Quinn Emanuel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone interview at NYC office this week and hear back?

Bump


Yes. Interview Wed., offer Thurs.

Congrats. You go to a T14?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 am

QE SA here from this summer hoping to help.

Anonymous User wrote:Offer rate at Quinn looks very low; why??

<--CB Los Angeles coming up..


I assume you mean the CB --> offer ratio? SA --> Offer was 100% this year, last year, and the year before. Not sure about before that. As to CB --> offer, I know they've given out a good # of offers at my school and I've heard the summer class will be similarly sized so not sure - maybe this thread just makes it seem that way.

Anonymous User wrote:How is the state of the firm? Is it economically healthy?


Softball questions. Vibrant. Yes. Each of last few years has been a record year; on pace for another one. QE's economic health is stellar, and this was one of their selling points for me.

anon wrote:Thanks for that information. Its a really tough call because I (personally) find things I like about Quinn but this "Sweatshop/insane asylum" rhetoric freaks me out.


This was the tougher factor for me last year. It came down to this: I liked the people at Quinn a lot more and knew I'd regret working with another, more boring (in my eyes) firm. I had a great summer and my initial instincts weren't wrong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:28 am

anon wrote:Thanks for that information. Its a really tough call because I (personally) find things I like about Quinn but this "Sweatshop/insane asylum" rhetoric freaks me out.


This was the tougher factor for me last year. It came down to this: I liked the people at Quinn a lot more and knew I'd regret working with another, more boring (in my eyes) firm. I had a great summer and my initial instincts weren't wrong.


Thanks for chiming in. I totally agree with your assessment of the firms health, everyone I met there seemed extremely well off in terms of work load. I too feel like I might regret passing on Quinn for one of the less-flashy offers I've received. Did you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility/level of work being given to you? I know a lot of the associates I talked to said it was great how much responsibility they give young associates but I'm also worried about getting in over my head.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone interview at NYC office this week and hear back?

Bump


Yes. Interview Wed., offer Thurs.

Congrats. You go to a T14?


T6

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for chiming in. I totally agree with your assessment of the firms health, everyone I met there seemed extremely well off in terms of work load. I too feel like I might regret passing on Quinn for one of the less-flashy offers I've received. Did you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility/level of work being given to you? I know a lot of the associates I talked to said it was great how much responsibility they give young associates but I'm also worried about getting in over my head.


Definitely not as a summer, although I actually got to work on some cool stuff. That isn't generally a concern of mine, though - I'm always looking for more responsibility! The junior associates I worked with all seemed to have cool stuff to do, although some had more unique assignments than others. I wouldn't worry too much about getting confused - we're very smart and when our feet get put to the fire great ideas often come out :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for chiming in. I totally agree with your assessment of the firms health, everyone I met there seemed extremely well off in terms of work load. I too feel like I might regret passing on Quinn for one of the less-flashy offers I've received. Did you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility/level of work being given to you? I know a lot of the associates I talked to said it was great how much responsibility they give young associates but I'm also worried about getting in over my head.


Definitely not as a summer, although I actually got to work on some cool stuff. That isn't generally a concern of mine, though - I'm always looking for more responsibility! The junior associates I worked with all seemed to have cool stuff to do, although some had more unique assignments than others. I wouldn't worry too much about getting confused - we're very smart and when our feet get put to the fire great ideas often come out :)

Do you mind sharing which office? I'm curious as to the culture differences amongst the various offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for chiming in. I totally agree with your assessment of the firms health, everyone I met there seemed extremely well off in terms of work load. I too feel like I might regret passing on Quinn for one of the less-flashy offers I've received. Did you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility/level of work being given to you? I know a lot of the associates I talked to said it was great how much responsibility they give young associates but I'm also worried about getting in over my head.


Definitely not as a summer, although I actually got to work on some cool stuff. That isn't generally a concern of mine, though - I'm always looking for more responsibility! The junior associates I worked with all seemed to have cool stuff to do, although some had more unique assignments than others. I wouldn't worry too much about getting confused - we're very smart and when our feet get put to the fire great ideas often come out :)

Do you mind sharing which office? I'm curious as to the culture differences amongst the various offices.


Unfortunately I do mind :) I doubt they'd mind me singing their praises on here, but I'd rather not be known as the SA who gossips about the firm on the Internet. I kind of got a feeling for the culture differences across the offices during the firm hike, though, what is your question? Part of it has to do with the practice areas: New York has people who know about finance, San Francisco/Silicon Valley technology people, LA entertainment, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for chiming in. I totally agree with your assessment of the firms health, everyone I met there seemed extremely well off in terms of work load. I too feel like I might regret passing on Quinn for one of the less-flashy offers I've received. Did you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility/level of work being given to you? I know a lot of the associates I talked to said it was great how much responsibility they give young associates but I'm also worried about getting in over my head.


