Political Writings and Stuff Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I stop?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 3

Anonymous User

Political Writings and Stuff

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm going to be a 1L in a month so it might seem early but I need to know if I should stop doing this.

So I'm currently a "contributor" for a news website and this basically means that once in a while, I can write an op-ed/commentary/opinion piece on some hot button political issue. Which means, floating around the web are articles that I've written about pretty controversial topics.

Question...Should I stop writing these articles? The reason I ask now is that I'm concerned they might come back and haunt me during job searches in the sense that if employers google my name, some of these articles might come up and if they dont like what I say then..yeah..

manofjustice

Silver

Re: Political Writings and Stuff

Post by manofjustice » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:09 pm

I love stuff!!!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Hey friends,

I've noticed you're both 0Ls. 0Ls should not post in the legal employment forum under almost any circumstances. This subforum is a place where current law students and actual law school graduates can exchange information relating to legal employment. It get cluttered if 0Ls bring in their questions and opinions. If you have a question for law students and grads, please use the "Ask A Law Student/Graduate" subforum.

Best,
-bils

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:34 pm

You have to make a decision: Do you someday want to work for a firm/agency/whatever that would potentially choose not to hire you because of your opinions? If the answer is yes, then you should stop writing anything that chances publication, never write a law review article, and immediately delete your Facebook/reddit/TLS/whatever accounts.

The reality is that every employer with half a brain is going to thumb through the first couple pages of google results for any applicant that isn't named "John Doe." I'm a recent grad and know that at least one callback I did went south because the firm was uber conservative and had read news coverage of my pre-law-school activities (public figure, heavily political). In the end, it dawned on me that I had no interest in working for a firm that wants to axe prospective employees based on their politics, so it was a blessing in disguise.

If you, on the other hand, really want to sell out and would love to work for a place that screens applicants to make sure they are bland, don't have opinions, and don't have opinions inside the office or not--stop writing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”