HLS 2012 EIP Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get offers in the Chicago market other than Jenner?


Skadden, Winston, Mayer, and Sidley.

Skadden, same day
Winston, next day
Mayer and Sidley, two day later
Ding at K&E


Sorry about Kirkland, but can I ask when your cb was and how you got the ding (email/mail)?


Offer from Kirkland today via snail mail and phone call. CB early week 2

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Offer from Ropes NY

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Bingham Boston offer. Callback early week 1.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:53 pm

STILL no Paul Weiss DC??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:STILL no Paul Weiss DC??

I know for a fact that they've given at least some offers, I think over the past day or two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:STILL no Paul Weiss DC??

I know for a fact that they've given at least some offers, I think over the past day or two.

Also, last Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get offers in the Chicago market other than Jenner?


Skadden, Winston, Mayer, and Sidley.

Skadden, same day
Winston, next day
Mayer and Sidley, two day later
Ding at K&E


Sorry about Kirkland, but can I ask when your cb was and how you got the ding (email/mail)?


cb first week after EIP, ding through snail mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 pm

HLS 1 L here.

Do we have a general sense of how this year ended up? See a lot of happy posters, but difficult to tell without knowing where in the class posters were and what they were looking for. All in all a pretty good year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HLS 1 L here.

Do we have a general sense of how this year ended up? See a lot of happy posters, but difficult to tell without knowing where in the class posters were and what they were looking for. All in all a pretty good year?


I know two people who struck out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

I know 1 person who struck out. My somewhat limited impression is that things are slightly more difficult than last year across the board.

*Before people call me out for spewing anecdotal BS, that's basically what OP was asking for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:25 pm

It went worse than I thought it would for a lot of people, and I went in fairly pessimistic. Though I don't know too many people who flat out struck out, I do several who came fairly close, and a decent number of people who aren't that happy with the firm they ended up with (though they're grateful to have gotten something at all).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HLS 1 L here.

Do we have a general sense of how this year ended up? See a lot of happy posters, but difficult to tell without knowing where in the class posters were and what they were looking for. All in all a pretty good year?

I know 2 people who got pwned, both for bidding poorly. I know 2 who got stuck in NYC not by choice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It went worse than I thought it would for a lot of people, and I went in fairly pessimistic. Though I don't know too many people who flat out struck out, I do several who came fairly close, and a decent number of people who aren't that happy with the firm they ended up with (though they're grateful to have gotten something at all).


I found it varied a lot person to person, given similar circumstances, and did not correlate with grades as strongly as I expected. In particular, the people I know with work experience absolutely cleaned up. TBF, though, I haven't talked to a huge amount of people about jobs yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It went worse than I thought it would for a lot of people, and I went in fairly pessimistic. Though I don't know too many people who flat out struck out, I do several who came fairly close, and a decent number of people who aren't that happy with the firm they ended up with (though they're grateful to have gotten something at all).


I found it varied a lot person to person, given similar circumstances, and did not correlate with grades as strongly as I expected. In particular, the people I know with work experience absolutely cleaned up. TBF, though, I haven't talked to a huge amount of people about jobs yet.

It does vary. Personally, I had average grades and was nervous about interviewing skills and appearance. Was really excited to get a shit ton of callbacks, but disappointed with a small number of offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Agree with what everyone else has said. I think it was somewhat worse than last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I'd say that people I knew with phenomenal grades and/or law review did as well as expected. I saw people with strong, but not phenomenal, grades do poorly, though. It seems that if you don't hit the sweet spot of safety in terms of grades, then they start to wash out and other factors come into play. This is just conjecture, though, and I could be very wrong. I'd have to see actual data to be anywhere near certain, and we'll never get that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

On a more positive note- everyone that I know did very well and had a healthy choice of firms. And, a few (including myself) out performed our grades. I'm sure there are people who didn't do as well as they would have liked (as indicated ITT) but that could be from a combination of factors.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd say that people I knew with phenomenal grades and/or law review did as well as expected. I saw people with strong, but not phenomenal, grades do poorly, though. It seems that if you don't hit the sweet spot of safety in terms of grades, then they start to wash out and other factors come into play. This is just conjecture, though, and I could be very wrong. I'd have to see actual date to be anywhere near certain, and we'll never get that.


I'd agree with this.
(Though I know one guy on law review who got a lot of callbacks, but not a ton of offers)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd say that people I knew with phenomenal grades and/or law review did as well as expected. I saw people with strong, but not phenomenal, grades do poorly, though. It seems that if you don't hit the sweet spot of safety in terms of grades, then they start to wash out and other factors come into play. This is just conjecture, though, and I could be very wrong. I'd have to see actual data to be anywhere near certain, and we'll never get that.
I agree with this. Was at median-ish, and saw people with similar "softs" but better grades clean up. Also saw people with worse grades and better "softs" do better than I did. I myself didn't do as well as I had hoped in terms of options, though I'm happy with the firm I'll end up at.
Note: When you're comparing callbacks/offers and your friends have 17/13 and you have 5/2, you feel like a loser. When the dust settles and your friend is going to Paul Weiss and you're going to Cahill, it's NBD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Was DC still a tough egg to crack? How many around Median were able to snag something in DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was DC still a tough egg to crack? How many around Median were able to snag something in DC?


Got DC with below median (ultimately accepted an offer in another city).. had relevant experience/knowledge to certain DC regulatory practices though
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was DC still a tough egg to crack? How many around Median were able to snag something in DC?


Got DC with way below median (ultimately accepted an offer in another city).. had relevant experience/knowledge to certain DC regulatory practices though


DC was tough this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:47 am

I got the complete opposite impression of the doom and gloom in this thread. Know multiple people with top offers that have below median grades. It really comes down to personality and how you click with your interviewer. It's kind of disheartening how random the whole process is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was DC still a tough egg to crack? How many around Median were able to snag something in DC?


Got DC with way below median (ultimately accepted an offer in another city).. had relevant experience/knowledge to certain DC regulatory practices though


DC was tough this year.


I have above median grades and almost struck out after bidding exclusively on DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got the complete opposite impression of the doom and gloom in this thread. Know multiple people with top offers that have below median grades. It really comes down to personality and how you click with your interviewer. It's kind of disheartening how random the whole process is.


what are top offers and what are below median grades? we talking straight Ps going to V10? or a few Hs going to V30?
Everyone I know with 0-2Ps are going to V60-V100 firms (6 or 7 people), but could just be the people I know.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.