~Top 12% at IU - BigLaw Chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eastcoast_iub

~Top 12% at IU - BigLaw Chances

Postby eastcoast_iub » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:27 pm

I know many firms do strict top 10% cutoffs. How big of a difference are my BigLaw prospects going to be in Top 12% vs. Top 10%?
Goal is DC, NY, or even Philly BigLaw.

Also thinking about transferring, with grades probably only have a shot at NU and maybe Duke or Michigan. So, in addition to my original question, also wondering about whether any of these schools are worth it given my target markets? I am currently on $40k/year scholly.

Just to give more background, I am MD native, MBA from UMD, about 8 years substantive W/E. Currently interning at Homeland Security in DC.
Last edited by eastcoast_iub on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: ~Top 12% at IU - BigLaw Chances

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:15 am

Transfer to Columbia, NYU, UChi, or Penn -- it's entirely possible. I was top 15% (you aren't top 12%, you're top 15%, sorry) from IUB and I did it. I know someone who was top 20% and was admitted to CLS about 3 cycles ago. Don't apply where you "think you have a shot." Apply where you want to attend (short of HYS). You went to a very highly ranked school and you did very well.

Major market biglaw will be hard from IUB absent a transfer. You won't have the exposure. Target secondary markets where you have ties.

My advice would be to GTFO of there.

eastcoast_iub

Re: ~Top 12% at IU - BigLaw Chances

Postby eastcoast_iub » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer to Columbia, NYU, UChi, or Penn -- it's entirely possible. I was top 15% (you aren't top 12%, you're top 15%, sorry) from IUB and I did it. I know someone who was top 20% and was admitted to CLS about 3 cycles ago. Don't apply where you "think you have a shot." Apply where you want to attend (short of HYS). You went to a very highly ranked school and you did very well.

Major market biglaw will be hard from IUB absent a transfer. You won't have the exposure. Target secondary markets where you have ties.

My advice would be to GTFO of there.

Can you PM me? I am curious to know more about how you managed to get admitted to one of those schools. I would love to go to any of them but I remember talking to someone on here who said they got rejected from Penn from IUB at top 5%...

Return to “Legal Employment”