HLS 2012 EIP Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bobjones23
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:00 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby bobjones23 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:08 am

What firm will have the best exit options? Covington/Wilmer/Gibson DC, or Simpson/Cleary/Davis NYC? I'm indifferent between ending up in NYC or DC. I'm wondering what would be better for my career, long-term.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:00 am

Wilmer dc email ding (bc)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am

For the Cravath callback, when they say to bring your transcript and white out your social security number, are they ok with an unofficial transcript? Or do they really want an official transcript?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yea, my sense is that NY firms and DC firms (besides AP and Cov) are selective in different ways. NY firms are grade selective, with some requiring 7 Hs, and DC firms are often very 'fit' selective, taking people with a lot of PI or government internship/work experience. It's not that Akin etc require more Hs than Cravath or Sullcrom. That's why in the end SullCrom has more industry prestige, at least according to rankings.


Just FYI, there are no NY firms that require at least 7 Hs. That's a fact.

Also FYI, there are no firms that would waste the expense of a callback on you unless you met whatever grade "cutoff" they may have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yea, my sense is that NY firms and DC firms (besides AP and Cov) are selective in different ways. NY firms are grade selective, with some requiring 7 Hs, and DC firms are often very 'fit' selective, taking people with a lot of PI or government internship/work experience. It's not that Akin etc require more Hs than Cravath or Sullcrom. That's why in the end SullCrom has more industry prestige, at least according to rankings.


Just FYI, there are no NY firms that require at least 7 Hs. That's a fact.

Also FYI, there are no firms that would waste the expense of a callback on you unless you met whatever grade "cutoff" they may have.

WLRK

GertrudePerkins
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby GertrudePerkins » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am

bobjones23 wrote:What firm will have the best exit options? Covington/Wilmer/Gibson DC, or Simpson/Cleary/Davis NYC? I'm indifferent between ending up in NYC or DC. I'm wondering what would be better for my career, long-term.
I suspect there's really no answer to this question as posed. If you want to wind up working in-house for an NYC financial firm, then probably going to NYC would help. If you want to wind up working for the FDA, go to Covington and do regulatory work. I don't think "best exit options" means anything absent specific career goals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wilmer dc email ding (bc)

any more of these?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yea, my sense is that NY firms and DC firms (besides AP and Cov) are selective in different ways. NY firms are grade selective, with some requiring 7 Hs, and DC firms are often very 'fit' selective, taking people with a lot of PI or government internship/work experience. It's not that Akin etc require more Hs than Cravath or Sullcrom. That's why in the end SullCrom has more industry prestige, at least according to rankings.


Just FYI, there are no NY firms that require at least 7 Hs. That's a fact.

Also FYI, there are no firms that would waste the expense of a callback on you unless you met whatever grade "cutoff" they may have.

WLRK


WLRK does not have a 7 H cut-off.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 am

Wiley Rein DC (SM)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wilmer dc email ding (bc)

any more of these?


yeah...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 am

McDermott NY CB via email just now

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wilmer dc email ding (bc)

any more of these?


yeah...


Any from interviewer DB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:43 am

WilmerDC ding AO

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 am

BCG McKinsey email CB's. Anyone out there doing consulting CB's want to practice case interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yea, my sense is that NY firms and DC firms (besides AP and Cov) are selective in different ways. NY firms are grade selective, with some requiring 7 Hs, and DC firms are often very 'fit' selective, taking people with a lot of PI or government internship/work experience. It's not that Akin etc require more Hs than Cravath or Sullcrom. That's why in the end SullCrom has more industry prestige, at least according to rankings.


Just FYI, there are no NY firms that require at least 7 Hs. That's a fact.

Also FYI, there are no firms that would waste the expense of a callback on you unless you met whatever grade "cutoff" they may have.

WLRK


WLRK does not have a 7 H cut-off.


I had more Hs than that, and didn't receive a WLRK callback. I do have a terrible personality, however.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cleary DC and Jones Day are less selective, but they're giving CB's and offers to significantly fewer people than either S&C or Cravath. The numbers are up on Symplicity, and they pretty clearly indicate that the tippity-top students at HLS overwhelmingly flock to DC.


I don't know about that. It seems that a pretty large number of Law Review types go to LA and NY firms. S&C had 4 or 5 HLR kids last year and the top LA firms like Munger, Irell, and Gibson had a good half dozen to 10 HLR people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cleary DC and Jones Day are less selective, but they're giving CB's and offers to significantly fewer people than either S&C or Cravath. The numbers are up on Symplicity, and they pretty clearly indicate that the tippity-top students at HLS overwhelmingly flock to DC.


I don't know about that. It seems that a pretty large number of Law Review types go to LA and NY firms. S&C had 4 or 5 HLR kids last year and the top LA firms like Munger, Irell, and Gibson had a good half dozen to 10 HLR people.


Top LA firms got three law review people last year, and I think none the previous year. Many do go to NY though, and tons to DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Anyone hear from Jones Day DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm

anyone heard from Crowell NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cleary DC and Jones Day are less selective, but they're giving CB's and offers to significantly fewer people than either S&C or Cravath. The numbers are up on Symplicity, and they pretty clearly indicate that the tippity-top students at HLS overwhelmingly flock to DC.


I don't know about that. It seems that a pretty large number of Law Review types go to LA and NY firms. S&C had 4 or 5 HLR kids last year and the top LA firms like Munger, Irell, and Gibson had a good half dozen to 10 HLR people.


Sure, my initial statement was probably too broad. Plenty of LR/magna people work in NY, and most of those are at WLRK/S&C/Cravath (and some go to DPW/Cleary/Debevoise as well, but generally not the rest of the V15). I was just trying to illustrate that firms like Jenner DC, Akin DC, and some others are no less selective than the most selective NY firms, even though they are not ranked as highly by Vault.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Any news from Skadden/Jones Day/Sherman DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Skadden/Jones Day/Sherman DC?


Skadden DC CB last Thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Finally got the OMM CC ding after sitting in no man's land for a week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Cleary NYC ding by email, interviewer BP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Skadden/Jones Day/Sherman DC?

Shearman CB yesterday, interviewer JG




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.