GW OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GW OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:10 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:How do transfers tend to fair at GW OCI?

I was just accepted yesterday. I'm transferring from a lower T2 so I assume my options will be much better here.

Not to burst your bubble, but the saying that you probably won't do much better than you would have than had you stayed at your original school probably rings true here. You may get a few interviews if you are lucky, and a callback/offer then if you have the personality for it. GWU is a great school, and if you have good GWU grades the best firms in the country will look at you. Unfortunately things change a little when you are a transfer student. I transferred from a T2 school last year, had a miserable OCI (5 interviews, one callback, no offers) and then was lucky to get a big law summer associate position off a direct write.

Here's hoping that things are better overall this year and that you are able to prove me wrong. I am sure a few transfers strike gold, but the odds seem to be against it in OCI. Your best bet is to network like crazy starting now if you are hoping for a big law gig. You should still be able to get what you want, but don't wait for OCI to let you down before making other plans. (Also, avoid asking career services for advice. they will tell you that it is too late to achieve your goals and advise you to take a different step that "will lead you to the job you want." You should fight as hard as you can for what you want until it is completely impossible to succeed. My offer didn't come until February and I really enjoyed telling that to the CDO)

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:33 pm

good luck, 2Ls!

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:56 pm

apparently my time spent on 3LOL OCI would have been better spent drinking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 pm

OCI results are up, profile updated :mrgreen: rocksteady and bebop :mrgreen:

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

What do you guys mean by "resume drop"?

Is that the resume collection on symplicity, mass mailing, or the direct write listings in the Jobs tab?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Got more interviews that I thought I would get as a transfer.

auds1008

Postby auds1008 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I was just accepted yesterday. I'm transferring from a lower T2 so I assume my options will be much better here.

Not to burst your bubble, but the saying that you probably won't do much better than you would have than had you stayed at your original school probably rings true here. You may get a few interviews if you are lucky, and a callback/offer then if you have the personality for it. GWU is a great school, and if you have good GWU grades the best firms in the country will look at you. Unfortunately things change a little when you are a transfer student. I transferred from a T2 school last year, had a miserable OCI (5 interviews, one callback, no offers) and then was lucky to get a big law summer associate position off a direct write.

Here's hoping that things are better overall this year and that you are able to prove me wrong. I am sure a few transfers strike gold, but the odds seem to be against it in OCI. Your best bet is to network like crazy starting now if you are hoping for a big law gig. You should still be able to get what you want, but don't wait for OCI to let you down before making other plans. (Also, avoid asking career services for advice. they will tell you that it is too late to achieve your goals and advise you to take a different step that "will lead you to the job you want." You should fight as hard as you can for what you want until it is completely impossible to succeed. My offer didn't come until February and I really enjoyed telling that to the CDO)

i'm curious as to whether the interviewers will look down on you because of your transfer status?

also the kind of questions, specifically for transfers, do the interviewers ask? obviously ones like why did you transfer? and why GWU? what else? thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 pm

auds1008 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i'm curious as to whether the interviewers will look down on you because of your transfer status?

also the kind of questions, specifically for transfers, do the interviewers ask? obviously ones like why did you transfer? and why GWU? what else? thanks!

I think they think about it, but they don't talk about it much. I did have one bad experience with a Vault Top-5 firm. The interviewer sat down, looked at my resume and said so you did your undergrad at xxxx school. I responded that that was where I had done my first year of law school. She exclaimed, "Oh, you're a transfer" with a really condescending voice and that was the end of any chance at a job there.

Still, be optimistic. You got an interview because you meet their requirements so you just need to crush the interview. While frustrating for those who don't get interviews, this is the benefit of pre-select vs. lottery. If you transferrred to a lottery school you may get more interviews with better firms, but there is no guarantee you even meet their minimum requirements. You should go in with optimism and don't take points from yourself for being a transfer student. If you don't they won't either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:05 am

I definitely got interviews with firms I'd never have a chance to get from my old school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 am

Updated mine (dreamcatcher).

