unsubstantiated guessing as to HOW poor.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:39 am

It should be mentioned that Chicago has 10-15 people skip OCI each year for PI

redbullvodka

Bronze

Post by redbullvodka » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Just in case people didn't see this, UChicago updated the summer data on its own website. Looks impressive, or at the very least, encouraging.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... oymentdata

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Hmm. It definitely looks encouraging, but the info doesn't quite jive with what an earlier anon posted in this thread (someone said Chicago c/o 2013 had 85% working at a law firm 2L summer).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

redbullvodka

Bronze

Post by redbullvodka » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 pm

I think that the 85% figure was pulled in by the combination of a bad inference and CLS hiring data. Someone anonymously posted 77.2% nlj250 for 2013, and the 8% from 2012 was assumed to carry over, leading a new anon to say 85%, which happens to be what CLS anons have been leaking for their 2013 OCI numbers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”