Am I screwed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Am I screwed?

Yes
16
36%
No
28
64%
 
Total votes: 44

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:40 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^
yep midlaw means you work the same hours but get paid less

definitely better than nothing, though

I am summering at a midlaw firm. It can mean that. It can also mean one or two weekends a year, max; office is dead at 7 p.m., 10% less than NYC market pay and significantly better partnership chances (2 new partners this year out of the 9 new hires that year).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
yep midlaw means you work the same hours but get paid less

definitely better than nothing, though

I am summering at a midlaw firm. It can mean that. It can also mean one or two weekends a year, max; office is dead at 7 p.m., 10% less than NYC market pay and significantly better partnership chances (2 new partners this year out of the 9 new hires that year).


I've heard an odd rumor that sometimes your experience as a summer associate is not a completely accurate depiction of what being a 1st year associate is like. Honestly, I do hope that you have a magical experience throughout your years at your anonymous midlaw firm and glide into the partnership ranks working 9 to 6 and no weekends.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:11 pm

As it turns out, he trolled up two threads tonight, not just this one -
so he'll be gone for a bit longer than earlier stated.
But not forever. Yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
yep midlaw means you work the same hours but get paid less

definitely better than nothing, though

I am summering at a midlaw firm. It can mean that. It can also mean one or two weekends a year, max; office is dead at 7 p.m., 10% less than NYC market pay and significantly better partnership chances (2 new partners this year out of the 9 new hires that year).


I've heard an odd rumor that sometimes your experience as a summer associate is not a completely accurate depiction of what being a 1st year associate is like. Honestly, I do hope that you have a magical experience throughout your years at your anonymous midlaw firm and glide into the partnership ranks working 9 to 6 and no weekends.

Funniest thing, when you're a summer, you actually can observe what associate demands are like. You don't have to live in your own little experience bubble the whole time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
yep midlaw means you work the same hours but get paid less

definitely better than nothing, though

I am summering at a midlaw firm. It can mean that. It can also mean one or two weekends a year, max; office is dead at 7 p.m., 10% less than NYC market pay and significantly better partnership chances (2 new partners this year out of the 9 new hires that year).


I am summering at a market paying firm that's pretty much as you describe it. And it's a top firm in its practice areas. So it doesn't have to be midlaw and/or getting paid less.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:^
yep midlaw means you work the same hours but get paid less

definitely better than nothing, though

I am summering at a midlaw firm. It can mean that. It can also mean one or two weekends a year, max; office is dead at 7 p.m., 10% less than NYC market pay and significantly better partnership chances (2 new partners this year out of the 9 new hires that year).


I am summering at a market paying firm that's pretty much as you describe it. And it's a top firm in its practice areas. So it doesn't have to be midlaw and/or getting paid less.


OP here

I am very glad to see that there are not one, but two people working midlaw gigs. That is to say, people who know what they're talking about. Given my situation, do you think I could pick something up if I play my cards right? Oral sex is not out of the question at this point. Just kidding, but only kinda.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm necro-bumping. All that's changed is I would be fine working at any size firm, and I am on two secondary journals now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Sub-median URM at UT? Hope you bid conservatively for OCI and have already started mass mailing, emailing alumni in relevant firms, and calling in favors from former employers. Don't expect to get anything from OCI, but it could happen. Do not wait until OCI finishes to start your job search, it will be too late.

FWIW, two secondaries aren't any better than a single secondary.

Are you from Texas? If so, better chances at TX firms. If not, worse chances. Start mailing/emailing/contacting firms in your home market now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sub-median URM at UT? Hope you bid conservatively for OCI and have already started mass mailing, emailing alumni in relevant firms, and calling in favors from former employers. Don't expect to get anything from OCI, but it could happen. Do not wait until OCI finishes to start your job search, it will be too late.

FWIW, two secondaries aren't any better than a single secondary.

Are you from Texas? If so, better chances at TX firms. If not, worse chances. Start mailing/emailing/contacting firms in your home market now.


fuck. I want to stay in Texas. for a few years at least.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sub-median URM at UT? Hope you bid conservatively for OCI and have already started mass mailing, emailing alumni in relevant firms, and calling in favors from former employers. Don't expect to get anything from OCI, but it could happen. Do not wait until OCI finishes to start your job search, it will be too late.

FWIW, two secondaries aren't any better than a single secondary.

Are you from Texas? If so, better chances at TX firms. If not, worse chances. Start mailing/emailing/contacting firms in your home market now.


TICR. You need to work your ass off. Trust me, I am a MA URM in the top quarter, and I am working my ass off to make sure my prospects are as good as possible. Arguably, I only need to have some good interviews during OCI to get biglaw, but I am not getting complacent. Do not think that those above you, even the URMs, are taking it easy.

As far as your MA status goes: do you speak fluently? Do you have a hispanic last name? I know those are often very important at the Capitol. Biglaw (caveat: often) cares more about being able to report diversity to NALP, but if you're shooting for midlaw and the like, they may be more concerned about how much business you can bring from the MA community, or how much diversity you appear to add (going back to hispanic last name).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Am I screwed

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sub-median URM at UT? Hope you bid conservatively for OCI and have already started mass mailing, emailing alumni in relevant firms, and calling in favors from former employers. Don't expect to get anything from OCI, but it could happen. Do not wait until OCI finishes to start your job search, it will be too late.

FWIW, two secondaries aren't any better than a single secondary.

Are you from Texas? If so, better chances at TX firms. If not, worse chances. Start mailing/emailing/contacting firms in your home market now.


TICR. You need to work your ass off. Trust me, I am a MA URM in the top quarter, and I am working my ass off to make sure my prospects are as good as possible. Arguably, I only need to have some good interviews during OCI to get biglaw, but I am not getting complacent. Do not think that those above you, even the URMs, are taking it easy.

As far as your MA status goes: do you speak fluently? Do you have a hispanic last name? I know those are often very important at the Capitol. Biglaw (caveat: often) cares more about being able to report diversity to NALP, but if you're shooting for midlaw and the like, they may be more concerned about how much business you can bring from the MA community, or how much diversity you appear to add (going back to hispanic last name).


I'm AA, actually.

ETA: OP, again. This gets confusing some times.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.