Quinn Emanuel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok now this is just getting silly. Anon makes completely unverified claim about associates being let go and then we find one article out of a whole directory dealing with layoffs from back in 2009 across all firms.

Listen, I'm all for looking critically at a firm but this is getting ridiculous.

Yeah, like there are firms with serious financial problems, whose work is slowing down and are giving clients huge discounts to keep business, some of which are getting positive comments on TLS -- and yet it's Quinn gets a thread full of flack.

Look, there are some pretty shitty things about Quinn. But there are some really good things too. A lot of the shitty vs. good is a personality issue, like whether you care what the offices look like or the importance of formal training. When someone has a Quinn offer, there are no right and wrong answers, just a question of fit in different environments.

Also, it's important to note that a lot of the most polarizing opinions are about Quinn NYC, which really is an outlier in the New York market. In California, Quinn is much more similar to other big CA firms.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 am

Just because it isn't reported on ATL, doesn't mean it's not happening. This is the case because it's particularly difficult to distinguish between layoffs due to economic reasons and layoffs in the ordinary course.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 am

Any news from SV office? Friend from UT wants to know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from SV office? Friend from UT wants to know.

Offers have gone out from SV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:

do you know how long after the callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i think i know who you are, and you're not getting an offer dude.... i'm really sorry. i'm also dead serious. start looking elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i think i know who you are, and you're not getting an offer dude.... i'm really sorry. i'm also dead serious. start looking elsewhere.

pm what i did incorrectly please for future CBs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

don't send uncomfortably weird thank-you emails, try to be more conversational, be way more positive, don't bring up stuff from the anti-quinn schtick you read on TLS because it's just that... schtick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 am

Rude

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 am

In the hallway at OCI, I overheard Quinn associates making fun of students for the silly things they had said throughout the day. The things people said weren't THAT bad, and I thought this was incredibly mean-spritited and also unprofessional- at least wait til you're back at the office!

Given how hard it can be to choose between firms and the rep Quinn already has, that was enough to turn me away, for better or worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 pm

From this thread, somewhat confused on the timing for Quinn offers post-CB. Seems like 24 hours for New York, but does that hold for non-NY offices as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From this thread, somewhat confused on the timing for Quinn offers post-CB. Seems like 24 hours for New York, but does that hold for non-NY offices as well?

4 days (including weekend) for CA office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From this thread, somewhat confused on the timing for Quinn offers post-CB. Seems like 24 hours for New York, but does that hold for non-NY offices as well?

I got mine same day at a CA office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

+2

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 pm

People who got offers, did you ever get your formal offer letter? Standard 28 day acceptance window right?

Partner called me to extend the offer and then associate followed up congratulating me but I never got the formal letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People who got offers, did you ever get your formal offer letter? Standard 28 day acceptance window right?

Partner called me to extend the offer and then associate followed up congratulating me but I never got the formal letter.

I am a former SA from this last summer. I don't recall them sending out offer letters at any point in time -- just the phone calls. If you accept, at some point they will send a letter confirming your acceptance (though I think they wait until the class is finally settled before sending all of these out -- it didn't come very soon after accepting)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People who got offers, did you ever get your formal offer letter? Standard 28 day acceptance window right?

I got a formal offer letter after lunch on the day I interviewed. Says nothing about the acceptance window, but the recruiter told me they follow NALP guidelines, so I presume that means yes.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

don't send uncomfortably weird thank-you emails, try to be more conversational, be way more positive, don't bring up stuff from the anti-quinn schtick you read on TLS because it's just that... schtick.

This could only happen in a thread about Quinn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 am

I've heard that Quinn's leverage is high compared to most big firms. How much of a concern should this be? And what would the realistic effects of the leverage be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 am

WHY do people talk trash about Quinn so much? I love them and keep trying to accept my offer, but when I try to pick up the phone, everyone and their friend who once ate something bad at shake shack keep chiming in with abysmal horror stories.

All the bad stuff is second-hand, and I've met at least one former associate who had nothing but good things to say (and was able to flippantly recast the negative rumors as trivial humorous anecdotes).

Is this really the same phenomenon as the "Cravath as evil empire" mythology contrived to console the masses who can't face the reality that we simply can't all be one of them?

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:WHY do people talk trash about Quinn so much? I love them and keep trying to accept my offer, but when I try to pick up the phone, everyone and their friend who once ate something bad at shake shack keep chiming in with abysmal horror stories.

All the bad stuff is second-hand, and I've met at least one former associate who had nothing but good things to say (and was able to flippantly recast the negative rumors as trivial humorous anecdotes).

Is this really the same phenomenon as the "Cravath as evil empire" mythology contrived to console the masses who can't face the reality that we simply can't all be one of them?

The main difference is that half my class isn't turning down Cravath offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:WHY do people talk trash about Quinn so much? I love them and keep trying to accept my offer, but when I try to pick up the phone, everyone and their friend who once ate something bad at shake shack keep chiming in with abysmal horror stories.

One such horror story unfolded above, where an associate rudely and insensitively informed a poster he had been rejected. It's happening before your very eyes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 am

If you know you want to do litigation and you liked the people there, there are strong reasons to take the offer. QE also has strong financials, so at least they wont be going bankrupt or laying off associates (and they haven't); i think its a safer bet than most firms.
Not to mention, they pay significantly more bonus than the majority of big firms.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 am

QE is like Gangnam Style. It's not for everybody. Some people really dig it. Some think it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

If you like QE, go there.

Are you so insecure in your abilities and own judgment that you not only have to seek confirmation, but affirmation, from a bunch of anons on TLS?

Return to “Legal Employment”