Definitely not as a summer, although I actually got to work on some cool stuff. That isn't generally a concern of mine, though - I'm always looking for more responsibility! The junior associates I worked with all seemed to have cool stuff to do, although some had more unique assignments than others. I wouldn't worry too much about getting confused - we're very smart and when our feet get put to the fire great ideas often come out :)


Well you're definitely making my decision that much harder haha. I've got some serious soul searching to do in the next week or two about if I want to accept the Quinn offer. Very tempting for sure. Thanks for all the info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm sitting on a very tempting Quinn offer, but I've got to say that the partner/associate ratio is looking bleak and the rate at which it is brining in lateral partners is giving me serious pause. I don't see how it's a sustainable model. Wish I had a time machine and could just accept an offer from Quinn 10 years ago. . .

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sitting on a very tempting Quinn offer, but I've got to say that the partner/associate ratio is looking bleak and the rate at which it is brining in lateral partners is giving me serious pause. I don't see how it's a sustainable model. Wish I had a time machine and could just accept an offer from Quinn 10 years ago. . .


Same situation but consider the fact that they're growing a lot and feel the need to bring in lateral partners to A) get more business and B) move into new markets. I talked to some people from the DC office and they made that rationale perfectly clear.

If anything, I'd be more concerned about the fact that for as much money as the firm is making, it seems to be very concentrated in the hands of the partners.

My point is, Quinn seems to be the last firm that I'd ever consider financially unsustainable. Everyone I talked to expressed a serious commitment to keeping the firm financially healthy.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Lateral partners are a double edged sword. On the one hand, they supposedly bring in business (supposedly because that's not always the case; think about dewey); on the other hand, the only glue that binds them is money. Not the best way to keep partnership together.

Why do news outlets always make a big fuss over partners leaving Cravath or DPW? Because those partnerships are held together by a whole lot more.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sitting on a very tempting Quinn offer, but I've got to say that the partner/associate ratio is looking bleak and the rate at which it is brining in lateral partners is giving me serious pause. I don't see how it's a sustainable model. Wish I had a time machine and could just accept an offer from Quinn 10 years ago. . .


Same situation but consider the fact that they're growing a lot and feel the need to bring in lateral partners to A) get more business and B) move into new markets. I talked to some people from the DC office and they made that rationale perfectly clear.

If anything, I'd be more concerned about the fact that for as much money as the firm is making, it seems to be very concentrated in the hands of the partners.

My point is, Quinn seems to be the last firm that I'd ever consider financially unsustainable. Everyone I talked to expressed a serious commitment to keeping the firm financially healthy.


What did you expect them to say? That they are seriously committed to keeping the firm financially unstable?

Look, everyone knows that QE is essentially a band of mercenaries. A very talented band of mercenaries, but mercenaries nonetheless.

Whether that business model works in the long run, no one really knows because no firm has grown so fast, so quickly and so successfully as QE has in just the past 5 years alone. And it's not just size, but overall revenues.

Whether QE goes supernova in the next 5 years remains to be seen. But for now you've got to give John Quinn and his cohorts for have the business acumen and chutzpah for doing this way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:31 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sitting on a very tempting Quinn offer, but I've got to say that the partner/associate ratio is looking bleak and the rate at which it is brining in lateral partners is giving me serious pause. I don't see how it's a sustainable model. Wish I had a time machine and could just accept an offer from Quinn 10 years ago. . .


Same situation but consider the fact that they're growing a lot and feel the need to bring in lateral partners to A) get more business and B) move into new markets. I talked to some people from the DC office and they made that rationale perfectly clear.

If anything, I'd be more concerned about the fact that for as much money as the firm is making, it seems to be very concentrated in the hands of the partners.

My point is, Quinn seems to be the last firm that I'd ever consider financially unsustainable. Everyone I talked to expressed a serious commitment to keeping the firm financially healthy.


What did you expect them to say? That they are seriously committed to keeping the firm financially unstable?

Look, everyone knows that QE is essentially a band of mercenaries. A very talented band of mercenaries, but mercenaries nonetheless.

Whether that business model works in the long run, no one really knows because no firm has grown so fast, so quickly and so successfully as QE has in just the past 5 years alone. And it's not just size, but overall revenues.

Whether QE goes supernova in the next 5 years remains to be seen. But for now you've got to give John Quinn and his cohorts for have the business acumen and chutzpah for doing this way.



I knew I was going to get called out on that haha. Your point is a fair one, every firm I've interviewed with has touted their financial health. However, I think QE has done the most of actually showing a commitment to keeping costs down and revenues up.

Your points are well taken though.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm sitting on a very tempting Quinn offer, but I've got to say that the partner/associate ratio is looking bleak and the rate at which it is brining in lateral partners is giving me serious pause. I don't see how it's a sustainable model. Wish I had a time machine and could just accept an offer from Quinn 10 years ago. . .


Same situation but consider the fact that they're growing a lot and feel the need to bring in lateral partners to A) get more business and B) move into new markets. I talked to some people from the DC office and they made that rationale perfectly clear.

