FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Based on previous years cutoffs.

Should I be bidding on firms like Kirkland, DPW, Cravath, Debevoise?

Or sticking more to Kaye Scholar, Cadwalader, Morgan Lewis, etc.?

THANKS!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Evening student as well btw.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Evening student as well btw.

Working Evening Student or non-working?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Happy mix of both groups.

What kind of evening student?
- working students (3E's during EIW) tend to do well comparably for their GPA's
- transferring evening students (2L's during EIW) might have a slight disadvantage but I wouldn't sweat it or let it affect bidding strategies

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Evening student as well btw.

Working Evening Student or non-working?


OP here. 3E student working in a field not related to law.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:52 pm

You're definitely in a position to bid on top firms. Once you're in the top 10%, there's a danger of going too low since firms that aren't so prestigious may not give you an offer. The reasoning is that because you can prob get a job at a better firm, you wont accept their offer. Definitely forget Kaye Scholer and prob cadwalader as well. Morgan Lewis is bid-worthy though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Does this mean should bid on cravath, skadden, s and c? Somehow I don't think these firms will be impressed with my squeak into the top 10....

inkincorporate
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby inkincorporate » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm

I mean, lets say there are 420 people eligible for 2L OCI. That means there are only 42 people in the top 10% (not to restate the obvious). Even with the economy as it is, all the top firms will be looking to scoop up some of those 42. There are definitely enough offers being given by the top firms to be very comfortable bidding on cravath/debevoise, skadden and similar firms. That doesn't mean you cant bid on firms that aren't v20... you should definitely have safeties. But ur ranking is high enough that a firm like kaye scholer for example, which is a respectable firm but not exactly the most selective, would be less likely to give you an offer. Congrats on the ranking tho, dont sell yourself short.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks. Class rankings not out yet so we will see. I'll definitely be posting my bid list here for critique.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Doesn't Fordham rank? If so, firms can see that there are 40+ people ahead of you. The non-WLRK V10 are going to hire 1-3 kids each, for a total of less than 20 total. It's not like Fordham folks are aiming at other markets, so people with V5/V10 offers are going to take them. So you have a shot at the margin of top 10%, but it's not such a sure one that lower-ranked firms are going to yield protect you. Bid on CSM, etc, but realize that your targets are more like Latham, Gibson Dunn, Weil. Do not overlook V50's with big summer classes like Fried Frank, Proskauer, etc.

horseradish
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby horseradish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 pm

Those firms are not all the same level of selectivity.

Definitely bid on Kirkland - less grade oriented than DPW, Cravath, Debevoise.

Just in top 10% you have a shot at the DPW and firms of the like, but agree with previous poster that they should not be your target.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 am

rayiner wrote:Doesn't Fordham rank? If so, firms can see that there are 40+ people ahead of you. The non-WLRK V10 are going to hire 1-3 kids each, for a total of less than 20 total. It's not like Fordham folks are aiming at other markets, so people with V5/V10 offers are going to take them. So you have a shot at the margin of top 10%, but it's not such a sure one that lower-ranked firms are going to yield protect you. Bid on CSM, etc, but realize that your targets are more like Latham, Gibson Dunn, Weil. Do not overlook V50's with big summer classes like Fried Frank, Proskauer, etc.


Just funny that lower ranked firms would yield protect when at this point I would just take an offer, any offer...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Doesn't Fordham rank? If so, firms can see that there are 40+ people ahead of you. The non-WLRK V10 are going to hire 1-3 kids each, for a total of less than 20 total. It's not like Fordham folks are aiming at other markets, so people with V5/V10 offers are going to take them. So you have a shot at the margin of top 10%, but it's not such a sure one that lower-ranked firms are going to yield protect you. Bid on CSM, etc, but realize that your targets are more like Latham, Gibson Dunn, Weil. Do not overlook V50's with big summer classes like Fried Frank, Proskauer, etc.


Just funny that lower ranked firms would yield protect when at this point I would just take an offer, any offer...



