Top 10% at BU

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chasgoose

Re: Top 10% at BU

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:half-joking: tell people you are gay and bid on the SF market.

there's this Lgbt guy who barely hit upper half at our T30 who got an offer from a SF office

Well this is delightfully stereotypical... Being LGBT helps everywhere, not just SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:19 pm

this is sad then: a gay guy who graduated 2 years ago and who RA'ed for a well-known corporate law professor is still without a full time attorney job.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 pm

You've already gotten far more qualified advice than mine OP (re: specifics), but I would say ITE don't get cocky--bid very conservatively IMO, even with your great grades. Worst case scenario is that you strike out because you bid too high IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Lawquacious wrote:You've already gotten far more qualified advice than mine OP (re: specifics), but I would say ITE don't get cocky--bid very conservatively IMO, even with your great grades. Worst case scenario is that you strike out because you bid too high IMO.

OP again. Oh definitely. I've heard enough stories of people who aimed too high without safeties and struck out. I have 40 bids through BU's OCI and I intend to use the majority if not all of them.

Edit: I'm also going to post a list in the next few days and try and get some feedback....so stay tuned. :P

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11 am

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I'm also at BU. What firms should I be looking at with a 3.42 (3.49=1/3), LR, and three years prior employment in academia (humanities tenure-track faculty)?

Or better, what firms should I not be looking at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:You've already gotten far more qualified advice than mine OP (re: specifics), but I would say ITE don't get cocky--bid very conservatively IMO, even with your great grades. Worst case scenario is that you strike out because you bid too high IMO.

OP again. Oh definitely. I've heard enough stories of people who aimed too high without safeties and struck out. I have 40 bids through BU's OCI and I intend to use the majority if not all of them.

Edit: I'm also going to post a list in the next few days and try and get some feedback....so stay tuned. :P

In all fairness, how can you overbid in Boston. Outside of the big 3, none of the other firms are completely distinguishable in terms of selectivity. Except maybe a few, all have similar class sizes with similar expectations.

Unless BU had a bunch of selective NY employes that BC doesn't have.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In all fairness, how can you overbid in Boston. Outside of the big 3, none of the other firms are completely distinguishable in terms of selectivity. Except maybe a few, all have similar class sizes with similar expectations.

Unless BU had a bunch of selective NY employes that BC doesn't have.

Some firms are definately more selective than others: Choate/Foley Hoag are more selective than a lot of other places, e.g., Mintz, Foley & Lardner, etc.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Last edited by RPK34 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:33 pm

I know foley hoag is selective. Is choate hall selective? last year none of the three hires even had honors. I know hiring was based on first year grades but still....

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to hijack OP's thread, but I'm also at BU. What firms should I be looking at with a 3.42 (3.49=1/3), LR, and three years prior employment in academia (humanities tenure-track faculty)?

Or better, what firms should I not be looking at?

With LR, bid everywhere - you will be unpredictable given your below top 1/3rd grades. I was about that with LR and a few years of work experience and I it was totally random. I got shut out of less-competitive firms, but got callbacks at some of the most competitive in Boston. I would balance out your bid list and bid aggresively on NYC. Good "safety" (although absolutely none are) firms in NYC are places like Cadwalader which gives out tons of BU offers. Also, Goodwin in Boston is mostly BU, but I hear for lit. work they like top 10% + LR types of people (although thats not universal). Ropes is definately the most purely numbers driven, and so will not likely work out.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know foley hoag is selective. Is choate hall selective? last year none of the three hires even had honors. I know hiring was based on first year grades but still....

They are just as selective as FoleyHoag - but in a different way. FoleyHoag seems to just want grades/journal, and Choate goes for fit. Choate may also not get a ton of the honors people because a lot of people who get offers there go to R/GP/WH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Okay, I'll play too!

3.57 (just snuck into the top 25%), Secondary Journal, IP. Looking to stay in Boston/New England-- from here and went to UG here.

Have 7 preselects at PLIP for Boston firms-- any OCI advice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Is it just me, or is it odd that Section A consists of literally half the people on Law Review this year? Do they take into account grade discrepancies among sections? Or did Section A just do that awesome? :-)

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it just me, or is it odd that Section A consists of literally half the people on Law Review this year? Do they take into account grade discrepancies among sections? Or did Section A just do that awesome? :-)

Its usually section C that dominates LR.

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, I'll play too!

3.57 (just snuck into the top 25%), Secondary Journal, IP. Looking to stay in Boston/New England-- from here and went to UG here.

Have 7 preselects at PLIP for Boston firms-- any OCI advice?

Boston is your oyster. You have a shot anywhere in Boston - especially firms that do tons of IP Lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:50 pm

HELP ME TOO, please. Just barely top 1/3 (3.45-3.49) at BU, not much work experience, secondary journal, looking for Boston or NY, business/corporate, nothing else really significant to say. Do I have an OK chance at OCI? I know bigger, less prestigious firms, with big summer classes are the way to go, but anything more specific advice? No chance at R&G??