Got just under 50%. Not too bad, was hoping for closer to 20+ but I'll take it.

Need to continue to mass mail though. Also glad I hedged a bit with NY - seems like it was less competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 am

I think the problem is not getting a few interviews with really good firms, but actually getting offers. For example, I interviewed with a V-10 firm and thought I would have a good chance. But my guess is most of the other 19 interviewees had killer GWU grades. Since GWU interviews don't usually lead to as many call-backs as T14 schools, it is just harder for us people with "lower" credentials to get offers. (Sadly, most of the transfer students end up with grades near the top of the class after second year, so the "lower" credentials are really unsubstantiated.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 am

Jack updated again. Was kinda shocked at the firms who did NOT select me for an interview. Some big ip/patent firms turned me down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:02 am

I got interviews with firms that are definitely not in my GPA range (judging from symplicity), but I did some ninja bidding like people suggested. Have a shot at call back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got interviews with firms that are definitely not in my GPA range (judging from symplicity), but I did some ninja bidding like people suggested. Have a shot at call back?

This is Jack again. "Ninja" bidding is a real thing. I bid on a lot of firms above my GPA (from symplicity). I did one super ninja bid on a v10 and landed that interview... but was denied at several IP firms outside the vault 100.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:18 am

page #2 *RandomSig* updated 27/38 with 3 alternates.

cant complain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:33 am

I'm in open-mouthed shock that I got a Weil screener. My grades are below GW. How many here bid them and got a screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in open-mouthed shock that I got a Weil screener. My grades are below GW. How many here bid them and got a screener?

+1. very shocked indeed. did you bid on the IP one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in open-mouthed shock that I got a Weil screener. My grades are below GW. How many here bid them and got a screener?

Yes, but still. I am not EE, CS, ME, or PhD Chem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Was there a non-IP one that I missed somewhere? I thought they were only interviewing for IP this year?
Congrats and landing the screener, but I think it probably wasn't as much of a steal as you're imagining. I know it seems like IP is everywhere at GW, but how many hardcore IP kids can there possibly be in the GW range? The good news is it means you should take the screener very seriously as you likely didn't just sneak into there by accident.

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was there a non-IP one that I missed somewhere? I thought they were only interviewing for IP this year?
Congrats and landing the screener, but I think it probably wasn't as much of a steal as you're imagining. I know it seems like IP is everywhere at GW, but how many hardcore IP kids can there possibly be in the GW range? The good news is it means you should take the screener very seriously as you likely didn't just sneak into there by accident.

I thought non EE, CS, ME, PhD CH were only marginally more competitive than BA political science. Plus, I got dinged at: Fitzpatrick, Frommer, Knobbe, LeClair Ryan, & McDermott, so idk wtf.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:55 pm

androstan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought non EE, CS, ME, PhD CH were only marginally more competitive than BA political science. Plus, I got dinged at: Fitzpatrick, Frommer, Knobbe, LeClair Ryan, & McDermott, so idk wtf.

I got dinged at all of those you mentioned, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
androstan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was there a non-IP one that I missed somewhere? I thought they were only interviewing for IP this year?

Stats?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
androstan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was there a non-IP one that I missed somewhere? I thought they were only interviewing for IP this year?

Stats?

Top 10% at old school w/ hard science background.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:45 am

Joining in.

Market(s): DC, CA
Approximate class rank (GW/Thurgood/Median): GW
Law review (Y/N): Y
Work experience (Y/N): Y (2y)
IP background (Y/N): N
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Foreign language
Screening Interviews: 24 at OCI
Mass mails: +-10
Callbacks received: 1 from mass mailing; 7 from OCI
Callbacks accepted: 6
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V10, 2 V20, 4 V50
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
Thank-you notes sent: 0

-Andrew Ryan
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:32 am

Any NY regional callbacks yet? Which firms?

Return to “Legal Employment”