Top 10-15% UW-Seattle, just graduated and wondering......

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10-15% UW-Seattle, just graduated and wondering......

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 am

No job but I haven't been applying to firms. I've planned all along to work as a prosecutor and have extensive experience in that field. Most don't hire until you pass the bar but I've had a few interviews and have one coming up with various counties.

Anyway, I know how firm hiring works and know all about 3L OCI and all that. However, I've never looked into people getting decent firm jobs after actually graduating. I'd only be interested in firms that would pay 80k+ to start and would be applying only to NW firms. I still would rather work as a prosecutor but was just wondering if I should be sending out some apps while studying for the bar.

I guess what I really want to know is whether firms are more or less apt to hire recent grads than they are students doing 3L OCI and if I should apply. Thanks in advance.

ggocat

Re: Top 10-15% UW-Seattle, just graduated and wondering......

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:07 am

It just depends on the situation and what the firm needs. Some high paying firms indeed hire graduates.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 am

When you don't apply for jobs, you're dinging yourself. Don't ding yourself.

david_niedrauer

Postby david_niedrauer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No job but I haven't been applying to firms. I've planned all along to work as a prosecutor and have extensive experience in that field. Most don't hire until you pass the bar but I've had a few interviews and have one coming up with various counties.

Anyway, I know how firm hiring works and know all about 3L OCI and all that. However, I've never looked into people getting decent firm jobs after actually graduating. I'd only be interested in firms that would pay 80k+ to start and would be applying only to NW firms. I still would rather work as a prosecutor but was just wondering if I should be sending out some apps while studying for the bar.

I guess what I really want to know is whether firms are more or less apt to hire recent grads than they are students doing 3L OCI and if I should apply. Thanks in advance.

My supervisor at XXX firm (midlaw/regional) got a job this way as a 3L. But it was in Arkansas. Also, she had around 4 interviews and an extensive vetting process. I think firms are stricter when they don't get to observe you for a summer. I know some of them do hire, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:11 pm

david_niedrauer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No job but I haven't been applying to firms. I've planned all along to work as a prosecutor and have extensive experience in that field. Most don't hire until you pass the bar but I've had a few interviews and have one coming up with various counties.

My supervisor at XXX firm (midlaw/regional) got a job this way as a 3L. But it was in Arkansas. Also, she had around 4 interviews and an extensive vetting process. I think firms are stricter when they don't get to observe you for a summer. I know some of them do hire, though.

Thanks. I was just wondering b/c I sent resumes out to the biggest NW firms this winter and didn't get an interview. Does anyone know if it is different after graduating? All of my rejection letters said they had already filled from their SA classes. Do some people take other jobs after graduation or something which opens a few positions? It was a ghost town for 3L OCI so can I expect much the same post grad. with the same grades?

I just want to make sure I don't leave any stones unturned b/c my grades easily put me in contention.....if of course I was participating in 2L OCI that is.

kenji

Postby kenji » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:20 pm

You should stick it out with prosecution. After working in prosecution and doing trials(I assume), would you really be happy sitting in a desk writing memos all the time?

I go to UW-Seattle also and the few post-grad positions on Symplicity/websites require years of experience as a lawyer so its not too surprising you're not getting interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm

kenji wrote:You should stick it out with prosecution. After working in prosecution and doing trials(I assume), would you really be happy sitting in a desk writing memos all the time?

I go to UW-Seattle also and the few post-grad positions on Symplicity/websites require years of experience as a lawyer so its not too surprising you're not getting interviews.

What year and how are you doing on the job front? I agree with this sentiment and like I said above it's not my first choice. However, having no job right now and a good class ranking is making me feel like I might be missing an opportunity to get a good job that I could maybe transition later to the USAO or something w/ my prosecution background, grades, achievements, and work experience at a recognized firm. My last resort is an average to low paying firm job (in our market) b/c I would rather make that kind of money doing what I really like while being on IBR and getting my loans forgiven in 10 years.

kenji

Postby kenji » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm externing/interning in Prosecution/PD-oriented organization. I'd rather not say my year, im not post-grad though. I guess my larger point was just about job satisfaction since I believe most people who do what we do will not be happy with typical firm practice. However, I dont know anything about using a firm to get into USAO, etc. so I cant say anything to that.

However still, for post-grads I mainly see either "not hiring" or "prefer 2+ years of experience" on websites/simplicity for our mid-size and larger firms. You may have missed the boat. I think because firms babysit you for years anyways, your prosecution experience may not be relevant to them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm

kenji wrote:I'm externing/interning in Prosecution/PD-oriented organization. I'd rather not say my year, im not post-grad though. I guess my larger point was just about job satisfaction since I believe most people who do what we do will not be happy with typical firm practice. However, I dont know anything about using a firm to get into USAO, etc. so I cant say anything to that.

However still, for post-grads I mainly see either "not hiring" or "prefer 2+ years of experience" on websites/simplicity for our mid-size and larger firms. You may have missed the boat. I think because firms babysit you for years anyways, your prosecution experience may not be relevant to them.

PM sent.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 pm

You're only interested in firms that pay $80k plus? That is shit ridiculous. Come on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:You're only interested in firms that pay $80k plus? That is shit ridiculous. Come on.

Why? I am pretty confident that I will be able to land a job as an ADA with my work experience, grades, and school in the PNW and that's what I like and have been planning on doing all along. This is just a "should I flip out some apps" to the big firms. I wouldn't mind doing a few years and paying down debt as a stepping stone to a better gov. job or something else down the road.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You're only interested in firms that pay $80k plus? That is shit ridiculous. Come on.

Why? I am pretty confident that I will be able to land a job as an ADA with my work experience, grades, and school in the PNW and that's what I like and have been planning on doing all along. This is just a "should I flip out some apps" to the big firms. I wouldn't mind doing a few years and paying down debt as a stepping stone to a better gov. job or something else down the road.

How did that confidence work out for you during 2L OCI? Exactly.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This hubris could bone you if ADA doesn't work out for whatever reason

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This hubris could bone you if ADA doesn't work out for whatever reason

Not trying to sound cocky but I've been called back for every single ADA position that I've interviewed for. I made it to round three a few weeks ago and lost out by one spot apparently. Trust me, I'm very humble and I know I could be a street pauper with how this economy is right now. Of course I'll apply to small firm jobs if I can't get anything else but it would really be a last resort financially due to student loans and IBR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:51 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How did that confidence work out for you during 2L OCI? Exactly.

Didn't do 2L OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Where does top 10-15% gradewise fall at UW? They don't seem to post their ranges online.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where does top 10-15% gradewise fall at UW? They don't seem to post their ranges online.

I don't want to reveal too much but just know it is at least over a 3.7 (i.e., a 3.7 MIGHT get you top 20% but not guaranteed)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 pm

How long after spring quarter did you find out rankings?

Return to “Legal Employment”