NJ Firms + Duane Morris NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NJ Firms + Duane Morris NY

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Does anybody know whether Duane Morris NY is less grade intensive or more grade intensive at OCI than its philly office? Also, what kind of ties do philly firms/offices require? The only ties i can articulate is that philly is close to my family in baltimore.

Also, does anybody have an idea about whether NJ firms are ties-intensive? My CSO told me to consider them because they are pretty gpa flexible. However, I have heard some bad stories from 3Ls who bid them and got nothing because they had no ties.

I go to cornell law.

Anonymous User

Re: NJ Firms + Duane Morris NY

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

NJ firms tend to be very interested in commitment to working in NJ. Not necessarily your ties to living there. Ultimately, they'r trying to determine if you have a genuine interest in working for the firm or if you're trying to leap into a NYC firm The firms that are true NJ firms are more sensitive to this than the ones that are NJ offices of NY/Philly/DC firms. Usually if they just have a NJ office it's likely that many of the people in that office work in other cities at some point or perhaps on a regular basis.

They don't really just come out and say "what are your ties to NJ" in the interview. They'll probably take a look at your resume and inquire about how you became interested in the firm. It's the seemingly innocuous questions about small details that give away a lot. That's why it's important to always make your interview make sense in terms of your past, and your future.
Figure out how to tie where you grew up with where you went to law school with where you want to work.
If you're from NY/NJ/PA it's pretty easy to do that. But if you're from half way across the country and Cornell was your dream school then just say things like I have always wanted to go to school and live and work "in this area." Or, I wanted to go to a school that I though would give me the best chance to work "in the state."

You don't have to give specific personal details about who you know and where. They're not going to care that your aunt lives two states over.
Also, IDK what "gpa flexible" means, but it doesn't sound accurate. With 4 times as many law students gunning for a 1/4 of the legal jobs I'm pretty sure law firms don't have to be flexible on anything, especially GPA.

Anonymous User

Re: NJ Firms + Duane Morris NY

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:25 pm

OP here. GPA flexible is just a label that our symplicity has used for OCI. It just means that relative other firms, these firms are not as attentive to grades. Obviously they don't have to be flexible about anything, but they just simply don't stress grades as much and in turn, their hiring data reflects lower GPA averages for callbacks than, say, Sullivan Cromwell.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”