THANK YOU.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HELP ME TOO, please. Just barely top 1/3 (3.45-3.49) at BU, not much work experience, secondary journal, looking for Boston or NY, business/corporate, nothing else really significant to say. Do I have an OK chance at OCI? I know bigger, less prestigious firms, with big summer classes are the way to go, but anything more specific advice? No chance at R&G??

THANK YOU.

Yer fucked. Better grades and LR last year, no SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 am

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HELP ME TOO, please. Just barely top 1/3 (3.45-3.49) at BU, not much work experience, secondary journal, looking for Boston or NY, business/corporate, nothing else really significant to say. Do I have an OK chance at OCI? I know bigger, less prestigious firms, with big summer classes are the way to go, but anything more specific advice? No chance at R&G??

THANK YOU.

Yer fucked. Better grades and LR last year, no SA.

Seriously? God, BU is a scary place to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 am

THANK YOU.

It will probably be tough. The economy will probably be better next summer, but I would personally bid conservatively and look at all markets you may have a connection to. Make sure to have a great cover letter, but try to get out as many applications as you can and network. And make sure that if you get an interview in OCI, those interviews are sparkling! Once you get the interview, personality is what matters. :-)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 am

New anon:
What if I have no desire to be in Boston or New York? I'm from a smaller southern city, hated living in Boston this year, and don't think I'd like NYC but I couldn't say for sure since I've never stayed there for more than a couple days. Can I skip OCI and rely on mass-mailing and minority job fairs? Or is skipping OCI always a stupid thing to do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:51 am

Another anon:

What would you say my chances are for big-law in Boston or NY? Top 20% with secondary journal. Few years of work experience, one in finance. I'm also considering transferring and have gotten into two T-14 schools so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:New anon:
What if I have no desire to be in Boston or New York? I'm from a smaller southern city, hated living in Boston this year, and don't think I'd like NYC but I couldn't say for sure since I've never stayed there for more than a couple days. Can I skip OCI and rely on mass-mailing and minority job fairs? Or is skipping OCI always a stupid thing to do?

I'm not from Boston either, and I would hate to end up practicing law here. I want to practice law in California, but I'm still doing OCI just to be safe. But I'm different, because I'm applying to the ultra-competitive San Francisco market. I would ask CDO for their advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Another anon:

What would you say my chances are for big-law in Boston or NY? Top 20% with secondary journal. Few years of work experience, one in finance. I'm also considering transferring and have gotten into two T-14 schools so far.

Hmm... dunno. I don't know much about transferring and whether that gives you a leg up with OCI, since OCI happens so early. But congrats on getting into a T-14! (I wish I had had the foresight of transferring, but it would have been a huge pain.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:New anon:

I'm not from Boston either, and I would hate to end up practicing law here. I want to practice law in California, but I'm still doing OCI just to be safe. But I'm different, because I'm applying to the ultra-competitive San Francisco market. I would ask CDO for their advice.

I would feel bad though, taking interviews at places where I had no desire to work. If I got an offer, I might take it, but I might not. We'll see what happens if I'm lucky enough to be in that situation.

I've found the CDO to be useless. Maura Kelly is a sweetheart, and I'm sure the rest of the CDO tries their best, but they haven't been able to give any useful advice. I asked for bidding advice and was told to bid on places that interest me, don't try to game the system. So, they don't want me to try to maximize my chance of getting an offer based on past placement statistics? And everyone you have review your resume asks you to change something that the last person asked you to put this way. I'm tired of them and frankly don't trust their advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:38 am

[quote="Anonymous User"]I've found the CDO to be useless. Maura Kelly is a sweetheart, and I'm sure the rest of the CDO tries their best, but they haven't been able to give any useful advice. I asked for bidding advice and was told to bid on places that interest me, don't try to game the system. So, they don't want me to try to maximize my chance of getting an offer based on past placement statistics? And everyone you have review your resume asks you to change something that the last person asked you to put this way. I'm tired of them and frankly don't trust their advice.[/quote]

I agree with this. Honestly, that is one of the reasons I'm considering transferring. I spoke to someone at the CDO of one of the school's I'm considering transferring to without having accepted the spot yet, and he was very honest with me about what firms I should be bidding on and what my chances are of getting an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've found the CDO to be useless. Maura Kelly is a sweetheart, and I'm sure the rest of the CDO tries their best, but they haven't been able to give any useful advice. I asked for bidding advice and was told to bid on places that interest me, don't try to game the system. So, they don't want me to try to maximize my chance of getting an offer based on past placement statistics? And everyone you have review your resume asks you to change something that the last person asked you to put this way. I'm tired of them and frankly don't trust their advice.

I agree with this. Honestly, that is one of the reasons I'm considering transferring. I spoke to someone at the CDO of one of the school's I'm considering transferring to without having accepted the spot yet, and he was very honest with me about what firms I should be bidding on and what my chances are of getting an interview.

No wonder our placement is so bad. This is the only thing the CDO has to do, and they can't even help us with that. I don't even want to get into what a waste of space and money Josh Cooper is.

Return to “Legal Employment”