What to wear?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to wear?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

I am starting my first day at a mid-size law firm in Chicago in the beginning of July. And I am having a difficult time figuring out what I should wear for the first day. I had two interviews before being hired, and it seemed like the firm was business casual. The woman wore dresses and men wore button up shirts. Of course, during my interviews I wore a skirt suit.

They have hired two new associates, including me - both of us are women. Should I wear a suit (most likely a pantsuit) the first day just as a formality and then tone it down the next day, like wearing a dress? I would just feel odd if the other hire didn't dress as formally, or vice versa.

Odd question, but had to ask. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: What to wear?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am starting my first day at a mid-size law firm in Chicago in the beginning of July. And I am having a difficult time figuring out what I should wear for the first day. I had two interviews before being hired, and it seemed like the firm was business casual. The woman wore dresses and men wore button up shirts. Of course, during my interviews I wore a skirt suit.

They have hired two new associates, including me - both of us are women. Should I wear a suit (most likely a pants suit) the first day just as a formality and then tone it down the next day, like wearing a dress? I would just feel odd if the other hire didn't dress as formally, or vice versa.

Odd question, but had to ask. Thanks!

Always dress up, then dress down. It is professional.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Agree - suit on the first day. Then dress how everyone else dresses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm a dude so idk what I'm really talking about but from what I've been reading pantsuit is considered masculine to a degree so skirtsuit would be better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a dude so idk what I'm really talking about but from what I've been reading pantsuit is considered masculine to a degree so skirtsuit would be better.

Op here. That's what I was thinking, but it's a female-dominated firm, so I didn't think it would be an issue. Something to consider.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 am

Wear a skirt suit in a solid, conservative color the first day. You can always take your jacket off. See what others are wearing in the office but always dress more conservatively. Just because the women partners are sporting Dolce and Louboutins, doesn't mean you can. You haven't earned your stripes yet. Personally, if you wear dresses, I would recommend always having a jacket with you. You don't want to be mistaken for a legal assistant or a secretary, so skip the cardigans.

Return to “Legal Employment”