If anything, I'd be more concerned about the fact that for as much money as the firm is making, it seems to be very concentrated in the hands of the partners.

My point is, Quinn seems to be the last firm that I'd ever consider financially unsustainable. Everyone I talked to expressed a serious commitment to keeping the firm financially healthy.


What did you expect them to say? That they are seriously committed to keeping the firm financially unstable?

Look, everyone knows that QE is essentially a band of mercenaries. A very talented band of mercenaries, but mercenaries nonetheless.

Whether that business model works in the long run, no one really knows because no firm has grown so fast, so quickly and so successfully as QE has in just the past 5 years alone. And it's not just size, but overall revenues.

Whether QE goes supernova in the next 5 years remains to be seen. But for now you've got to give John Quinn and his cohorts for have the business acumen and chutzpah for doing this way.



I knew I was going to get called out on that haha. Your point is a fair one, every firm I've interviewed with has touted their financial health. [i]However, I think QE has done the most of actually showing a commitment to keeping costs down and revenues up.[i]

Your points are well taken though.


And you know this, how?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:51 pm

I knew I was going to get called out on that haha. Your point is a fair one, every firm I've interviewed with has touted their financial health. However, I think QE has done the most of actually showing a commitment to keeping costs down and revenues up.


And do you know how they keep expenses down? Some cost-savings are downright ridiculous, like lit support (or lack of it) and an $18 seamless dinner budget.

Expenses are kept down to benefit the partnership, not you.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
I knew I was going to get called out on that haha. Your point is a fair one, every firm I've interviewed with has touted their financial health. However, I think QE has done the most of actually showing a commitment to keeping costs down and revenues up.


And do you know how they keep expenses down? Some cost-savings are downright ridiculous, like lit support (or lack of it) and an $18 seamless dinner budget.

Expenses are kept down to benefit the partnership, not you.


Best way to keep expenses down is to get rid associates. They're the biggest costs for firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:28 pm

anon168 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
I knew I was going to get called out on that haha. Your point is a fair one, every firm I've interviewed with has touted their financial health. However, I think QE has done the most of actually showing a commitment to keeping costs down and revenues up.


And do you know how they keep expenses down? Some cost-savings are downright ridiculous, like lit support (or lack of it) and an $18 seamless dinner budget.

Expenses are kept down to benefit the partnership, not you.


Best way to keep expenses down is to get rid associates. They're the biggest costs for firms.


Does QE have any track record of dumping associates when times got tough?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:And do you know how they keep expenses down? Some cost-savings are downright ridiculous, like lit support (or lack of it) and an $18 seamless dinner budget.

Expenses are kept down to benefit the partnership, not you.


As someone who considered Quinn, this (among other things) turned me off. They cut a bunch of corners to keep costs down (food, digs, support, etc). If they did that to keep the firm alive or save associate jerbs I would respect them for it, but it is essentially to help line the partnership's pockets. As an associate you share in the pain and yet get none of the benefit, and probably will never get any benefit since partnership prospects are just as slim as they are at other biglaw firms.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
I knew I was going to get called out on that haha. Your point is a fair one, every firm I've interviewed with has touted their financial health. However, I think QE has done the most of actually showing a commitment to keeping costs down and revenues up.


And do you know how they keep expenses down? Some cost-savings are downright ridiculous, like lit support (or lack of it) and an $18 seamless dinner budget.

Expenses are kept down to benefit the partnership, not you.


Best way to keep expenses down is to get rid associates. They're the biggest costs for firms.


Does QE have any track record of dumping associates when times got tough?


No, because times have yet to be "tough" for QE. But they still have dumped associates at various offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:43 pm

No, because times have yet to be "tough" for QE. But they still have dumped associates at various offices.

source?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No, because times have yet to be "tough" for QE. But they still have dumped associates at various offices.

source?


From the people who did the dumping.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, because times have yet to be "tough" for QE. But they still have dumped associates at various offices.

source?


From the people who did the dumping.

From what office?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, because times have yet to be "tough" for QE. But they still have dumped associates at various offices.

source?


From the people who did the dumping.

From what office?


Sorry. Not going there. For obvious reasons.

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:source?


From the people who did the dumping.

From what office?


Sorry. Not going there. For obvious reasons.


Could you give us an idea as to number? When I looked for Quinn layoffs, I only found 2 articles, one explicitly saying no associates had been let go, the other saying a "handful of people" were let go, but with no indicator whether those were staffers or associates. The articles are both from here:
http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArticl ... AYOFF_LIST

It makes a big difference if there were 6 associates laid off vs. 1 associate and 5 staffers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 am

Ok now this is just getting silly. Anon makes completely unverified claim about associates being let go and then we find one article out of a whole directory dealing with layoffs from back in 2009 across all firms.

Listen, I'm all for looking critically at a firm but this is getting ridiculous.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.