LA Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 pm

I have been searching this site for info on LA firms to no avail (at least not a thread about them). I know that's because most TLSers are focused on the T14 and hence T14 markets, but if anyone from UCLA/USC (or Boalt/Stanford) who has gone through OCI, works in LA, or just knows the LA market could offer some insight it would be super helpful - anything from which firms are stuck on certain criteria (grades/journal/etc) to reputation (practice area/firm culture/workload) to selectivity. Obviously some of this can be gleaned via NALP/Chambers/Vault research (which I have done at length), but I would really like to get a more anecdotal perspective.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: LA Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 am

Bump!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 am

I would love to know this too. I am at a T-14 and people are super east coast focused.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 am

Same here. Around top 25% at CCN, curious about what firms to target. I want to do transactional work, but I'm afraid that LA is mostly litigation. I have to balance my desire to be in LA with my desire to do compelling work. Interested in GDC, Latham, Skadden, OMM, S&C. I'm assuming MTO/Irell isn't going to happen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have been searching this site for info on LA firms to no avail (at least not a thread about them). I know that's because most TLSers are focused on the T14 and hence T14 markets, but if anyone from UCLA/USC (or Boalt/Stanford) who has gone through OCI, works in LA, or just knows the LA market could offer some insight it would be super helpful - anything from which firms are stuck on certain criteria (grades/journal/etc) to reputation (practice area/firm culture/workload) to selectivity. Obviously some of this can be gleaned via NALP/Chambers/Vault research (which I have done at length), but I would really like to get a more anecdotal perspective.

Thanks in advance!

As someone who's a current SA in the market and has had time to talk to lawyers about reputations, I'll try to help a little bit. Unfortunately I don't know about a lot of firms in the market, but I'll try to get this started.

"Stuck on Certain Criteria"
All of the top firms are grade selective to some extent. Munger is by far the most (dominated by people who have clerked / LR types, although not 100%), and Irell is pretty strict about grades too. Both basically require T14 + UCLA (and USC for Irell). Quinn & GDC are also pretty selective but are in the next rung down, then you get to O'Melveny, Latham, and others. I suppose Susman LA would be more selective than MTO, but it isn't worth your time to look up if you don't have a COA clerkship lined up.

"Reputation (Practice Area)"

Munger, Quinn, Irell - Almost all or all litigation. In Irell's case, almost all IP (but unlike IP boutiques, you don't need a science degree). QE does a fair amount of plaintiff's work.
GDC, O'Melveny, Latham - All have sizable corporate practices. O'Melveny has a sizable entertainment practice.

"Reputation (Firm Culture)"
Fratty: QE, GDC, Latham
Nerdy: MTO, Irell
Lays off 1st years en masse: Latham
Pays above market: QE, Irell

"Reputation (Workload)"
Work until exhaustion: QE, Irell
Work until near exhaustion: MTO, GDC, OMM, Latham

"Location"
Downtown: QE, MTO, GDC, Latham
Century City: Irell, OMM

Note: If you want to feel like you live in a city, live downtown (revitalizing fast). If you want to enjoy beaches, Beverly Hills, and cleaner air, work in Century City.

vegeta

Postby vegeta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 am

What does Latham LA specialize in?

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 am

Just curious. Do the major California firms allow splitting summers or is that just a Texas thing?

Viktor Vaughn

Postby Viktor Vaughn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Where do Shepard Mullin, Sidley, Jones Day, Paul Hastings, MoFo fit in, in terms of selectivity and reputation (L.A. / O.C. offices)? Will any of these firms hire to median at UCLA/USC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have been searching this site for info on LA firms to no avail (at least not a thread about them). I know that's because most TLSers are focused on the T14 and hence T14 markets, but if anyone from UCLA/USC (or Boalt/Stanford) who has gone through OCI, works in LA, or just knows the LA market could offer some insight it would be super helpful - anything from which firms are stuck on certain criteria (grades/journal/etc) to reputation (practice area/firm culture/workload) to selectivity. Obviously some of this can be gleaned via NALP/Chambers/Vault research (which I have done at length), but I would really like to get a more anecdotal perspective.

Thanks in advance!

As someone who's a current SA in the market and has had time to talk to lawyers about reputations, I'll try to help a little bit. Unfortunately I don't know about a lot of firms in the market, but I'll try to get this started.

"Stuck on Certain Criteria"
All of the top firms are grade selective to some extent. Munger is by far the most (dominated by people who have clerked / LR types, although not 100%), and Irell is pretty strict about grades too. Both basically require T14 + UCLA (and USC for Irell). Quinn & GDC are also pretty selective but are in the next rung down, then you get to O'Melveny, Latham, and others. I suppose Susman LA would be more selective than MTO, but it isn't worth your time to look up if you don't have a COA clerkship lined up.

"Reputation (Practice Area)"

Munger, Quinn, Irell - Almost all or all litigation. In Irell's case, almost all IP (but unlike IP boutiques, you don't need a science degree). QE does a fair amount of plaintiff's work.
GDC, O'Melveny, Latham - All have sizable corporate practices. O'Melveny has a sizable entertainment practice.

"Reputation (Firm Culture)"
Fratty: QE, GDC, Latham
Nerdy: MTO, Irell
Lays off 1st years en masse: Latham
Pays above market: QE, Irell

"Reputation (Workload)"
Work until exhaustion: QE, Irell
Work until near exhaustion: MTO, GDC, OMM, Latham

"Location"
Downtown: QE, MTO, GDC, Latham
Century City: Irell, OMM

Note: If you want to feel like you live in a city, live downtown (revitalizing fast). If you want to enjoy beaches, Beverly Hills, and cleaner air, work in Century City.

Original OP here: Thanks for your post! I am 3.7 at UCLA so I am hoping to have a decent shot with some of the bigger firms here (no interest in Irell, Quinn, or MTO; slightly more interest in OMM and Latham). Like the above poster I am curious about MoFo, Jones Day, Sidley, Paul Hastings, and Shepard Mullin (though I am only interested in LA offices). Also wondering if you know anything about Skadden, Bingham, Kirkland, Jenner & Block, Goodwin Procter, Orrick, or Akin Gump. Since LA is not HQ for most of these firms, any info re: LA office in particular is invaluable!

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Shameless Bump.

I would also like some more info into the LA market since it seems information is rather sparse.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Does anyone know if Barger & Wolen LLP pays market?

Return to “Legal Employment”