GULC 3.7 Bidlist + Markets Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC 3.7 Bidlist + Markets Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: GULC 3.7 Bidlist + Markets Questions

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 pm

There's always some jackass prof who dings smart guys like you with a low grade. IDGI. :?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:01 pm

So basically, your second question is: "Formulate my bidding strategy for me in its entirety. Thanks!"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 pm

To be clear: I'm in the process of doing all my research right now (bid:screener ratios, historical GPA hiring, etc.) I'm not asking anyone to put together my bid list -- we have until the end of July. I'm just trying to figure out some of the basic strategic questions that OCS hasn't been very helpful with ("Bid wherever you want"). Maybe I didn't formulate that second question very well... I'll work on it.

Moose700

Postby Moose700 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm

I just posted a very similar post before seeing yours -- we're also probably in the same section. Hopefully we can get some answers by combining.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(3) I'm very interested in venture capital and early stage private company funding. I'd like to mass mail SF/SV firms and apply to some SF/SV firms through our other interview programs. My only ties are that my sister lives in SF and I have many cousins out there. Obviously, not particularly strong, but that is clearly the place for that type of work. What sort of shot do I have with the SF/SV firms that do this kind of transactional work (WSGR, Orrick, Kirkland, etc.) based on my grades and desire to do that kind of work?

Are you doing OTIP in SF? I wasn't too impressed with the number of firms at the SF date. Since I'm not IP, it narrowed the list down even further. I was thinking of mass mailing some firms too and mentioning the dates I'll be in town in August.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 am

Congratulations on doing well. I would venture to say that you should be fine bidding on most firms (even with the B) out of GULC with those grades. Maybe avoid Cravath, but people in the class of 2012 did fine at the top NY firms with those numbers on the whole. Just be smart with your bidding strategy to maximize chances and contact the firms you didn't get an interview with once results come out from the lottery. But as long as you can interview you would be competitive for getting callbacks from at least DPW, Weil, PW, the V11-20s, maybe even SullCrom though that may be more of a stretch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:42 am

chipchip wrote:Congratulations on doing well. I would venture to say that you should be fine bidding on most firms (even with the B) out of GULC with those grades. Maybe avoid Cravath, but people in the class of 2012 did fine at the top NY firms with those numbers on the whole. Just be smart with your bidding strategy to maximize chances and contact the firms you didn't get an interview with once results come out from the lottery. But as long as you can interview you would be competitive for getting callbacks from at least DPW, Weil, PW, the V11-20s, maybe even SullCrom though that may be more of a stretch.

Agreed, and I think that you should go ahead and bid both Cravath and S&C if they interest you. Anecdotally, Cravath seemed less grade-sensitive at my T14, but their CB process is more involved. I don't think either firm is out of reach with those grades, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chipchip wrote:Congratulations on doing well. I would venture to say that you should be fine bidding on most firms (even with the B) out of GULC with those grades. Maybe avoid Cravath, but people in the class of 2012 did fine at the top NY firms with those numbers on the whole. Just be smart with your bidding strategy to maximize chances and contact the firms you didn't get an interview with once results come out from the lottery. But as long as you can interview you would be competitive for getting callbacks from at least DPW, Weil, PW, the V11-20s, maybe even SullCrom though that may be more of a stretch.

Agreed, and I think that you should go ahead and bid both Cravath and S&C if they interest you. Anecdotally, Cravath seemed less grade-sensitive at my T14, but their CB process is more involved. I don't think either firm is out of reach with those grades, though.

Thank you both, the info is very helpful. Previous anonymous poster: do you have a sense of what it took grades-wise for a callback at Cravath?

Also, to anyone else: at the most selective firms (let's just say V10 for simplicity), how much bearing does it seem, from your experience, GPA has on offer chances once you get to the callback stage? That is to say, is GPA more a filter from screener --> callback and then fit/personality takes over after that, or would those firms prefer a jackass with a 3.82 to a normal person with a 3.72?

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

Just my opinion, but I think that the CB stage is all about fit. It doesn't make a ton of sense to spend the money on getting you the to CB and wasting the partners' time just to ding you on grades. It may make a slight marginal difference, but the focus is definitely on personality at CBs.

I don't know if someone mentioned this above, but for bidding strategy make sure that you look at the list how many interview slots each firm has available. DPW for example has like 6 schedules and it is really easy to get an interview with them. So don't waste a top bid. Other firms may only have one schedule so you have to put them at the top.

Also I would put some of your safety firms higher on your bid list. Most people aren't bidding on Cravath, S&C or Quinn because CSO does a fairly good job of telling people not to waste their time or their bids. But the mid range firms are the ones that people with lower GPAs will be targeting. Just be careful not to have your safety firms too far down the bid list and end up without an interview at any of them.

Good luck. W/ a 3.7 you'll have lots of good options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Does anyone else have thoughts on the questions above?

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Once you've gone through the screener stage, the GPA matters almost zilch, most likely. The firms weed out those who don't meet their cutoffs during the screener stage. The rest of it is about fit and such. (Gibson Dunn, for instance, typically hosts a dinner the night after their last screeners for GULC students, and they've generally picked those out before they even interview you in some cases).

Also, I agree with what XM said. Really look at the number of screeners available and don't waste high bids on firms with many interviews. Moreover, remember that the Top 20 you bid on will get your resume, and you can always reach out to ones that you don't get from the lottery.

ETA: Cravath generally picked people for CBs with a 3.7+. There may have been an exception or two, but I never personally asked any classmates what their GPA was and such. The historical data from OCS should be helpful, ask them for more detail if you want.

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:12 pm

You will probably be right on the edge of Cravath CB numbers.

Also meant to say above that unlike most of what the CSO does, the mock interview program is very useful. You interview with a GULC alum in DC (or whereever you are) and I think they do a good job of giving you honest feedback. CSO had approved of my resume and the attorney I met with had a bunch ideas for improvement. It can also be a good networking opportunity b/c usually the attorney will contact friends at the firms you are planning to interview with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Exact same 1L GPA as you last year at GULC. Didn't do so hot in NY, but I think that's cause they could sense I wanted to be in DC. I knew a couple of people with slightly higher and lower GPAs who absolutely killed it in NY.

I'd go ahead and bid on whoever you want. But don't put the most selective firms at the very top of your bidlist. Most people won't bid on them so you'll be able to snag them when you place them in lower slots. I put DPW at 24 and got a lottery interview.

Also, you will pick up a shit ton of interviews just by emailing your resume to whoever you didn't get in the lottery. I got 10 extra and I didn't spam anywhere near as much as I could have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”