Interested in Cleveland/Columbus, t15, good grades, tips?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interested in Cleveland/Columbus, t15, good grades, tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 am

I'm from Ohio and want to return home to practice. Unfortunately summer associate classes here are small and brutally competitive.

Anyone able to shed some light on their Ohio practice, the legal market, firm life, etc. ?

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Interested in Cleveland/Columbus, t15, good grades, tips?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:56 am

Also interested in this one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:13 am

I'm wondering how to field the question, "what other market(s) are you interviewing in?" Cleveland and Columbus combined have maybe 40-50 SA positions, so I'm looking at NYC, because I really have no choice but to look at NYC. My concern is that Cleveland and Columbus firms will infer a lack of interest since I'm interviewing outside of Ohio....but it's crazy to interview only in Ohio.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 am

Definitely look into Jones Day. The firm started in Cleveland and they have offices in both Cleveland and Columbus. I am a summer there now (not in an Ohio office) and it is a amazing place to be. The more regional offices like Cleveland will be much more focused on local ties and personality fit, so if you are from there, you will have an advantage. And T15 school and good grades certainly wont hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 am

I was at a T25 with Top 5% grades, also from Ohio, and I only got one CB in Cincinnati and one screener in Cleveland after blanketing Ohio. I got the CB only because I told the firm I was going to be in town anyway (I wasn't) so they didn't care since they didn't have to pay. My advice to you is to apply early and continue to follow up with e-mails and phone calls. I wish I had, though I eventually did land somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering how to field the question, "what other market(s) are you interviewing in?" Cleveland and Columbus combined have maybe 40-50 SA positions, so I'm looking at NYC, because I really have no choice but to look at NYC. My concern is that Cleveland and Columbus firms will infer a lack of interest since I'm interviewing outside of Ohio....but it's crazy to interview only in Ohio.

I didn't really get that question asked (got a couple offers in OH and eventually took one). If I had, though, I feel like the best answer would have been "I'm focused mainly on Cleveland/Cincinnati/Columbus - Ohio's where I want to be." Or something to that effect.

omg clay aiken !

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 pm

I think squire sanders hires quite a few SAs

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm going to be a 1L at Chicago this year, and it seems like coming back to Ohio (Grew up/whole family in Akron) is one of my best shots at a 1L SA. Is that true? do any of the Cleveland/Columbus firms even take 1L SA's? and if so how hard would it be to get such a position without any real connections to people at firms here?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:37 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:I'm going to be a 1L at Chicago this year, and it seems like coming back to Ohio (Grew up/whole family in Akron) is one of my best shots at a 1L SA. Is that true? do any of the Cleveland/Columbus firms even take 1L SA's? and if so how hard would it be to get such a position without any real connections to people at firms here?

It's certainly a possibility. I interviewed for 1L SAs in Ohio, but even the firms who do take them only hire a few 1Ls so the odds aren't great. I don't think you need any connection to the firms, though that always helps.

Return to “Legal Employment”