2012 Penn OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Penn OCI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:45 pm

CPP told me that things were worse. But the mixed messages really are not surprising.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CPP told me that things were worse. But the mixed messages really are not surprising.
I'm sure the message differs depending on who you talked to. But I think your CPP advisor has a better idea of the way things are shaking out (or perhaps is more willing to state the unpleasant truth).

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's pretty solid. Why all the doom and gloom.
It's definitely a downturn from last year. NY stagnated and secondary markets contracted.
Sure...but let's have some perspective. 65% of the class employed for the summer...that's pretty darn great...especially if they are making over 2k per week. Think about other law students who are not fortunate enough to attend this fine institution...I'm pretty sure they would be ecstatic with such statistics...a lot of schools probably don't even have 65% of the class employed at graduation. So all in all I'd say that's pretty solid. The 1/3 who didn't get anything should still be ok long term as compared to law schools outside of the top echelon.
I'm guessing (and hoping) troll ("fine institution") but if not....Let me guess: you got an SA. You should try to think a little bit more about the impact of your words on the people in your class who wanted to get a job through OCI but did not. A non-negligible portion of the 1/3 who did not get an SA will struggle with finding full-time bona fide (ie, not school-funded) legal employment. Some will get clerkships. Some will get PI/gov although that is rarer than unicorn teeth; it is about 100x easier to get big law from Penn than to get PI/gov (I'm talking about full-time long-term paid employment, not summer internships). But a lot will struggle while worrying about their ever-increasing non-dischargeable student loans, so don't be so cavalier about their plight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:03 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:But a lot will struggle while worrying about their ever-increasing non-dischargeable student loans, so don't be so cavalier about their plight.
I believe most people are extremely sensitive. We never discuss SAs when someone we know without an SA is around. My friends were constantly passing along late arriving callbacks. I became very good about avoidance last year after receiving a 1L SA. When asked about OCI I usually pretended that it was a real pain (even though I never went). I believe we are tremendously aware (and saddened) about their dilemma, especially since all the people I know who are still looking are smart and qualified.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:But a lot will struggle while worrying about their ever-increasing non-dischargeable student loans, so don't be so cavalier about their plight.
I believe most people are extremely sensitive. We never discuss SAs when someone we know without an SA is around. My friends were constantly passing along late arriving callbacks. I became very good about avoidance last year after receiving a 1L SA. When asked about OCI I usually pretended that it was a real pain (even though I never went). I believe we are tremendously aware (and saddened) about their dilemma, especially since all the people I know who are still looking are smart and qualified.
I was writing specifically to the author of the post I quoted. I don't doubt that most people at Penn are more sensitive. I am also headed to big law, but it is a 'there but for the grace of god go i' thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”