Top 20% at T35 shot at Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 20% at T35 shot at Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 am

The school is William and Mary. Top 20% with strong ties to Richmond and DC. I would also be interested in New York if my best chance is there. I will most likely be on a secondary journal. Any input on what firms I should be looking at would be very helpful. I've done some initial research, but I have no idea what types of grades firms in Richmond would be looking for.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Top 20% at T35 shot at Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:The school is William and Mary. Top 20% with strong ties to Richmond and DC. I would also be interested in New York if my best chance is there. I will most likely be on a secondary journal. Any input on what firms I should be looking at would be very helpful. I've done some initial research, but I have no idea what types of grades firms in Richmond would be looking for.

Thanks

WM 2012 grad with DC Biglaw job here. Since everything is preselect, there is no harm in applying for every OCI firm and resume forward, as well as applying to everyone else in DC who isn't hiring through a school program. However, you will have a very hard time getting any DC firm job (mostly only top 10% + law review have a realistic shot), unless you have an IP background (non-cum laude IP people have landed DC Biglaw). Best (only) DC chance might be a lower ranked firm like Venable, though.

Richmond is possible if connections/reason to be in Richmond. All the Richmond firms will be on campus, and they regularly hire students outside the top 10%, so you definitely are competitive there.

Overall, you are right at the cut-off to have a shot, so you should pick up a handful of Richmond interviews on campus, but make sure to apply to smaller firms/government jobs on your own. Relying just on OCI to land a firm job is risky--not trying to be negative, just the reality of the school's placement plus the competitiveness of these markets.

Good Luck!

Anonymous User

Re: Top 20% at T35 shot at Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for the advice and congratuations on DC Biglaw!

Return to “Legal Employment”