legal job market. big law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lynndx101

legal job market. big law

Postby lynndx101 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:10 pm

How is the job market for somone who went to a top 30 law school and in the middle of their class? What are the chances of getting into a NLJ 250 law firm There has been alot of contriversy over how the legal market is. How bad is it? Thanks

Ruxin1

Re: legal job market. big law

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:12 pm

lynndx101 wrote:How is the job market for somone who went to a top 30 law school and in the middle of their class? What are the chances of getting into a NLJ 250 law firm There has been alot of contriversy over how the legal market is. How bad is it? Thanks

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=aba+employment+2012

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:15 pm

lynndx101 wrote:How is the job market for somone who went to a top 30 law school and in the middle of their class? What are the chances of getting into a NLJ 250 law firm

Bad.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:
lynndx101 wrote:How is the job market for somone who went to a top 30 law school and in the middle of their class? What are the chances of getting into a NLJ 250 law firm

Bad.

This. Assuming that there is nothing special about you (well, extra special I guess), you are not getting an NLJ 250 firm with median grades from a school outside the T18 (in the T15-18 range, chances are relatively slim with median grades).

lynndx101

Postby lynndx101 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:33 pm

How about being in the top 50% of the class in schools like cornell and fordham

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:36 pm

lynndx101 wrote:How about being in the top 50% of the class in schools like cornell and fordham

lol

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Not good. With a solid connection it could be done, though.

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm

IAFG wrote:
lynndx101 wrote:How about being in the top 50% of the class in schools like cornell and fordham

lol

Be nice. OP, the market is really, really bad (still). Are you a 0L or 1L?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

These are the schools where a median student has a decent shot at a six-figure job at a large firm: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, U Chicago, U Penn, UVA, U Michigan, Berkeley, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell. Possibly Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Texas, USC and UCLA, though a lot more people at these schools will find themselves unemployed than people at schools in the previous group.

These are the schools where a top third student has a decent shot at such a job: Fordham, Boston University, Boston College, George Washington.

At schools like Wash U, Illinois, Minnesota, etc, you need to be top 1/4.

Outside these schools, you need to be anywhere from top 10% to top 10 people (and at the very bottom, places like Cooley even being in the top 10 people won't be enough).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:55 pm

rayiner wrote:

These are the schools where a median student has a decent shot at a six-figure job at a large firm: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, U Chicago, U Penn, UVA, U Michigan, Berkeley, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell. Possibly Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Texas, USC and UCLA, though a lot more people at these schools will find themselves unemployed than people at schools in the previous group.

These are the schools where a top third student has a decent shot at such a job: Fordham, Boston University, Boston College, George Washington.

Outside these schools, you need to be anywhere from top 10% to top 10 people (and at the very bottom, places like Cooley even being in the top 10 people won't be enough).

I'd take Texas, Vanderbilt, and USC off that list. The shot is definitely less than decent (speaking from experience and first hand knowledge), but still existent.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Egregious Cornell trolling. Love it.

Pretty sure it's Waterman.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:32 pm

rayiner wrote:

This is credited.

Rayiner evenhanded wisdom is like the soothing tones of Garrison Keillor.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I'd take Texas, Vanderbilt, and USC off that list. The shot is definitely less than decent (speaking from experience and first hand knowledge), but still existent.

usc was 12th in placement for nlj 250 firms in 2011 (about a third of their class). not great, but certainly strong relatively speaking.

lynndx101

Postby lynndx101 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 am

Thank you for your replys. I am actually a high school jr that lives on long island
I domt buy into the law school b.s. hofstra told me that if i was in the the top 50% of their class i would have a shot at biglaw. Hofstra is at the bottom of the top 100 law law schools and the tuition is around what columbia charges..

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:28 am

I mean, I know who graduated from Hofstra. Don't know where he placed in his class, but he was hired at his dad's firm and is doing pretty well for himself. That's probably what career services meant when they said the top 50% had a shot at biglaw.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 am

cinephile wrote:I mean, I know who graduated from Hofstra. Don't know where he placed in his class, but he was hired at his dad's firm and is doing pretty well for himself. That's probably what career services meant when they said the top 50% had a shot at biglaw.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 am

Yeah, that was my point.

Return to “Legal Employment”