Bidding on Susman at UT

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nonprofit-prophet

Bidding on Susman at UT

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Does anyone know how big their summer associate class is? Do people actually get SA offers from OCI or is it a waste of a bid from UT? I have roughly a 4.0.

Munson

Re: Bidding on Susman at UT

Postby Munson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 am

You can get a look with those numbers. Probably five or less summers for all offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know how big their summer associate class is? Do people actually get SA offers from OCI or is it a waste of a bid from UT? I have roughly a 4.0.

Susman hires about 2 summers for each of their offices. Since you are at UT, they'll probably consider you for the Houston/Dallas offices. So that means your competing for 4 spots along with students from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Chicago (the other schools they do OCI at).

Since you have a 4.0, you app won't get chucked out the window but you should know that the firm has very few spots available so your stellar grades won't be enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Does anyone know how big their summer associate class is? Do people actually get SA offers from OCI or is it a waste of a bid from UT? I have roughly a 4.0.

Not a waste. But, of course, know that you are playing with fire as you may not get a perm. offer from the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 am

or, even worse, you may get a permanent offer from them. Enjoy never leaving the office. Ever. Literally.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:47 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecareerist/2011/02/susman-qa.html

Offers contingent on landing a federal clerkship.

this is actually true

I know someone whose offer they rescinded after he failed to land a federal clerkship.

Summering with them really means nothing because they will only consider you for full-time employment if they like your work and you land a federal clerkship.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:51 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 pm

They require you to do a federal clerkship to get a full time offer I believe.

Edit: Oh, Scooped:

JusticeJackson wrote:http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecareerist/2011/02/susman-qa.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

this is actually true

I know someone whose offer they rescinded after he failed to land a federal clerkship.

Summering with them really means nothing because they will only consider you for full-time employment if they like your work and you land a federal clerkship.

I'm blown away someone could land Susman, but couldn't land a federal clerkship. Do you know if it's a federal COA clerkship, or will a district court clerkship suffice?

He eventually got a clerkship but it just goes to show you that they are serious about the rule. Also district court will suffice and theoretically you would think that they would encourage or prefer district court clerks since Susman is so trial oriented. However, practically all their hires recently come from CoA.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:07 am

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:He eventually got a clerkship but it just goes to show you that they are serious about the rule. Also district court will suffice and theoretically you would think that they would encourage or prefer district court clerks since Susman is so trial oriented. However, practically all their hires recently come from CoA.

Did he get an offer after he landed the clerkship? They sent a letter to me at the chambers of the COA judge I clerked for, but I got a ding when I applied. I think they mass mail all COA clerks. Their letter listed some pretty sweet bonuses, if I recall correctly.

Edit: I found the letter. Not as sweet as I remembered. They say bonuses typically equal 25-100+% of associate annual salary, and last year bonuses ranged from 45K to over 100K. Pretty good though. Better than what I get now.

I don't know whether he eventually got the offer.

Also their bonuses are larger than any firm not named Wachtell. And if you are in the TX's offices, when you factor in COL and no federal taxes, its probably the highest paying firm for associates right now. Add to the fact that they have a short partnership track of 5 years after a clerkship. In my opinion, if you want to a civil litigator, I can't think of a better firm for a young associate in terms of experience and compensation.

The NY office is right now probably the toughest one to get into. They seem to only be hiring associates that are SCOTUS clerk material.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:He eventually got a clerkship but it just goes to show you that they are serious about the rule. Also district court will suffice and theoretically you would think that they would encourage or prefer district court clerks since Susman is so trial oriented. However, practically all their hires recently come from CoA.

Did he get an offer after he landed the clerkship? They sent a letter to me at the chambers of the COA judge I clerked for, but I got a ding when I applied. I think they mass mail all COA clerks. Their letter listed some pretty sweet bonuses, if I recall correctly.

Edit: I found the letter. Not as sweet as I remembered. They say bonuses typically equal 25-100+% of associate annual salary, and last year bonuses ranged from 45K to over 100K. Pretty good though. Better than what I get now.

I don't know whether he eventually got the offer.

Also their bonuses are larger than any firm not named Wachtell. And if you are in the TX's offices, when you factor in COL and no federal taxes, its probably the highest paying firm for associates right now. Add to the fact that they have a short partnership track of 5 years after a clerkship. In my opinion, if you want to a civil litigator, I can't think of a better firm for a young associate in terms of experience and compensation.

The NY office is right now probably the toughest one to get into. They seem to only be hiring associates that are SCOTUS clerk material.

Return to “Legal Employment”