2012 Penn OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Gold

Re: 2012 Penn OCI Thread

Post by Veyron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:43 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I struck out for NYC/DC. 2 Philly offers (I am thankful). Most of my friends accepted Philly or Delaware offers. Hard to discuss offers in a group since there are a couple especially qualified friends still hoping for the best. I assume offers are still coming in, correct?
Yes, I received cbs and offers this past week. Congrats on Philly offers. I did limited interviewing for Philly and Delaware and did not receive any local offers. I am glad that Philly/DE has been nicer to others who want to stay. Honestly I think this is only slightly into the second half of OCI, so more people will receive offers in the coming weeks.
So where were your offers? in NYC? I also struck out in Philly and NJ, but received an offer at my first choice firm in nyc. So, I'm thrilled. You would think the firm paying the highest salaries in nyc would be much more selective than Philly, but it does not appear to be this way.
NYC has much larger class sizes, so it's not as competitive. Philly is also looking for people who truly want to be in Philly, not people who are there clearly as a backup plan. Not many people are going to question why someone wants to work in NYC, and even if they did ask, a half assed answer suffices. And 145k in Philly is worth more than 160k in NYC when you factor in cost of living.

So no, one wouldn't expect NYC to be more selective because they pay 15k more. Philly is historically a tough market.
NYC and Philly are selective in different ways. Depending on who you are one or the other may be easier for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Although not totally anecdotal, as I understand it, Philly mid-law compensation ranges between $110K-$125K, Philly big-law is around $145K and Delaware BL is closer to $160K. Anyone agree/disagree?

The difference between ML/BL is not enormous but not pocket change either.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Although not totally anecdotal, as I understand it, Philly mid-law compensation ranges between $110K-$125K, Philly big-law is around $145K and Delaware BL is closer to $160K. Anyone agree/disagree?
Delaware BL is more widely variable I'd say in general most firms pay between 120 and 145. Obviously there are a few that pay 160. You also have to take into account that the cost of living in Delaware is low as fuck and their taxes are likewise low as fuck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Although not totally anecdotal, as I understand it, Philly mid-law compensation ranges between $110K-$125K, Philly big-law is around $145K and Delaware BL is closer to $160K. Anyone agree/disagree?
Delaware BL is more widely variable I'd say in general most firms pay between 120 and 145. Obviously there are a few that pay 160. You also have to take into account that the cost of living in Delaware is low as fuck and their taxes are likewise low as fuck.
Agree on Wilmington! On a slightly difference topic, did anyone here in Philly participate as a 1L SA. I know they are rare but since a few were offered in NYC, I just wondered about Philly. If so, what was it like and how did it work out?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Veyron wrote:
Delaware market is $145k, with a few big firms each paying 160 and in the 125-145 range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Struck Out at OCI, but have heard back from 3 mass mails so far, with two of those being invitations for interviews from ~50 person firms in PA. Keep going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Struck Out at OCI, but have heard back from 3 mass mails so far, with two of those being invitations for interviews from ~50 person firms in PA. Keep going.
How did you find those firms and when did you contact them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Struck Out at OCI, but have heard back from 3 mass mails so far, with two of those being invitations for interviews from ~50 person firms in PA. Keep going.
How did you find those firms and when did you contact them?
Martindale Search. Took a everything in PA that could be called a "city" that wasn't Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, did a search of every single firm with an office in each of those cities, and checked the websites of every one that was listed as having 25+ attorneys (or didn't have the number of attorney's listed) to see if they advertised an SA program. I sent materials out September 20th and heard back from one on Thursday (via phone) and another (via snail mail!) yesterday.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 am

Veyron wrote:
PennBull wrote:
NYC has much larger class sizes, so it's not as competitive. Philly is also looking for people who truly want to be in Philly, not people who are there clearly as a backup plan. Not many people are going to question why someone wants to work in NYC, and even if they did ask, a half assed answer suffices. And 145k in Philly is worth more than 160k in NYC when you factor in cost of living.

So no, one wouldn't expect NYC to be more selective because they pay 15k more. Philly is historically a tough market.
NYC and Philly are selective in different ways. Depending on who you are one or the other may be easier for you.
There is no reason why I would not be able to get an offer here though. No reason. Their loss.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Any recent news from Philly firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any recent news from Philly firms?
I think it's all down to resume collects now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 pm

There was an email for a resume collect today. Also, I think southern/midwestern markets are not done with OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm

what is the general consesus....50% of the class got big law for SA?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is the general consesus....50% of the class got big law for SA?
Sounds about right. Maybe another 15% got boutiques/market-paying midlaw, with the remaining 1/3 being SOL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what is the general consesus....50% of the class got big law for SA?
Sounds about right. Maybe another 15% got boutiques/market-paying midlaw, with the remaining 1/3 being SOL.
That's pretty solid. Why all the doom and gloom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It's definitely a downturn from last year. NY stagnated and secondary markets contracted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It's definitely a downturn from last year. NY stagnated and secondary markets contracted.
Sure...but let's have some perspective. 65% of the class employed for the summer...that's pretty darn great...especially if they are making over 2k per week. Think about other law students who are not fortunate enough to attend this fine institution...I'm pretty sure they would be ecstatic with such statistics...a lot of schools probably don't even have 65% of the class employed at graduation. So all in all I'd say that's pretty solid. The 1/3 who didn't get anything should still be ok long term as compared to law schools outside of the top echelon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Sounds about right. Maybe another 15% got boutiques/market-paying midlaw, with the remaining 1/3 being SOL.
Sure...but let's have some perspective. 65% of the class employed for the summer...that's pretty darn great...especially if they are making over 2k per week. Think about other law students who are not fortunate enough to attend this fine institution...I'm pretty sure they would be ecstatic with such statistics...a lot of schools probably don't even have 65% of the class employed at graduation. So all in all I'd say that's pretty solid. The 1/3 who didn't get anything should still be ok long term as compared to law schools outside of the top echelon.
That's easy to say when you have such a job. Could it be worse? Of course. Does that change anything for the additional 10-15% who got fucked this OCI cycle? Not a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It's definitely a downturn from last year. NY stagnated and secondary markets contracted.
Anonymous User wrote: Sure...but let's have some perspective. 65% of the class employed for the summer...that's pretty darn great...especially if they are making over 2k per week. Think about other law students who are not fortunate enough to attend this fine institution...I'm pretty sure they would be ecstatic with such statistics...a lot of schools probably don't even have 65% of the class employed at graduation. So all in all I'd say that's pretty solid. The 1/3 who didn't get anything should still be ok long term as compared to law schools outside of the top echelon.
This guy is a perfect example why no one likes law school students. I don't even go to Penn, but goodness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:35 pm

how are people coming up with these figures? there hasn't been much activity on here and are people talking about it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how are people coming up with these figures? there hasn't been much activity on here and are people talking about it?
Pretty sure it's all word-of-mouth, which would make it useless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how are people coming up with these figures? there hasn't been much activity on here and are people talking about it?
Pretty sure it's all word-of-mouth, which would make it useless.
It's a ballpark estimate. Certainly not conclusive, but not quite useless. From talking to 3Ls, there are a lot more wide-eyed and jobless people walking around this year than last. If things ultimately turn out better than they seem, great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 pm

where are people applying? a third of the class seems like a lot

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What percentage of the class would you guess didn't do OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:37 pm

CP&P says things are about the same as last year. They were expecting things to get better, and they didn't, but they didn't get worse according to them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”