Paralegal: negotiating salary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Gold

Re: Paralegal: negotiating salary?

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Fuck being a paralegal. The paralegal I work with showed me how to prepare shit and file it at the courthouse. We have runners to take it over but the attoerney said it is worth learning. Like I said, fuck that noise. I'd fail soooo hard trying to do that shit for myself it isn't even funny.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:19 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Fuck being a paralegal. The paralegal I work with showed me how to prepare shit and file it at the courthouse. We have runners to take it over but the attoerney said it is worth learning. Like I said, fuck that noise. I'd fail soooo hard trying to do that shit for myself it isn't even funny.
Someone gets it.
Last edited by jurisx on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jurisx wrote:what's to get over? This is a law school forum and I'm in law school, big whoopie. It's a floor not a ceiling people.
When you get a chance, go ahead and get AIDS. Thanks ahead of time.
Yes, best counter argument ever. Sorry I havn't found enough homeless MBA's to suck me off for cans yet. Check back latter.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:23 pm

jurisx wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
jurisx wrote:what's to get over? This is a law school forum and I'm in law school, big whoopie. It's a floor not a ceiling people.
Yes, best counter argument ever. Sorry I havn't found enough homeless MBA's to suck me off for cans yet. Check back latter.
Not trying to argue shit. I just think you are a fuckhead and would love for you to get AIDS. Consider it a favor.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:24 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jurisx wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Not trying to argue shit. I just think you are a fuckhead and would love for you to get AIDS. Consider it a favor.
Yeah, tell your mom I'm free tonight. I'm out of cans but she can do it for your happiness. How's that sound?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:25 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Anyone in this thread who is berating paralegals obviously has never been a summer associate. Paralegals saved my life on so many occasions. Honestly if I had a question I'd usually go to them before I went to a lawyer.
I'd have committed suicide four times over already without the paralegals.

<------------ Four weeks in to first SA gig.

ETA: jurisx is a douchenozzle.
Proves they serve a purpose. Not that you should be one. Not that they are equal.

kind of proves you suck though,

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
z0rk wrote:I think experience is a big part in setting the salary.

First off, check out the local market salaries for Paralegal I/Jr. Paralegal positions on http://www.payscale.com and http://www.salary.com. Show the data to your parents if they need assurance.

I started at a mid-sized firm in a secondary market as a paralegal just over 35k right out of college. I got the job because of some background experience I had interning at law firms, but the fact was I needed training. Any recent graduate needs training, and so the entry level salary must accomodate for that. My billing rate was $120 to start, it got pushed to a higher number as time went on and that increase was also reflected in my compensation. I still earn under 40k baseline salary after working for more than three years, but with overtime I stretch well above that amount (I bill close to 2100 annually). I will be attending law school part-time this fall and I am looking for government paralegal positions. Those opportunities pay around 45-50k and seek more experienced candidates (3+ years at a minimum).

Perhaps you can explain to your parents that you would get paid closer to what they think you deserve, but not as a baseline salary.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks, I checked the data, but data tends to be around 45-50,000 a year for paralegal/jr paralegal/legal secretary positions. I wanted to show the data to them, but it's just fodder for them to say "seee.... you SHOULD be getting paid more".

It's frustrating because I actually declined a few offers (<$10/hr), and I'm about to accept the offer I get, which is ~$25k per year (keep in mind, i am entry-legal with no relevant experience). honestly im just grateful to have A job in this crappy economy. I have friends who have been looking for full-time positions for over 6+ months (they are doing temp jobs, working at non-related places while looking for actual jobs). and I'd honestly rather have A job paying 25K a year that is full time, in the legal field, rather than doing odd jobs here and there.

I WANT to take this position honestly. Even if I find a similar legal secretary/entry level paralegal position, honestly the difference would be maybe a few hundred $ a month. That does seem a lot, since it adds up, but... I'd rather sacrifice that few hundred potential gain, rather than have NO job. It's just the rentals giving me pressure/doubt/confusion @_@
just do whats best for you.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Oh snap. A "your mom" joke. This guy, he's going places. Hopefully an AIDS clinic.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 pm

bjsesq wrote:Oh snap. A "your mom" joke. This guy, he's going places. Hopefully an AIDS clinic.
Yes, because mentioning a nation wide epidemic in reply to a thread of jobs, so much better.
I'm sure the thousands of people with dieing family all around america love you right now. You so awsome. Tell your infected mother I can't risk being your little brothers daddy. Not worth it. Not after the rash she gave me last time. Sorry bro, looks like you have to fill in for me with giving her the anal tonight. She says you are better at it anyways. Just call her Jeff like you normally do with your eyes closed. Its for the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm

jurisx wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Oh snap. A "your mom" joke. This guy, he's going places. Hopefully an AIDS clinic.
Yes, because mentioning a nation wide epidemic in reply to a thread of jobs, so much better.
I'm sure the thousands of people with dieing family all around america love you right now. You so awsome. Tell your infected mother I can't risk being your little brothers daddy. Not worth it. Not after the rash she gave me last time. Sorry bro, looks like you have to fill in for me with giving her the anal tonight. She says you are better at it anyways. Just call her Jeff like you normally do with your eyes closed. Its for the best.
Imma need you to lengthen out the "your mom" joke a bit more to show me how bawss you are. This was b-squad shit.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jurisx wrote:
Imma need you to lengthen out the "your mom" joke a bit more to show me how bawss you are. This was b-squad shit.
what joke?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 pm

jurisx wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
jurisx wrote:
what joke?
Solid, but I was hoping for another one of those "watch me list out specific maladies and family members" one pager that you showed earlier. Like a bawss.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:58 pm

jurisx wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Anyone in this thread who is berating paralegals obviously has never been a summer associate. Paralegals saved my life on so many occasions. Honestly if I had a question I'd usually go to them before I went to a lawyer.
I'd have committed suicide four times over already without the paralegals.

