Lawyer with bad reviews online?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lawyer with bad reviews online?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm a 0L, doing interviews as Administrative Assistant at small law offices. At one of them, the lawyer has a few reviews, complaining of being fraudulently ripped off. Not that many reviews, and it could just be disgruntled clients, not necessarily a reflection of her character. I somehow still don't get a good feeling about this position, should I take it... or not? What would you do?

kalvano

Re: Lawyer with bad reviews online?

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Have you met with the lawyer? If you have and still don't have a good feeling, then go with that.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Are these Yelp reviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:57 pm

No, one was on this legal advice forum where the client was trying to get her money back/sue for fraud; there was another one on a legal-related site, but not yelp

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:37 pm

so any other thoughts on this?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:43 pm

It's enough that it would give me pause, fair or unfair. It's entirely possible, if not likely, that whoever is writing those review is just some bitter moron who lost a lousy case and thinks they're entitled to something they aren't. But fraud is serious enough that I'd have reservations about it since, if true, it is certainly not someone you want to work for/depend on to pay you.

The real question is: do you have any options? All else being equal, I'd obviously just go with someone else if I had an alternative offer. If not, then I'd be more scrutinous/try to find out more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:55 pm

- edited out update later

Return to “Legal Employment”