Asking to meet w V50 partner

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yogurt31

Asking to meet w V50 partner

Postby yogurt31 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:17 pm

A friend's parent is a partner at a V50 firm that is a small reach for me w my gpa. Friend said i should contact said parent. What should i say in the email? What should i ask to do with them? Im hoping to just talk with them about their experiences and be able to bring their name up in oci in the fall.

Anonymous User

Re: Asking to meet w V50 partner

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:44 pm

At my firm the partners are very candid with summer associates and full-time associates.
So if this partner thinks you really want to be at this firm he/she may be willing to be very forthcoming with you about firm specifics. Take advantage.
Ask about practice areas the firm is doing well in and not so well in
Where does the partner envision the firm growing the most in the next 3-5 years
If you're in a particular city and want to look at other regions you could ask about expansion
Ask if that partner typically works directly with the summer associate program and if so what are some things to note about successful summer associates

If you want to really delve in:
Ask the partner how he/she came to work at the firm (came in as a lateral and made partner, came in as partner, has been there since 1st year associate)...and then you can probably parlay that into other questions about why that firm offered better options and what the path is like from associate to partner
--But a caveat try and keep it to more short term goals and stay away from too many questions about what it takes to be partner or what it takes to firm hop. Tread lightly when talking about moving up and on.

Mentorship is really big at most firms. Ask how that operates?
Inquire about how summer associates are given feedback--which probably is also how they're considered for offers
If that partner is on the hiring committee you can ask if they look for any types of courses or a level of interest
If you don't already know (from the firm's website) you can ask about the rotation of work--is it a formal process where you spend so many weeks in an area or are you free to get work from all over (many firms do the latter. be weary of firms with formal rotations you can get stuck in a practice area with nothing going on for 3-4 weeks while you're there and you'll have nothing to show for that time)
Also you may want to know how the firm places new associates into practice group--do you get a year or two in order to finalize a choice or is it strictly needs of the firm.

OH--and if you get an interview you can bring up to the interviewer that you had an opportunity to speak with Partner X and he informed you that.... and insert some detail of interest to the interviewer. Preferably something about a practice area of interest or about something good the firm is doing that makes it more appealing to you (while subtly name-dropping). And as with any name drop you run the risk that the name you drop is not a favorable one.

yogurt31

Re: Asking to meet w V50 partner

Postby yogurt31 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my firm the partners are very candid with summer associates and full-time associates.
So if this partner thinks you really want to be at this firm he/she may be willing to be very forthcoming with you about firm specifics. Take advantage.
Ask about practice areas the firm is doing well in and not so well in
Where does the partner envision the firm growing the most in the next 3-5 years
If you're in a particular city and want to look at other regions you could ask about expansion
Ask if that partner typically works directly with the summer associate program and if so what are some things to note about successful summer associates

If you want to really delve in:
Ask the partner how he/she came to work at the firm (came in as a lateral and made partner, came in as partner, has been there since 1st year associate)...and then you can probably parlay that into other questions about why that firm offered better options and what the path is like from associate to partner
--But a caveat try and keep it to more short term goals and stay away from too many questions about what it takes to be partner or what it takes to firm hop. Tread lightly when talking about moving up and on.

Mentorship is really big at most firms. Ask how that operates?
Inquire about how summer associates are given feedback--which probably is also how they're considered for offers
If that partner is on the hiring committee you can ask if they look for any types of courses or a level of interest
If you don't already know (from the firm's website) you can ask about the rotation of work--is it a formal process where you spend so many weeks in an area or are you free to get work from all over (many firms do the latter. be weary of firms with formal rotations you can get stuck in a practice area with nothing going on for 3-4 weeks while you're there and you'll have nothing to show for that time)
Also you may want to know how the firm places new associates into practice group--do you get a year or two in order to finalize a choice or is it strictly needs of the firm.

OH--and if you get an interview you can bring up to the interviewer that you had an opportunity to speak with Partner X and he informed you that.... and insert some detail of interest to the interviewer. Preferably something about a practice area of interest or about something good the firm is doing that makes it more appealing to you (while subtly name-dropping). And as with any name drop you run the risk that the name you drop is not a favorable one.

this is great advice, and I'll definitely use it in some of the meetings i have with other contacts. however, i should have been more specific: the tone of my conversations with my friend has been more along the lines of "my parent can help you figure out what kind of law you want to do/do you want to do biglaw" instead of like what life is like at this firm particularly. so i'm imagining it to be pretty informal. on that note, i do want to do biglaw, and this firm would be a good fit for me, and i don't want to be seen as wishy washy to a partner, either. ahhhh

Return to “Legal Employment”