2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Just finished 1L, and not really sure where I'd like to end up after graduating in 2014. I've heard people suggest clerking for a judge because it's a fantastic experience. I've also heard a 2L summer job at a firm can lead to employment after graduating. I'm currently interning at a small firm (2 days per week) and legal nonprofit (3 days per week) for the summer, with collaboration between my employers.

My school is ranked in the 20s, I have a 3.57 GPA, top 15%. Probably law review - write on results are pending. Thanks to scholarship/grant money, I'll be graduating with less than $50k in debt (less pressure to get a biglaw position to pay it off).

I'm in a relatively small legal market, but with lots of judicial opportunities (both state and federal). I'm 1.5 hours from a larger market, and wouldn't mind relocating for the summer if paid. However, that larger market has stiff T14 competition, so my firm opportunities are realistically limited to local midsize/small firms.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but if I'm facing multiple offers, say, from a district court judge and a large/midsize firm, any thoughts on what I should choose? Keeping in mind I'm not dead-set on getting biglaw - more like luke-warm on that idea.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby englawyer » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:31 pm

aim for a firm 2L summer. you can clerk after graduation or even after practicing 1-2 years. judicial internship over the summer is not even close to as useful as a firm SA

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby Detrox » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished 1L, and not really sure where I'd like to end up after graduating in 2014. I've heard people suggest clerking for a judge because it's a fantastic experience. I've also heard a 2L summer job at a firm can lead to employment after graduating. I'm currently interning at a small firm (2 days per week) and legal nonprofit (3 days per week) for the summer, with collaboration between my employers.

My school is ranked in the 20s, I have a 3.57 GPA, top 15%. Probably law review - write on results are pending. Thanks to scholarship/grant money, I'll be graduating with less than $50k in debt (less pressure to get a biglaw position to pay it off).

I'm in a relatively small legal market, but with lots of judicial opportunities (both state and federal). I'm 1.5 hours from a larger market, and wouldn't mind relocating for the summer if paid. However, that larger market has stiff T14 competition, so my firm opportunities are realistically limited to local midsize/small firms.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but if I'm facing multiple offers, say, from a district court judge and a large/midsize firm, any thoughts on what I should choose? Keeping in mind I'm not dead-set on getting biglaw - more like luke-warm on that idea.


Get a firm job 2L summer. The clerkships people are talking about are year to two year long jobs that happen after you have graduated, which you apply for during 2L summer/3L fall. HTH

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby traydeuce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:00 pm

^^

What he said. There is no such thing as a 2L summer clerkship. Just internships that lead to absolutely nothing - not a real clerkship, not anything else - though they're marginally useful on a resume. There are, however, things called summer associate positions at big firms; they pay about 30K and lead to employment after graduation far more often than they don't.

2012JayDee
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby 2012JayDee » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:03 pm

You can have both a summer associate gig and a full-time clerkship after graduation.
The right firm + the right clerkship= Monetary Bonus

Plus, I don't know of too many firms that would not let you defer for a year or two if you landed a full time clerkship even after you accepted a full time offer from the firm.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 pm

As others suggest, spend your 2L summer at a large firm if possible, making money (hey, you can make $25K and pay off half your debt). Also, it gives you a chance at a permanent job offer that you can leave after a year or two if you hate it... with money in the bank.

You can always intern/extern for a judge during your second semester (yes, it's possible with law review/journal, especially if you get class credit). The internship with a judge will give you a marginal boost in your post-grad clerkship applications.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:11 pm

traydeuce wrote:^^

What he said. There is no such thing as a 2L summer clerkship. Just internships that lead to absolutely nothing - not a real clerkship, not anything else - though they're marginally useful on a resume. There are, however, things called summer associate positions at big firms; they pay about 30K and lead to employment after graduation far more often than they don't.


Not necessarily true. I externed for a district judge last summer (2L summer) and I'll begin a two-year clerkship with that judge in August.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273317
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L; Should I go for clerkship or firm next summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not necessarily true. I externed for a district judge last summer (2L summer) and I'll begin a two-year clerkship with that judge in August.


How likely is it to turn an externship into a clerkship? And how likely is it that you extern for one judge who vouches for you when you apply for clerkships with other judges in the district (assuming that judge has no clerkships available but likes you)?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.