3L OCI vs. Post Grad Applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L OCI vs. Post Grad Applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Posted earlier but title and substance too convoluted to get the answer I was looking for.

Situation: Had about the same grades and rank during 3L OCI and did not get an interview at the mid to big firms even after mass mailing. 2L's that went through OCI w/ my grades did very well. Sent a few out this winter/early Spring and batted .000

Graduated w/ honors from UW-Seattle top 10-15%. Applying to PNW firms.

So, the question is whether things are different now b/c I have graduated and b/c it is summer or if it is the same situation as 3L OCI where when you miss the 2L OCI boat it is small firm or nothing. Thanks.

rad lulz

Re: 3L OCI vs. Post Grad Applications

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Generally 3L OCI is looking at people who got offers from their 2L firms. Not a lot of larger firms really hire 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:Generally 3L OCI is looking at people who got offers from their 2L firms. Not a lot of larger firms really hire 3Ls.

Thanks. I get that but do you know if there is a difference b/w 3L's and post-grads when it comes to hiring at mid to large firms?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:03 pm

It is not the big hiring season, but it has been done. I have a few friends who landed v10 positions after graduation.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Generally 3L OCI is looking at people who got offers from their 2L firms. Not a lot of larger firms really hire 3Ls.

Thanks. I get that but do you know if there is a difference b/w 3L's and post-grads when it comes to hiring at mid to large firms?

It's hard to say because there is almost none of it. 3L OCI or post grad. Tends to pretty practice area specific though. NYC corporate used to hire some 3Ls as needed. The stories I have seen people also tend to have networked somewhat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:24 pm

ben4847 wrote:It is not the big hiring season, but it has been done. I have a few friends who landed v10 positions after graduation.

Thanks. What about in the fall when bar results are coming out? Or are you talking about the entire post-grad "first year associate" scene being like 3L OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's hard to say because there is almost none of it. 3L OCI or post grad. Tends to pretty practice area specific though. NYC corporate used to hire some 3Ls as needed. The stories I have seen people also tend to have networked somewhat.

That's definitely not me, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's definitely not me, lol.

What do you mean networked? Please explain... like the stories.

Return to “Legal Employment”