Has anyone ever gotten work post-graduation?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rose789

Has anyone ever gotten work post-graduation?

Postby Rose789 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Has anyone graduated without a job and gotten one over the course of the summer or early fall, or graduated with a job but found a better one in that same time frame?

Dr. Review

Re: Has anyone ever gotten work post-graduation?

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm

I would assume that this exact scenario is the reason employment data is measured at graduation and again 9 months later.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Yes, of course.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Rose789 wrote:Has anyone graduated without a job and gotten one over the course of the summer or early fall, or graduated with a job but found a better one in that same time frame?

I know a person who graduated in May and this last week got his dream job working as a PA in a town. In fairness though, he had applied to over 100 openings and he had another month before he ran out of money and would have to take a non-law job.

Rose789

Postby Rose789 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you for the anecdote.

Haha, I know I phrased the question in a way that could welcome a "yes, you moron" answer. More specifically, I am looking for advice on how to start/re-start a job search at this time of year. Many, many unsolicited e-mails and a load of networking? Are law firms still open to hiring right now?

If jumping ship from one firm in the same city where an individual was an SA last summer and was invited back in September of '11, how much care and quietness is required in the job search, i.e., what is the risk of current employer finding out and then firing that individual?

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Rose789 wrote:Thank you for the anecdote.

Haha, I know I phrased the question in a way that could welcome a "yes, you moron" answer. More specifically, I am looking for advice on how to start/re-start a job search at this time of year. Many, many unsolicited e-mails and a load of networking? Are law firms still open to hiring right now?

If jumping ship from one firm in the same city where an individual was an SA last summer and was invited back in September of '11, how much care and quietness is required in the job search, i.e., what is the risk of current employer finding out and then firing that individual?

It's my understanding that firms generally wait until bar results are out to do hiring.

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm

know of someone in ny who got job after graduation for 45k. from TTT

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:35 pm

I got my job offer shortly after graduation. Public interest (stipended for one year, as is typical for legal nonprofit hiring). Talk to your professors again, even if you have already, because I never would have known this organization was hiring if I hadn't done so.

Return to “Legal Employment”