Quinn Emanuel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard from People Who Know that if you have grades for QE you don't want to work for QE. And it makes sense to me at least - no support staff and partners who're overly focused on the bottom line doesn't sound great.

I guess flip flops are nice.

the partners and leadership are surely focused on the bottom line, but at least its honest and transparent. and high profits lead to higher quality lateral partners: QE has been recruiting some awesome people over the last few years. better partners => better training and more high profile cases.

that said, the support staff thing is weird and the fringes/offices are kinda ghetto relative to other firms. if you want to "look the part" or be able to boss around a secretary it is a bad choice.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:23 am

better partners => better training

False.

No doubt Quinn's a great place for partners to go to. Question is whether Quinn's a great place for associates to go to.

Also, higher profits, while maybe leading to higher quality partners (not necessarily true), also lead to partners who are willing to come and go purely on the basis of money. As you've seen from the most recent law firm disaster (Dewey), that's not a good thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:39 am

How the hell are people getting screeners/cbs already for Quinn?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:09 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
better partners => better training

False.

Agreed; the better training comes from staffing cases lean, which gives juniors more responsibility than at other firms. Of course, it also means you are always working.

I've heard the problem with lit is that some juniors will do doc review until they get pushed out and have zero marketable skills or experience. At least at Quinn you know that won't be the case.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 am

At least at Quinn you know that won't be the case.

I've heard that happening at Quinn too...

Not going to put the firm down any further. It's a good firm, obviously. Just that a skyrocketing PPP doesn't mean much in itself. Cadwalader had a massively skyrocketing PPP too at one point.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

Not going to put the firm down any further. It's a good firm, obviously. Just that a skyrocketing PPP doesn't mean much in itself. Cadwalader had a massively skyrocketing PPP too at one point.

To be clear, you have heard of QE associates getting no substantive experience before being pushed out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:06 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

To be clear, you have heard of QE associates getting no substantive experience before being pushed out?

I know first hand of it happening at QE.

That said, it happens everywhere. At least everywhere when "everywhere" is defined as AmLaw 100.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Tyft. Can you share which office?

fish52

Postby fish52 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How the hell are people getting screeners/cbs already for Quinn?

This is for students at the schools where QE is using the new recruiting process (spring reception + early summer resume/transcript submission). QE is still doing OCI at other schools, where the process will be the same as at other firms (OCI-week screeners, call backs, etc.) If you are at a school that has the new recruiting process, you need to send in your materials as soon as possible. If you are at a school where QE is not using the new recruiting process, keep calm and carry on (aka, bid on them at OCI).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:18 pm

sundance95 wrote:Tyft. Can you share which office?

Personally, it's happened in LA (have heard through grapevine of it happening in SF and NYC).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I talked to the NY office last week and confirmed my call back for a few weeks away. Does anyone know anything about reimbursements for travel/hotel/etc? I know it's standard practice for firm call backs, but I was wondering if anyone who has sooner call backs knows anything or if the current summers can shed some light. I have no problem fronting the money....I'm just going to need it at some point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I talked to the NY office last week and confirmed my call back for a few weeks away. Does anyone know anything about reimbursements for travel/hotel/etc? I know it's standard practice for firm call backs, but I was wondering if anyone who has sooner call backs knows anything or if the current summers can shed some light. I have no problem fronting the money....I'm just going to need it at some point.

They should refer you to a travel agency for air/hotel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I talked to the NY office last week and confirmed my call back for a few weeks away. Does anyone know anything about reimbursements for travel/hotel/etc? I know it's standard practice for firm call backs, but I was wondering if anyone who has sooner call backs knows anything or if the current summers can shed some light. I have no problem fronting the money....I'm just going to need it at some point.

Question asker here. Thank you. I guess that's something they will mention when they have a second person email me with a confirmation. Still waiting on that. I guess I'll give them some more days before I ask. But thanks for the heads up.

Not trying to be greedy, but just planning ahead. Is there any kind of food per diem? Thanks so much for the answers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Lol did not ask about a per diem, but you should, just shows your one of the fucking alpha lit bros they're looking for

PS don't ask

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Question asker here. Thank you. I guess that's something they will mention when they have a second person email me with a confirmation. Still waiting on that. I guess I'll give them some more days before I ask. But thanks for the heads up.

Not trying to be greedy, but just planning ahead. Is there any kind of food per diem? Thanks so much for the answers.

My CB is in a different office, but they put me in touch with a travel agent and directly billed the hotel, taxi, and flight. "Reasonable expenses" for meals are reimbursed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My CB is in a different office, but they put me in touch with a travel agent and directly billed the hotel, taxi, and flight. "Reasonable expenses" for meals are reimbursed.

Awesome. Thank you so much. Makes it easier to plan ahead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Make sure to submit bar receipts from appropriately radical lower east side bars during your visit. "Slaying it" at L.E.S. bars is practically a prereq for being an alpha-as-hell Q.E. work-hard-play-hard lit bro. Bonus points for asking your interviewer if he has change for $100 bill for the vending machine.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

would have been funnier if not anon

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

if any QE LA people are willing to pm me, i'd appreciate it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Has anyone been rejected yet? I've seen that callbacks tend to come relatively soon after application and I've now been waiting more than two weeks. No hope?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been rejected yet? I've seen that callbacks tend to come relatively soon after application and I've now been waiting more than two weeks. No hope?

My callback took nearly two business weeks. I think some offices are slower than others--ie, ITT, the NY office seems to invite applicants for callbacks pretty quickly, while the CA offices are a little slower. I wouldn't lose hope just yet, although I would think the invitation would come before 3 weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 am

Any word out of the DC office? o_O

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word out of the DC office? o_O

Haven't heard a peep. I submitted about three weeks ago. Top 1% at a T14 (non T6).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 am

A year old interview with William Urquhart says they only hire the top 10% of a class (unless it's Harvard or Yale) O_O

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... iring.html

Return to “Legal Employment”