<------------ Four weeks in to first SA gig.

ETA: jurisx is a douchenozzle.
Proves they serve a purpose. Not that you should be one. Not that they are equal.

kind of proves you suck though,
You don't even know what you are arguing anymore do you?

I hope and pray I someday meet you in court. That way when I am done with the equivilent of that scene in Deliverence with you I'll get the judge to order you to pay my attorney's fees and use them as a bonus for my paralegal, you pretentious shit brained prick.

:D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 pm

The only two attorneys I have ever encountered in my entire career who had negative opinions about the value of paralegals were both "eased" out of the firm after their third years as associates. I mean, believe what you're going to believe, but for your sake jurisx, I hope you know how to hide it in a professional atmosphere.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Holy shit this thread is bad.

OP, take the job man. You can move on later. The biggest mistakes I made immediately after college were turning down jobs because I was "holding out" for something better. You're really not looking at a career right now, just think of it as a temporary landing pad, something to pay the bills (even if just barely) while you get some real-world work experience and plot your next move.

tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:38 am

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:02 pm

paratactical wrote:The only two attorneys I have ever encountered in my entire career who had negative opinions about the value of paralegals were both "eased" out of the firm after their third years as associates. I mean, believe what you're going to believe, but for your sake jurisx, I hope you know how to hide it in a professional atmosphere.
what a bunch of winners, can't even read.

Kiss their ass all you want, I am nice to the janitor every day. I smile, wave, know his name, but I will never shake his damn hand (duh) and I wonder why I wouldn't encourage someone else to be one if they can avoid it (duh)

Ok, get it? No. Of course not.

Give the special ed kids their gold stars, make them feel special, get them to do their job, just don't fall behind and become one of them. (not hard, get over it)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:04 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Holy shit this thread is bad.

OP, take the job man. You can move on later. The biggest mistakes I made immediately after college were turning down jobs because I was "holding out" for something better. You're really not looking at a career right now, just think of it as a temporary landing pad, something to pay the bills (even if just barely) while you get some real-world work experience and plot your next move.
Most sound thing I have heard yet.

Do what you have to do, just don't get stuck. (hell the grunts will appreciate you more if they think you were one of them once anyways, just don't wake up in 20 years and be in the same spot-many do)

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:14 pm

jurisx wrote:
paratactical wrote:The only two attorneys I have ever encountered in my entire career who had negative opinions about the value of paralegals were both "eased" out of the firm after their third years as associates. I mean, believe what you're going to believe, but for your sake jurisx, I hope you know how to hide it in a professional atmosphere.

Kiss their ass all you want, I am nice to the janitor every day. I smile, wave, know his name, but I will never shake his damn hand (duh) and I wonder why I wouldn't encourage someone else to be one if they can avoid it (duh)

Give the special ed kids their gold stars, make them feel special, get them to do their job, just don't fall behind and become one of them. (not hard, get over it)
Being a janitor isn't a bad job, but not anybody is cut out for it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:30 pm

jurisx wrote:
I actually don't get it. Do you not shake his hand on principle because of some bullshit class issue, or because he's been cleaning things and has dirt on his hands?

Also, if janitors were well paid, I think a lot of us would gladly work as janitors. Being chained to a desk all day is really stifling and I'd rather have a job involving some kind of physical element.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:09 pm

cinephile wrote:
jurisx wrote:
I actually don't get it. Do you not shake his hand on principle because of some bullshit class issue, or because he's been cleaning things and has dirt on his hands?

Also, if janitors were well paid, I think a lot of us would gladly work as janitors. Being chained to a desk all day is really stifling and I'd rather have a job involving some kind of physical element.
Non-janitorial building maintenance (like building managers / staff) is the construction equivalent of moving in-house from biglaw. Dudes fight for that shit because you sit in the ac all day and if you can't fix something you call a contractor while making only moderately less and sometimes more if you go fed govt and were underpaid before.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Lol jurisx, I wish that I could see your face when you realize halfway thru your SA that the paras know 1000x more than you do, and that they can sink your chancs at an offer/advancement. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll have the opportunity since you'd have to actually get an SA first.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Woah, lots of fuckwaddery up in here. I was just gonna say that I graduated during the boom and no one with a liberal arts degree from my big state school was making more than $50k. Since then entry level salaries have only decreased.

I really do feel sorry for self-aggrandizing law students though. It must suck so much harder when they find out they're not at the top of the food chain even in their own little universe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
jurisx wrote:

Being a janitor isn't a bad job, but not anybody is cut out for it.
:lol:

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:33 pm

sundance95 wrote:Lol jurisx, I wish that I could see your face when you realize halfway thru your SA that the paras know 1000x more than you do, and that they can sink your chancs at an offer/advancement. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll have the opportunity since you'd have to actually get an SA first.
re-read my last post. (all of them for that case)

You won't, your too stupid. But ok.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”