OP here. Quick question: Does this mean I should not be bidding on smaller, less prestigious type firms like Hahn Hessen and Carter Ledyard? I was thinking of targeting some of those but I'm having second thoughts because of this thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:28 pm

I just made the top 10% at fordham and am working at a V5, and lots of people on LR who were not even in top 10 are working at V5. Bid on all the 1s, 2+s and then fill in the rest as you like.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just made the top 10% at fordham and am working at a V5, and lots of people on LR who were not even in top 10 are working at V5. Bid on all the 1s, 2+s and then fill in the rest as you like.


OP here. Is this a joke? I know one person (LR top 5% ish) who is working at a V5 this summer. I am not on LR. I was planning on leaving off my list: S & C, Cravath, Skadden, DPW, Weill, Kirkland, White and Case, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just made the top 10% at fordham and am working at a V5, and lots of people on LR who were not even in top 10 are working at V5. Bid on all the 1s, 2+s and then fill in the rest as you like.


OP here. Is this a joke? I know one person (LR top 5% ish) who is working at a V5 this summer. I am not on LR. I was planning on leaving off my list: S & C, Cravath, Skadden, DPW, Weill, Kirkland, White and Case, etc.


Ok, well I know at least 2 other people working at V5 from LR but I do not know their ranks, assuming top 10%. If you didn't make LR (which i don't think you would even know yet?) then I would leave those off, but if you are on LR I would bid the way I mentioned.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 pm

rayiner wrote:Doesn't Fordham rank? If so, firms can see that there are 40+ people ahead of you. The non-WLRK V10 are going to hire 1-3 kids each, for a total of less than 20 total. It's not like Fordham folks are aiming at other markets, so people with V5/V10 offers are going to take them. So you have a shot at the margin of top 10%, but it's not such a sure one that lower-ranked firms are going to yield protect you. Bid on CSM, etc, but realize that your targets are more like Latham, Gibson Dunn, Weil. Do not overlook V50's with big summer classes like Fried Frank, Proskauer, etc.


We do not rank as such, though we get rough cutoffs, and people skilled in statistics can estimate more exact placement. This is not a bad strategy, but even in the V10, I'd bid on a couple of firms with large class sizes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 am

OP here. No need to rank as I am EXACTLY on the top 10% cutoff so I am assuming there are 40 or so people ahead of me or maybe 39. I think I'm going to stay away from V10, maybe put one with my last bid just to take a shot.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:01 pm

To the OP: I really don't have any advice I can offer, but I just finished 1E and am similarly on the exact cut-off for top 10%. If you're willing to share your thoughts at the end of (or during) the OCI process, I know it'd be valuable to me next year, and I'd be happy to do whatever I could to return the favor. (If you PM me, I can share my email. No sweat if you just want to push through this without another distraction, though!)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I get that, and I was .01 above the 10% cutoff. Thats why i thought i could be helpful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. No need to rank as I am EXACTLY on the top 10% cutoff so I am assuming there are 40 or so people ahead of me or maybe 39. I think I'm going to stay away from V10, maybe put one with my last bid just to take a shot.


Why do you assume that those all 40-50 ppl ahead of you are going to get jobs that you want? You could have significant WE or something else that may make you more qualified. You have to get your foot in the door and at least try.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 pm

I agree with the post above. If you're top 10%, you have a shot at any of the V10 firms that interview at Fordham. Im not saying being top 10% will guarantee you a job at one, because obviously it wont. But its absolutely worth it to bid on more than just one. In your position, it would not be unreasonable to bid on every V10 interviewing at Fordham.

fordham2325
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby fordham2325 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 am

100% agree to bid on all of the top firms. If you are within (or close to) the top 10%, you have a chance at any of those firms and I have many friends from Fordham working at a V5 with those grades. Don't be scared off because 40 or so people are in front of you. Once you make the firm grade cut-off, it could very well could come down to personality during the interview.

OnceUponAMemo
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: FORDHAM "barely" TOP 10% where to bid?

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:03 am

I would not bid on DPW, Cravath or S & C if I were you. Other than that, it's fair game. Make sure to have the middle ranked firms in there though, your focus should be on firms ranked 15-50 probably.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.