Top 33% at T25

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 33% at T25

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:31 am

From what I gathered on here and elsewhere, I'm in a gray area with potential to greatly succeed or fail miserably.

BU 2L shooting for biglaw in either Boston or NY. Any advice on OCI bidding? Any advice on anything?

Anonymous User

Re: Top 33% at T25

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

I am pretty much in the same boat as you – between top 33% and top 25% at ND. Although I don't want to work in NY, I've gathered on TLS that people in our position should bid heavy on NY plus any markets you have ties to. NY along with Boston may be your safest bets, unless you are from a smaller market in New England, where BU will place decently. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

What GPA at ND is 25-33% since we don't rank

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Using the TLS class rank calculator it is around a 3.4 which seems about right for Top 1/3, probably bit higher for Top 25%. Obviously an approximation since we don't rank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm from Cali, will be attending BU in the fall with hopes of doing well enough at BU to get some sort of gig in Cali. Biglaw ideally. How well would I have to do at BU to have a chance at midlaw/biglaw in Boston? In Cali? I know it'll be difficult going back to California but I'll be networking like mad...

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm from Cali, will be attending BU in the fall with hopes of doing well enough at BU to get some sort of gig in Cali. Biglaw ideally. How well would I have to do at BU to have a chance at midlaw/biglaw in Boston? In Cali? I know it'll be difficult going back to California but I'll be networking like mad...

Just based on recent placement, top third probably gives you a chance but is far from safe. Top 10 - 20% would actually give you a pretty good chance. There is one guy on here (Cupidity) that goes to BU and has said that top grades do not guarantee BigLaw from BU (he had top grades but not LR and that apparently did him it). Of course, this is through OCI I think so I cannot comment as to how someone does through mass mailing. I would PM this person for their opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:08 pm

I was top 1/3rd at BU, but got onto to law review, which I think helped immensly. I bid on 10 Boston firms, got 4 callbacks - led to 1 rejection, 2 acceptances, and I withdrew from one. Come back when you hear about journals as that will change things a ton.

Top 1/3rd puts you in a good position, but there are tons of factors to consider... interview ability, diversity factors, work experience, etc. I lucked out a ton, but if I had to do it again I would bid on NYC as well (NY firms tend to dip a lot lower into the class). Bid on firms with big summer classes even if they seem out of your range, and make sure to pick up as many alternate interview slots as possible (2 of my callbacks were alternates which I wasn't preselected for).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Using the TLS class rank calculator it is around a 3.4 which seems about right for Top 1/3, probably bit higher for Top 25%. Obviously an approximation since we don't rank.

Ok that is what I figured you were doing for that. Just curious what did you use for top 10? 3.60--that is what I have heard is top 10

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Using the TLS class rank calculator it is around a 3.4 which seems about right for Top 1/3, probably bit higher for Top 25%. Obviously an approximation since we don't rank.

Ok that is what I figured you were doing for that. Just curious what did you use for top 10? 3.60--that is what I have heard is top 10

Not the original ND anon above, but I believe 3.6 is top 10%. However, I assume that number is fungible and so could vary +/- .02 (I'm hoping it's more like 3.58 or something)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not the original ND anon above, but I believe 3.6 is top 10%. However, I assume that number is fungible and so could vary +/- .02 (I'm hoping it's more like 3.58 or something)

Ok that sounds right from what I've heard. Career services and alumni I have talked have told me NYC is pointless without top 10% because we don't have grads there like Chicago and the west to help students. Obviously this isn't a hard and fast rule, but something to think about before going to the OCIS there with only 5 firms (and one being skadden)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm from Cali, will be attending BU in the fall with hopes of doing well enough at BU to get some sort of gig in Cali. Biglaw ideally. How well would I have to do at BU to have a chance at midlaw/biglaw in Boston? In Cali? I know it'll be difficult going back to California but I'll be networking like mad...

At BU, also originally from CA. If you don't have a strong work background to give you the edge/niche, it doesn't seem easy to get back West. I'll let you know how it goes when I go through it in a few weeks but that's just what people have been telling me when I bring it up. I'm top 10% but I don't know about journals yet so we'll see.

BU is part of this consortium that does some OCI stuff in other parts of the country but I just looked at it and there were only like 3-5 firms for SF and LA each. If the economy keeps improving/our rank rebounds it might improve but right now it seems like BU in general tends to lean heavily towards Boston and NY.

Return to “Legal Employment”