HLS 2012 EIP Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bingham Boston offer


When'd you interview with them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Monday. They told me I wouldn't receive a decision for approx 3 weeks though

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Reading the NALP guidelines it appears that law students are supposed to be given 28 days to accept an offer. A firm gave me an offer and said the offer would be open for 10 days. Can they do that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bingham Boston offer


When'd you interview with them?
:(

Does not bode well for me then. Also interviewed early this week and silence.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Bingham Boston is weird. I know someone there who interviewed in September 2011 and didn't get an offer until late October. I wouldn't worry too much.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reading the NALP guidelines it appears that law students are supposed to be given 28 days to accept an offer. A firm gave me an offer and said the offer would be open for 10 days. Can they do that?

Technically, no. But it's going to look really bad if you demand your "right" to wait 28 days. Start out by saying you're very thankful for the offer, but you need an extra week or two to see what all of your options are before making a decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bingham Boston is weird. I know someone there who interviewed in September 2011 and didn't get an offer until late October. I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree. They're only taking 6 summers, so I think they're going to be a bit more deliberate than other big firms. You're not necessarily out of the running if you don't hear back days after your callback.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Friend received W&C at dinner last night.

Do you happen to know who his/her interviewer was/has Anyone heard from EM?


Wondering this myself. Anyone received a callback from EM?

westbayguy
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby westbayguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reading the NALP guidelines it appears that law students are supposed to be given 28 days to accept an offer. A firm gave me an offer and said the offer would be open for 10 days. Can they do that?

Technically, no. But it's going to look really bad if you demand your "right" to wait 28 days. Start out by saying you're very thankful for the offer, but you need an extra week or two to see what all of your options are before making a decision.


Talk to your career office- they should tell the firm that 10 days offers are not permitted by NALP, and if they don';t agree they will be banned from recruiting. You don't have to be the bad guy here

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bingham Boston is weird. I know someone there who interviewed in September 2011 and didn't get an offer until late October. I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree. They're only taking 6 summers, so I think they're going to be a bit more deliberate than other big firms. You're not necessarily out of the running if you don't hear back days after your callback.


Not that it significantly changes things, but I am pretty sure they told me 8 at my callback.. could be wrong though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bingham Boston is weird. I know someone there who interviewed in September 2011 and didn't get an offer until late October. I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree. They're only taking 6 summers, so I think they're going to be a bit more deliberate than other big firms. You're not necessarily out of the running if you don't hear back days after your callback.


Not that it significantly changes things, but I am pretty sure they told me 8 at my callback.. could be wrong though.


I heard 9 at my callback. Could've been 8. Def. not 6.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bingham Boston is weird. I know someone there who interviewed in September 2011 and didn't get an offer until late October. I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree. They're only taking 6 summers, so I think they're going to be a bit more deliberate than other big firms. You're not necessarily out of the running if you don't hear back days after your callback.


Not that it significantly changes things, but I am pretty sure they told me 8 at my callback.. could be wrong though.


I heard 9 at my callback. Could've been 8. Def. not 6.


Yeah I wasn't sure of the exact size, but was just trying to emphasize that their class is tiny compared to WH/GP/Ropes. Sorry!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Anyone hear from Freshfields (NY) post CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 pm

JD LA Ding email

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JD LA Ding email

Hmmm maybe D.C. dings are coming soon too?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:JD LA Ding email

Hmmm maybe D.C. dings are coming soon too?


Maybe. For what it's worth, when I interviewed with JD DC last spring I thought I had a great interview and really hit it off with the people, ended up getting a snail mail ding like a month later. So you may be waiting for some time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Anybody hear from Milbank New York JM?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Gibson Dunn NY callback this afternoon. MG/YY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Freshfields (NY) post CB?


Got an offer day after callback

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Freshfields (NY) post CB?


Got an offer day after callback


Congrats! Would you be willing to share when the CB was, initials of who with, and/or stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Callback was early this week. Don't want to be much more specific, but I don't think stats played a large role post-screener.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:22 am

GertrudePerkins wrote:
bobjones23 wrote:What firm will have the best exit options? Covington/Wilmer/Gibson DC, or Simpson/Cleary/Davis NYC? I'm indifferent between ending up in NYC or DC. I'm wondering what would be better for my career, long-term.
I suspect there's really no answer to this question as posed. If you want to wind up working in-house for an NYC financial firm, then probably going to NYC would help. If you want to wind up working for the FDA, go to Covington and do regulatory work. I don't think "best exit options" means anything absent specific career goals.


Agree with the above. But what about for litigation specifically? Don't DC firms generally offer more interesting litigation opportunities than NYC firms? I hear about armies of NYC junior lit associates doing months of doc review. I wonder if it's different in DC. Interviewing in both cities ...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

morgan lewis DC - interviewers AJ and TP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:27 am

Does anyone know what happened to the bay area offices for Wilson Sonsini and Sidley Austin?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273158
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:55 am

Anyone else completely striking out with their market of choice? :cry:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.