new york bar admission: is the interview a formality?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

new york bar admission: is the interview a formality?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 pm

third department here. my interview is scheduled on the same day as admission.
suppose we all get our admission certificate on the same day, that means all our certificates will have been ready before our interviews.

how does this make sense, unless the interview is a mere formality?

piccolittle

Re: new york bar admission: is the interview a formality?

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:third department here. my interview is scheduled on the same day as admission.
suppose we all get our admission certificate on the same day, that means all our certificates will have been ready before our interviews.

how does this make sense, unless the interview is a mere formality?

Pretty much. They usually take around 5-10 minutes and I think it's just an anti-serial killer screen. As long as you wear a suit, can talk normally about your experience in law school and your future plans, and don't do anything wild, you're fine. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being rejected at the interview stage.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

It's a formality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm

i have this question because (1) I got a letter telling me that my application was complete and no documents were missing. it also told me that my application had been forwarded to the committee for review. (2) in the same letter, I got the interview date and swear-in date which are the same.

so, it seems that even before my application had been reviewed, the interview an swear-in date have been set on the same day.

does the statement that my application was complete indicate that there was no red flag with it?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so, it seems that even before my application had been reviewed, the interview an swear-in date have been set on the same day.

Pretty sure this is what usually happens. Mine was the day before because I was coming from out of state and it was one of those consolidated programs so I had my interview after the ethics talk, but I'm pretty sure they usually do them on the same day or close to it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 pm

so, the c & f had been cleared even before it was sent to the review committee?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so, the c & f had been cleared even before it was sent to the review committee?

I mean, isn't the assumption that once you pass the bar you are getting admitted unless there is a C&F problem? Starting to wonder why you even care. Do you have a C&F issue you're worried about? Just rely on the fact that they assigned you a date, and if there's a problem, they'll tell you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:47 pm

i don't, except that an ex-employer refused to send me an employment affidavit (just like they withheld my W2 form and got penalized). I filed a due diligence affidavit detailing my effort to get it but failed and included it in my application package.

I was told that getting admitted is a privilege not a right. so, passing the bar =/= getting admitted.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that getting admitted is a privilege not a right. so, passing the bar =/= getting admitted.

That's true, in that they have discretion not to admit you. However, those decisions aren't arbitrary, and it's certainly more common to be admitted than to be rejected for C&F reasons. The worst thing that could happen is perhaps that your admission gets delayed because of the paperwork issues. I'm sure you're fine :) Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 am

thanks. very helpful already.

Rams55

Postby Rams55 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

Most people have already submitted the C&F materials? I was told that a lot of people take care of that after the exam. Am I way off on that?

clockwerk

Postby clockwerk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 am

A friend of mine got a 15 minute lecture over a parking ticket s/he paid late when s/he was in college, although s/he still got admitted.

Return to “Legal Employment”