Quinn Emanuel? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:WHY do people talk trash about Quinn so much? I love them and keep trying to accept my offer, but when I try to pick up the phone, everyone and their friend who once ate something bad at shake shack keep chiming in with abysmal horror stories.

All the bad stuff is second-hand, and I've met at least one former associate who had nothing but good things to say (and was able to flippantly recast the negative rumors as trivial humorous anecdotes).

Is this really the same phenomenon as the "Cravath as evil empire" mythology contrived to console the masses who can't face the reality that we simply can't all be one of them?
One such horror story unfolded above, where an associate rudely and insensitively informed a poster he had been rejected. It's happening before your very eyes.
Alright then y'all have a nice time at Davis Polk while I go hiking.

Seriously, that was a real example? Isn't the real horror story everyone you know letting you walk through life acting like retard when someone in that position could easily save you years worth of unsuccessful job interviews etc. by getting over their fear of not being "nice" and throwing you a bone so you can make a better-informed effort next time around? Thanks for the illuminating reply. I 100% get it now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 am

I had an OCI screener for Quinn DC in August. By now, I've gotten CBs/rejections for all OCI screener interviews... except I've heard no word from Quinn. Entirely give up hope or might there be some sort of waitlist system? I'd love to work at this firm, so I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:WHY do people talk trash about Quinn so much? I love them and keep trying to accept my offer, but when I try to pick up the phone, everyone and their friend who once ate something bad at shake shack keep chiming in with abysmal horror stories.

All the bad stuff is second-hand, and I've met at least one former associate who had nothing but good things to say (and was able to flippantly recast the negative rumors as trivial humorous anecdotes).

Is this really the same phenomenon as the "Cravath as evil empire" mythology contrived to console the masses who can't face the reality that we simply can't all be one of them?
One such horror story unfolded above, where an associate rudely and insensitively informed a poster he had been rejected. It's happening before your very eyes.

Seriously, that was a real example? Isn't the real horror story everyone you know letting you walk through life acting like retard when someone in that position could easily save you years worth of unsuccessful job interviews etc. by getting over their fear of not being "nice" and throwing you a bone so you can make a better-informed effort next time around? Thanks for the illuminating reply. I 100% get it now.
If you are so insecure about this decision that you can be dissuaded by rumors that you yourself seem to think are worthless, then I actually wonder if you have the right personality to be happy at a place like Quinn.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Whoosh

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

pm what i did incorrectly please for future CBs
don't send uncomfortably weird thank-you emails, try to be more conversational, be way more positive, don't bring up stuff from the anti-quinn schtick you read on TLS because it's just that... schtick.
Is this for real?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:28 pm

hey guys -

SA from this past summer checking in. I love how these QE threads always seem to get exciting/weird/funny. I want to remind anyone who's considering a Quinn offer (or any other offer) that all you're doing is considering a summer of legal employment with a law firm; no more, no less. TLS can make you CRAZY in making these decisions (like the guys saying, "if you're here asking questions, I'm not sure you're right for Quinn!" - what does that even mean?), but eventually all you have to fall back on is your instincts. I'd stress trying to find 1. a firm with strong practice groups in areas you're interested in and 2. a firm with people you think you could get along with and work long hours with. Law firms are generally full of a bunch of weirdos, but we as law students tend to be weirdos, too; try to find the right kind of weirdo for you and don't look back.

I think it's more important to think about the exact office (and even better, practice group) in which you'll be working. Yes, firm reputation and culture matters - you should have pride about your firm - but think about the day-to-day. Happy to answer questions if people have them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey guys -

SA from this past summer checking in. I love how these QE threads always seem to get exciting/weird/funny. I want to remind anyone who's considering a Quinn offer (or any other offer) that all you're doing is considering a summer of legal employment with a law firm; no more, no less. TLS can make you CRAZY in making these decisions (like the guys saying, "if you're here asking questions, I'm not sure you're right for Quinn!" - what does that even mean?), but eventually all you have to fall back on is your instincts. I'd stress trying to find 1. a firm with strong practice groups in areas you're interested in and 2. a firm with people you think you could get along with and work long hours with. Law firms are generally full of a bunch of weirdos, but we as law students tend to be weirdos, too; try to find the right kind of weirdo for you and don't look back.

I think it's more important to think about the exact office (and even better, practice group) in which you'll be working. Yes, firm reputation and culture matters - you should have pride about your firm - but think about the day-to-day. Happy to answer questions if people have them.

Thanks for taking questions. To the extent you've had interactions with multiple QE offices, can you comment on the differences between offices in terms of culture/personality?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for taking questions. To the extent you've had interactions with multiple QE offices, can you comment on the differences between offices in terms of culture/personality?
As I was saying, I really think it's up to you to decide what you like and don't like. My view of people is different from yours. I think the offices are influenced by their surrounding culture - the NYC office is full of New Yorkers, the LA office has LA people, the NorCal offices have NorCal people, and so on. Some of the patent people seem to be more sciency or have advanced degrees in the sciences, whereas the white collar people have more government ties and the finance people business ties. I guess this is nothing new, but I'm not sure what else I can say without saying more than I want to. All of the offices seem to have a lot of young people, and the older people tend to be quite tolerant of the younger ones: the firm has a youthful culture. If you read that John Quinn interview a while back ("The Mighty Quinn," I think it was called) he says something like, "O'Melveny is dead. Latham is dead," implying these firms have traditionalist mindsets - they're NAMED after dead people. Quinn isn't named after any dead people; it's quite alive, vibrant, and dynamic. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As I was saying, I really think it's up to you to decide what you like and don't like. My view of people is different from yours. I think the offices are influenced by their surrounding culture - the NYC office is full of New Yorkers, the LA office has LA people, the NorCal offices have NorCal people, and so on. Some of the patent people seem to be more sciency or have advanced degrees in the sciences, whereas the white collar people have more government ties and the finance people business ties. I guess this is nothing new, but I'm not sure what else I can say without saying more than I want to. All of the offices seem to have a lot of young people, and the older people tend to be quite tolerant of the younger ones: the firm has a youthful culture. If you read that John Quinn interview a while back ("The Mighty Quinn," I think it was called) he says something like, "O'Melveny is dead. Latham is dead," implying these firms have traditionalist mindsets - they're NAMED after dead people. Quinn isn't named after any dead people; it's quite alive, vibrant, and dynamic. HTH.
another former SA here. i would say that based on rumors/chatting with associates:

LA: hard partying culture
SF: chill mixed with nerdy
SV: nerdy
NY: lots of billables/working hard, even by quinn standards
DC/Chicago: too new to tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:58 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you are so insecure about this decision that you can be dissuaded by rumors that you yourself seem to think are worthless, then I actually wonder if you have the right personality to be happy at a place like Quinn.
If you don't get it when someone paraphrases "due diligence," query whether you have the right personality to be in litigation instead of corporate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”