3L OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crazyeddie

3L OCI

Postby crazyeddie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm currently at a v50, and hoping to get an offer at the end of the summer, however, my grades went up from ~top 20% after 1L year to ~top 5% after 2L year.

I am wondering whether I should consider applying to higher ranked firms, how this works logistically, and the pros/cons of doing so.

Anyone who has been through this, or knows someone who has been through this, please advise. Anyone who wants to give an uneducated opinion, please don't advise.

Thanks.

prawnstar

Re: 3L OCI

Postby prawnstar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I am one of the few that did this. Grades went up significantly and I did 3L OCI and ultimately accepted one of the two offers I received because I thought that the firm I chose was a better fit.

I knew quite a few other people that did this. Firms I know who really welcome 3Ls:

Quinn (regularly hires 3Ls)
STB
Latham
A lot of the NY firms.

Advice:

1. Get an offer from your summer firm (upgrading is impossible if you don't)
2. Come up with a good story why you don't want to go back to the firm you worked for in the summer (don't say: I didn't get along with the people I worked with; say I really want to work with this practice group and your firm is the best...etc.)
3. Don't burn bridges at the place you worked for in the summer at any point
4. Don't tell the people at the place you worked for in the summer about what you are doing before you get an offer

crazyeddie

Postby crazyeddie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Cool, thanks for the advice. Did you rely on OCI, or were you mailing in your resume before OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Agree w above. A few people did this at my school and some got offers they took with better firms, V100 to V20. Might take a shot at Kirkland as well who does this sometimes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 pm

I have a related question. I'm at a firm this summer, but a peer firm (maybe a slight upgrade in prestige? not really what I care about here though) would fit my practice interests a lot better (long story short, I developed a strong affinity for an practice area through 2L classes/externships). That particular firm isn't interviewing 3Ls at OCI this year. Thoughts on maybe e-mailing the recruiter a resume, transcript and cover letter in mid-to-late July?

prawnstar

Postby prawnstar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 pm

crazyeddie wrote:Cool, thanks for the advice. Did you rely on OCI, or were you mailing in your resume before OCI?

I did not rely solely on OCI. The firm I chose went to OCI but I got another offer from a firm where I just mailed a my resume. Although I would like to caution that I knew the hiring partner from networking and referrals on my behalf. I do however know of at least 6 people who switched firms by simply e-mailing the recruiter.
Last edited by prawnstar on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prawnstar

Postby prawnstar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a related question. I'm at a firm this summer, but a peer firm (maybe a slight upgrade in prestige? not really what I care about here though) would fit my practice interests a lot better (long story short, I developed a strong affinity for an practice area through 2L classes/externships). That particular firm isn't interviewing 3Ls at OCI this year. Thoughts on maybe e-mailing the recruiter a resume, transcript and cover letter in mid-to-late July?

Would recommend doing lunch or coffee with the head of the practice group you want to work for first. If he says they are hiring and says you should give it a shot, THEN send your stuff to the recruiter. Blind-emailing can work but I think this approach is better as it worked for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:53 pm

prawnstar wrote:where I just mailed a my resume

Email or snail mail to recruiter?

Any advice on timing this summer: early or late July, or early August?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 am

If you mass mail firms in your city, would the recruiting people at your current firm catch wind from the other recruiters at other firms? I know for a fact that recruiters from every firm are in contact with one another.

prawnstar

Postby prawnstar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:43 am

To answer the questions posted, I just e-mailed my stuff and everyone else I know that switched did the same. As far as timing, I would say it is unimportant. 3L OCI and hiring in general is generally designed to plug holes that weren't filled by the summer class. At the place I accepted an offer at, no summer wanted to join the practice group I am working for and I happened to work in that group at my other firm.

Anyhow the point is, applying later won't necessarily be to your detriment. I know people who got offers at New York firms toward the end of the Fall. Plus if you want a chance at switching over, you need an offer in hand anyways so applying earlier might be a waste of time.

Applying later also has the advantage of not tipping your hand which might kill your chance at an offer at the firm you actually summered with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 pm

I would actually disagree with that statement. Network and send your resume out to practice heads. If there is an opening, they will think of you BEFORE they post a job.

Don't send out random apps until August

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:21 pm

You didn't mention your school, but if you are now top 5% you should think about whether you'd like to clerk. You should have plenty of interesting options if you go that route.

crazyeddie

Postby crazyeddie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 am

My law school is in the t20-30 range. Not sure if I should consider a clerkship or not, I am fairly certain I want to do transactional work rather than litigation.

If so, where to apply? I have LR, but no exec. board. I don't think I'm competitive for CoA, and would probably rather go straight into a firm rather than go to a district court.

Thoughts?

Return to “Legal Employment”