Top 10% at BU

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Top 10% at BU

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Might as well toss my hat in the ring. Top 1/3, LR, no time off b/w undergrad and law school. My bid ranking right now is loosely just ranking by requirements and prestige. It doesn't seem to involve much strategy. What should I be doing?

I would also bid a little conservatively, but I say this as someone who hasn't gone through OCI yet. The top two things employers look for when they are figuring out who to interview are grades and work experience, and those aspects seem to be lacking a little given what you have shared. I would probably put some top firms first that aren't entirely numbers-based.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Might as well toss my hat in the ring. Top 1/3, LR, no time off b/w undergrad and law school. My bid ranking right now is loosely just ranking by requirements and prestige. It doesn't seem to involve much strategy. What should I be doing?

I would also bid a little conservatively, but I say this as someone who hasn't gone through OCI yet. The top two things employers look for when they are figuring out who to interview are grades and work experience, and those aspects seem to be lacking a little given what you have shared. I would probably put some top firms first that aren't entirely numbers-based.

Agreed, heard of similar people in your situation. You should be able to hook something with LR but with your grades at top 3rd make sure to bid widely (I know I am).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm one of the anons who posted earlier about not wanting Boston. I just booked my tickets back to Boston and I made them so I'd be coming back toward the tail end of OCI. It was a hard choice, but I don't want to participate because I wouldn't be happy working in Boston. I may be screwing myself over, but being close to family means a lot to me. Hope I don't regret my decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm the anon with top 1/3, LR, and no real WE. I should also add I want Bos, NYC, or DC. Two questions:

1) By wide net what do you mean? I plan on bidding almost everywhere and using all my bids. I can't imagine why I would not use all of my bids. Is that what you mean?

2) I probably can find this on TLS, but what are the more prestigious firms that are not hyper-numbers focused?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anon with top 1/3, LR, and no real WE. I should also add I want Bos, NYC, or DC. Two questions:

1) By wide net what do you mean? I plan on bidding almost everywhere and using all my bids. I can't imagine why I would not use all of my bids. Is that what you mean?

2) I probably can find this on TLS, but what are the more prestigious firms that are not hyper-numbers focused?

2. Weil, Latham

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the anon with top 1/3, LR, and no real WE. I should also add I want Bos, NYC, or DC. Two questions:

2. Weil, Latham

Weil/Latham are really competitive from BU unless you have some sort of connection that will help you out. If you mean Weil/Latham Boston, then they are no more or less prestigious than any other Boston regional office of a large firm (Foley & Lardner, Dechert, etc).

More prestigious Boston firms that aren't super numbers focused - Mintz dips to median, Skadden will hire down to top 1/3rd. It all depends on your interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The law school has really plunged since I enrolled. IMO its pretty poorly managed and the Dean, etc. doesn't seem to care that the CDO minus one or two people is largely a joke. I don't have the time really to post here, but I'll give advice as I went into the process totally blind and somehow ended up with a few offers. If I could do it over again, I would have done it very, very differently. Fire questions if you want - but I won't really speculate on your chances of an offer - too many factors to consider. People at median get big 3 offers, and some people in the top 10% get nothing. Its not a pure numbers game like law school admissions are, no matter what people say (within reason).

Bleh. As someone who made top 10% and hopes to get something this year, any advice aside from bid on safety/back-up firms?

What would you do differently? I'm coming in completely clueless about the bidding process, want to stay in Boston, and have pretty good numbers (~top 15% and LR, plus 2 years WE).

If you want to stay in Boston, still bid on NYC. If you strike out in Boston, you could apply again as a 3L with an offer, and it will be really, really helpful (30k for the summer is nice too). Look for firms with huge class sizes, not necessarily ones that are "less selective" - e.g., Bingham is less selective than RG/WH/GP, but it only takes like 5 people, so you're less likely to get an offer. This is especially true for those without great creds (you like be totally fine with grades like that and LR). The goal of OCI interviews (at least the screeners) is to show that you are a special little snowflake. What do you bring to the table that other BU or BC students don't that have the same grades. If you can sell yourself without being a tool, then you will likely outperform your grades by a lot.

A lot of it is also luck... you could have 10 CBs and 1 offer, but that offer is all you need. Some people get 1 CB and 1 offer - they are in the same position as the other guy.

Also, while its easy to be super pessimistic, I don't think you should be. Apply everywhere. I think we have 2 2Ls at Kirkland in Chicago this summer - not a hot-spot for BU, but its definitely doable. We have two graduating 3Ls at SullCrom, one at Cleary and two at Paul Weiss - not all of them were top 10%ers (I think).

Don't underestimate mass-mailing - for a lot of people it works. Make sure your resume is not only perfect but has interesting things on it - normally HR people will pull resumes for preselects and they will focus on credentials, but they are human too, and if something looks cool, you will get an interview.

And don't worry if you don't get a lot of preselects. I think I got like 4, and then was able to pick up 5 or 6 alternates and two of the latter turned into offers. 3L OCI, while you shouldn't rely on it at all, is not a complete waste. I know a handful of people that picked up offers through it.

Finally, research the firm. Do not walk into an interview saying you love tax law if the firm only has 2 tax people - you won't get a callback. Don't overresearch though either, firms don't want you sitting their reciting BS from their website. Fit is huge - if you interview and the people like you, you could be a median student heading to Goodwin - just don't hold your breath for Ropes (as I said, I think they're mostly just numbers based).[/quote]

Where do you suggest putting NY firms on your bid list if you'd rather have Boston?

Return to “Legal Employment”