2013 Vault Rankings Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: 2013 Vault Rankings

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:This really isn't the place for metaphysical debates about what prestige is.
But how else will this thread reach 15+ pages?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This thread is dumb.

(1) Not quite sure why there is so much talk about Susman/Keker when discussing biglaw... Save those for the lit boutique discussions.

(2) Also the comment about W&C for white collar versus Susman for commercial lit is ill-informed. W&C does far, far more commercial lit than white collar (FYI - white collar virtually never comes close to trial). If you want big white collar investigations, look to Covington, Wilmer, etc.

(3) If you're going to get into a lit boutique discussion, it's way more complicated than the 1L's and 2L's posting here make it look. Off the top of my head, you should be discussing, inter alia: Kellogg Huber; Robbins Russell; Zuckerman Spaeder; MoloLamken; Morvillo; Keker; Bartlitt Beck; Yetter Coleman; etc.
#3 sounds like you're regurgitating the TLS group think: just because it's a boutique, it must be good. MoloLamken? Really? Are you just name dropping small firms at this point? This is absolutely comical. I have half a mind to say you probably don't know what half these firms specialize in, but you'll probably go to chambers and regurgitate that as if you knew it all along.
I'm curious what your personal "FP10" would be. Mirror Vault more or less? Toss in Williams & Connolly, etc.? (Actually curious.)

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I don't know. It'll probably be just as retarded as every other list in this thread. My only larger point is that prestige won't pay the bills.

And that name dropping and using "inter alia" in posts makes you look like a tool at best and a virgin at worst.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I don't know. It'll probably be just as retarded as every other list in this thread. My only larger point is that prestige won't pay the bills.

And that name dropping and using "inter alia" in posts makes you look like a tool at best and a virgin at worst.
I am literally mystified by people I know who took SA jobs at Cravath and are working until 10 pm, working regular weekends, etc. just as summers. I don't know what the Cravath name gets you but it can't be worth it.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm not going to go that far. If you're deciding between market paying firms in NYC, then go with Cravath or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I don't know. It'll probably be just as retarded as every other list in this thread. My only larger point is that prestige won't pay the bills.

This thread is shockingly bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:27 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I am literally mystified by people I know who took SA jobs at Cravath and are working until 10 pm, working regular weekends, etc. just as summers. I don't know what the Cravath name gets you but it can't be worth it.
I don't think anyone's going to question that the name of a law firm gets you something of value. The point is that trying to rank-order what that value is for firms at this level, without knowing the priorities of a prospective associate, isn't going to get you anywhere useful.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I don't think anyone's going to question that the name of a law firm gets you something of value. The point is that trying to rank-order what that value is for firms at this level, without knowing the priorities of a prospective associate, isn't going to get you anywhere useful.
Yes. I mean versus a DPW, for example. Maybe it's wide-eyed 2L naivete to think there's any difference in quality of life at any of these firms, but it certainly seems like there is a real distinction from the little I know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Wow, I forgot how convincing ad hominem attacks are...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTC87

New

Post by MTC87 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote: I am literally mystified by people I know who took SA jobs at Cravath and are working until 10 pm, working regular weekends, etc. just as summers. I don't know what the Cravath name gets you but it can't be worth it.
Yes. I mean versus a DPW, for example. Maybe it's wide-eyed 2L naivete to think there's any difference in quality of life at any of these firms, but it certainly seems like there is a real distinction from the little I know.
I haven't heard anything to suggest that quality of life as a junior associate is much better at one non-Wachtell v5 than another, but it's definitely true that Cravath is an outlier in putting their SAs through the wringer way harder than just about any other firm out there.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:21 am

rayiner wrote:

I'm not shocked.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 am

lol my prestige rankings were just for fun. You guys take yourselves too seriously. And btw, not all of us are law students or 0Ls.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am

rad lulz wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I'm not shocked.
+1

Honestly, aside from the rankings if your school gives access to the Vault content (the full firm profiles), it actually has pretty decent information. Similar to Chambers Associate though not as well organized or written.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:No point in arguing with magnificent. He's so stupid you're wondering whether he's trolling.

Vault rankings measure prestige and they're good at what they do. They don't measure firm health, they don't measure compensation, they don't measure which firms have the bests active groups.

Complaining that Vault rankings focus on NYC M&A is useless. If that's what people think is prestigious, then it is prestigious.

This really isn't the place for metaphysical debates about what prestige is.
no your the idiot for thinking that just because there are more associates in NY and they think NY firms are prestigious that it somehow makes them the most prestigious

go to YLS and ask them whats the most prestigious firm in the country.....I'll tell you this.....it won't be any of the NYC M&A firms

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Magnificent wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:No point in arguing with magnificent. He's so stupid you're wondering whether he's trolling.

Vault rankings measure prestige and they're good at what they do. They don't measure firm health, they don't measure compensation, they don't measure which firms have the bests active groups.

Complaining that Vault rankings focus on NYC M&A is useless. If that's what people think is prestigious, then it is prestigious.

no your the idiot for thinking that just because there are more associates in NY and they think NY firms are prestigious that it somehow makes them the most prestigious

go to YLS and ask them whats the most prestigious firm in the country.....I'll tell you this.....it won't be any of the NYC M&A firms
Arguing subjective impressions as if they are objective facts is kinda retarded, so, you're both right?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Magnificent wrote:

Like I said above: I really don't care for prestige.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Magnificent wrote:

heh... "your the idiot"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Magnificent wrote:

The "prestigious" people at YLS aren't going to firms...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

The only prestige that matters to me: My $200k-in-debt ass is going to be able to pay off my student loans with the MARKET SHATTERING BONUS and dat relatively-reasonable-COL that comes with being Kirkland-Chicago secure. 8)

The only rankings that matter are the models & bottle (AKA "glorious, glorious $0 net worth) rankings:

Wachtell #1
Boise #2
Bartlit (why is everyone leaving them out?)/Keker/Susman tied for #3
K&E-Chicago #4

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 pm

oops, double-posted.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Detrox wrote:
Magnificent wrote:

YLS loves Wachtell and Cravath. And even the ones gunning for scotus universally try to work for Wachtell/Cravath/W&C for a summer as a resume booster.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 pm

TheProsecutor wrote:
Detrox wrote:
YLS loves Wachtell and Cravath. And even the ones gunning for scotus universally try to work for Wachtell/Cravath/W&C for a summer as a resume booster.
Pretty sure S&C was the most popular firm this year among YLSers, actually, but yeah the point still stands. On the other hand, a lot of YLS people who go the firm route also seem to be splitting summers with highly selective public interest organizations and boutiques.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 pm

My point was less that no one at YLS goes to firms or that even the future SCOTUS clerks weren't going, it was that prestige of law firms is not exactly their concern. No potential SCOTUS clerk/AUSA/Prof candidate is going to have trouble in their career goals because they went to a V25 instead of Wachtell/W&C/lit boutique etc.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 pm

So when does Vault publicly release the specialty/geographic rankings? That stuff I find kind of interesting.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:44 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:So when does Vault publicly release the specialty/geographic rankings? That stuff I find kind of interesting.
Everything's out. You just need gold membership. Log in through OCS on the nyu site.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”