HLS 2012 EIP Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS 2012 EIP Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard from Sidley Chicago
Yup

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Email ding from Jenner DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm

E-mail ding from Schulte Roth NY (SS).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Email ding from Goodwin Boston

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Wilmer Boston, Jenner DC, Covington NY, Covington DC dings

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 pm

snail mail or email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Also, callbacks SUCK. Doing callbacks at firms with low cb:offer ratios = 4 or 5 more interviews. Have some with 90% cb:offer ratios latter in the week and I imagine they'll be far more pleasant!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wilmer Boston, Jenner DC, Covington NY, Covington DC dings
Wilmer, Jenner emails. Covington joint mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Paul Hastings Palo Alto

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, Wilmer Boston ding email. Is Boston slower this year or is it just me? (Although Wilmer was a reach regardless.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Did you feel like the Jenner email was personalized? Because I did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

So I did 26 screeners. Right now it seems like I will have 6 CBs and 20 dings. I already have 15 rejections. Strange thing is though, I have 3 V5 callbacks and another callback is top 10 on vault's selectivity rankings and has been top 5. So isn't it weird to go 6 for 26 yet have 4 CBs from among the 10 most selective and grade-conscious firms. Isn't it usually the case that the same people get CBs to the most selective firms? For somebody with such a huge pile of rejections how can I explain sitting on 4 very, very desirable callbacks? Also, how do I explain the rejections? The bunch of DC rejections I get but the v50 NY and Boston firms and even the lower DC firms...? Is it really the case that firms like SullCrom, Cravath, and Davis Polk, are easier to get than firms like JonesDay, Jenner, Akin, and Cleary in DC? How can Akin Gump be more selective than Cravath... or am I just an outlier? It feels shitty to get so many rejections so I'm just trying to wrap my head around my situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you feel like the Jenner email was personalized? Because I did.
Yep

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Any word from Latham SF?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I did 26 screeners. Right now it seems like I will have 6 CBs and 20 dings. I already have 15 rejections. Strange thing is though, I have 3 V5 callbacks and another callback is top 10 on vault's selectivity rankings and has been top 5. So isn't it weird to go 6 for 26 yet have 4 CBs from among the 10 most selective and grade-conscious firms. Isn't it usually the case that the same people get CBs to the most selective firms? For somebody with such a huge pile of rejections how can I explain sitting on 4 very, very desirable callbacks? Also, how do I explain the rejections? The bunch of DC rejections I get but the v50 NY and Boston firms and even the lower DC firms...? Is it really the case that firms like SullCrom, Cravath, and Davis Polk, are easier to get than firms like JonesDay, Jenner, Akin, and Cleary in DC? How can Akin Gump be more selective than Cravath... or am I just an outlier? It feels shitty to get so many rejections so I'm just trying to wrap my head around my situation.
So if you look at the EIP stats from last year, you will see that the interview: offer ratio is indeed higher (much higher, in fact) for SullCrom, Cravath, and Davis Polk than for the DC firms. I added them to my bid list for that reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

any wilmer dc? specifically interviewer bc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I did 26 screeners. Right now it seems like I will have 6 CBs and 20 dings. I already have 15 rejections. Strange thing is though, I have 3 V5 callbacks and another callback is top 10 on vault's selectivity rankings and has been top 5. So isn't it weird to go 6 for 26 yet have 4 CBs from among the 10 most selective and grade-conscious firms. Isn't it usually the case that the same people get CBs to the most selective firms? For somebody with such a huge pile of rejections how can I explain sitting on 4 very, very desirable callbacks? Also, how do I explain the rejections? The bunch of DC rejections I get but the v50 NY and Boston firms and even the lower DC firms...? Is it really the case that firms like SullCrom, Cravath, and Davis Polk, are easier to get than firms like JonesDay, Jenner, Akin, and Cleary in DC? How can Akin Gump be more selective than Cravath... or am I just an outlier? It feels shitty to get so many rejections so I'm just trying to wrap my head around my situation.
So if you look at the EIP stats from last year, you will see that the interview: offer ratio is indeed higher (much higher, in fact) for SullCrom, Cravath, and Davis Polk than for the DC firms. I added them to my bid list for that reason.
It's weird though as some of the seemingly more desirable firms like WilmerHale have pretty high rate's 21% compared to firms like DavisPolk 27% Cravath 35 or SullCrom 40% and SimpsonThatcher 19%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The counterpoint is that firms that are more grade selective tend to get more grade selective applicants. I was not going to pass the SullCrom grade cutoff, so I didn't waste a bid on them. A former interviewer at SullCrom told me that they basically look only to grades and pretty much anyone who can carry on a conversation gets a callback. But (I surmise) no one who doesn't have six H gets one. So they're "safer" in a way if you have the grades, but if you don't they're just a wasted bid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The counterpoint is that firms that are more grade selective tend to get more grade selective applicants. I was not going to pass the SullCrom grade cutoff, so I didn't waste a bid on them. A former interviewer at SullCrom told me that they basically look only to grades and pretty much anyone who can carry on a conversation gets a callback. But (I surmise) no one who doesn't have six H gets one. So they're "safer" in a way if you have the grades, but if you don't they're just a wasted bid.
Got Sullcrom DC with 5 Hs. Def less competitive than NYC though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm

K&L Gates LA CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Wiley Rein (TH)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is it true that sullcrom callbacks are really just offers. So any Harvard student with 6 or 7 Hs pretty much automatically gets an offer at SullivanCromwell? That's cool. Still ridiculous that DC firms other than W&C, Covington, Wilmer, and ArnoldPorter seemingly require better grades than SullCrom or Cravath. Are there really people with 6, 7, even 8 Hs who end up working at places like Akin Gump, Jenner, JonesDay, or Cleary DC or are these seemingly more selective DC firms drawing from a larger range of grades and selecting based on things like previous government or PI work experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Does anyone know/want to speculate on how much grades matter at the callback stage for firms known to have pretty strict grade cutoffs (which I obviously fall below)? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Do people ever get rejected at a firm's office in one city and offered at another (i.e. CB-offer at Wilmer DC and ding at Boston)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 pm

White and Case Miami

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”